Getting Pumped for 2011!

sin city sox fan

The way we are finishing this season is really getting me excited for next season. The pitching is solid. The hitting is timely. The execution is practically flawless.

Bring back Viz. Bring back Manny. Bring back Paulie.

Lets add a healthy Jake. A healthy Gordon. And a rejuvanated Oz to lead the bunch.

When's spring training start? I can't wait to see our run to the 2011 World Series.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Yeah one problem. The Twins are still better than us by 5+ games. And they have money to spend. This team without upgrading (and I mean keeping Paulie/getting Jake) still tops out at 90 wins, IMO. I have a feeling the Twins could have a huge run of division titles in the near future.

I disagree.....this team wins 110+ games next year the way its playing now. There's no way the Twins come even close to that number.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
I'm not sure the Twin's have that much cash to throw around, what with Mauer getting rich and half the roster reaching arb.

Opening a new stadium and bringing in 3+ mill fans along with any revenues that come along with making the playoffs will help them spend a bit more money. I have no doubt that they'll have a higher payroll than the Sox next season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
Opening a new stadium and bringing in 3+ mill fans along with any revenues that come along with making the playoffs will help them spend a bit more money. I have no doubt that they'll have a higher payroll than the Sox next season.

This is still the Twins though. They're legendarily cheap in some ways.

They have a couple things that could legitimately help them in addition to the ballpark; if they keep Thome and he makes a run for 600 that's a ticket sale boost. They've probably also received some sort of insurance compensation on at least Nathan, if not Nathan and Morneau.

Its all about how much money the Sox are willing to spend on player payroll in 2011. If they are willing to boost it a bit, not even a lot, then I am honestly pretty optimistic about next year. I mean, this team will probably win 87-88 games, after having lost their best SP for most of the year, and having a closer that sucked basically all year - two things that seem unlikely to repeat in 2011. The one obvious hole the team had was the DH debacle, and I highly doubt KW will let that happen again, even if Ozzie begs.

And look at those three things for next year. Bobby and his $7M+ likely salary will be gone, with Thornton or Putz to close. Peavy, probably, will be healthy for 2011, and we have up to 7 possible major league starters, which most teams would be jealous of. DH, well, we'll see how that goes, but I predict a near-zero chance we end up with a Kotsay/Jones level disaster again.

One other thing - The Twins are having a magical year, playing at an absurd pace for the final 4 months (not 4 weeks - 4 months). The chance of any team repeating that sort of thing year over year is always very low in baseball.

So you guys can be sarcastic, but my concern slides on the scale of money available to spend. If payroll has the flexibility to go up a bit, I feel pretty good, pending the offseason moves. If its the same or lower, then it will take some miracle moves from KW to give me the same level of confidence.

I realize that this thread was started in jest, but I am looking forward to 2011. I'm hoping for a busy off-season, and solidifying the DH spot should be one of the top priorities. I don't see the Sox signing Manny, but you never know. A one year incentive-laden deal might be just the thing he (and the Sox) would need. If Peavy is healthy, the Sox should have a pretty good starting rotation, albeit an expensive one. And of course right field is a bit of a concern.

I agree money is the big issue for 2011. Buehrle, Peavy, Jackson, Floyd, and Danks would account for about $47 million next year. Two of our three outfielders account for another $20.5 million. Teahen (who will most likely end up being an expensive bench/fill-in guy), Alexei, and Beckham make up another $6.5 million. Linebrink and Thornton are another $8.5 million, and if they re-signed Putz he'd be another $4 million or so. Adding in a few million here and there for Vizquel (maybe), Jones (maybe), etc. you're looking at about $90 million.

Holes to fill would be 1st base, DH, and catcher. How much would the Sox be willing to spend for those spots?

Without some trades being made to free up salary, you might be looking at upwards of $110 million. I'm thinking that some cost is going to be sacrificed at 1st, DH, or C. I'd like to see Konerko back and VMart at C, but that's easily $20 million right there. AJ would be a cheaper option at C, and I'd be okay with that in a one year deal.

No matter what, I think it's going to be a busy off season. Let's hope it's a good one.

I think... I HOPE that Konerko comes back... unless Kenny can figure out how to get Adrian Gonzalez here (which is fantasy at this point). I'd be happy with AJ coming back for another year.

I think the Sox should do whatever it takes to fill the holes in RF and the DH position. That is where money should be spent. Plus we need to get lucky and pick up a few relievers that are going to have good years next year.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I think... I HOPE that Konerko comes back... unless Kenny can figure out how to get Adrian Gonzalez here (which is fantasy at this point). I'd be happy with AJ coming back for another year.

I think the Sox should do whatever it takes to fill the holes in RF and the DH position. That is where money should be spent. Plus we need to get lucky and pick up a few relievers that are going to have good years next year.

Danks or Floyd as part of a package would most likely land A-Gon, IMO. In that ballpark, Danks could put up some ridiculous numbers, and it's the NL on top of that

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Danks or Floyd as part of a package would most likely land A-Gon, IMO. In that ballpark, Danks could put up some ridiculous numbers, and it's the NL on top of that

Yeah maybe a package that includes Beckham, Sale, Thornton, Morel, and Kenny Williams' lower testicle. NO WAY the Padres trade that guy now that they are close to making the playoffs.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
Yeah one problem. The Twins are still better than us by 5+ games. And they have money to spend. This team without upgrading (and I mean keeping Paulie/getting Jake) still tops out at 90 wins, IMO. I have a feeling the Twins could have a huge run of division titles in the near future.

Where were all these "the Twins will dominate us for years" posts in mid July at the All Star Break, when we were in first ahead of the Tigers and led the Twins by 3.5 games?

Everything clicked for the Twins in the second half. This won't continue forever. In fact, it looks like they are going to limp into the postseason. They've lost 5 straight, the starting pitching has gone south, Mauer and Thome are injured, and Morneau is done for the year. And to top it off they have the Sports Illustrated cover jinx to deal with.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
The way we are finishing this season is really getting me excited for next season. The pitching is solid. The hitting is timely. The execution is practically flawless.

Bring back Viz. Bring back Manny. Bring back Paulie.

Lets add a healthy Jake. A healthy Gordon. And a rejuvanated Oz to lead the bunch.

When's spring training start? I can't wait to see our run to the 2011 World Series.

I haven't even read the other responses in this thread yet, but I'll just get this out of the way right now. This is typical of the Sox. We're competitive until the last month and a half, we choke, and then we finish out the season strong when we're already out of contention.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
I haven't even read the other responses in this thread yet, but I'll just get this out of the way right now. This is typical of the Sox. We're competitive until the last month and a half, we choke, and then we finish out the season strong when we're already out of contention.

I think he meant to type that in green.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
Its all about how much money the Sox are willing to spend on player payroll in 2011. If they are willing to boost it a bit, not even a lot, then I am honestly pretty optimistic about next year. I mean, this team will probably win 87-88 games, after having lost their best SP for most of the year, and having a closer that sucked basically all year - two things that seem unlikely to repeat in 2011. The one obvious hole the team had was the DH debacle, and I highly doubt KW will let that happen again, even if Ozzie begs.

And look at those three things for next year. Bobby and his $7M+ likely salary will be gone, with Thornton or Putz to close. Peavy, probably, will be healthy for 2011, and we have up to 7 possible major league starters, which most teams would be jealous of. DH, well, we'll see how that goes, but I predict a near-zero chance we end up with a Kotsay/Jones level disaster again.

One other thing - The Twins are having a magical year, playing at an absurd pace for the final 4 months (not 4 weeks - 4 months). The chance of any team repeating that sort of thing year over year is always very low in baseball.

So you guys can be sarcastic, but my concern slides on the scale of money available to spend. If payroll has the flexibility to go up a bit, I feel pretty good, pending the offseason moves. If its the same or lower, then it will take some miracle moves from KW to give me the same level of confidence.

I don't see any reason to think that that is probable.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 05:23 AM)
I disagree.....this team wins 110+ games next year the way its playing now. There's no way the Twins come even close to that number.

I don't know about 110 games, but with a better bullpen and a full-time good DH we will compete with the Twins IMO. I do think we need to bring back AJP, Vizquel and Paul Konerko. I am still unsure about Manny Ramirez, but the players like him and that says a lot. If he was healthy all year he might produce 20-25 homers and hit .300 again and drive in runs

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I don't see any reason to think that that is probable.

You mean other than the fact that everything reported so far has him ready for Spring Training?

I mean, obviously, with an obscure injury like this, you never really know. But everything said about the nature of the injury and the surgery, and rehab so far, indicates things are as good as can be expected. So yeah, I'll stick with probable.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Actually he's not. He hurt his ankle running bases, not pitching. Granted his injury this year was severe, but that doesn't make him injury-prone.

He hasn't hit 200 innings since 2007 though. His injuries may be freak ones...but those are starting to add up.