Mike Quade Named Cubs Manager

chetkincaid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
The Question is: Would some of the Anti-Ozzie people on this site be willing to take on Ryno as the next Sox skipper?

No, but if Cora gets a job, I would love the Sox to hire him to take Joey's place. It would really make Cubs fans mad, and I'm sure he's capable of doing whatever it is Cora does. He made the same shifts as Beckham. SS to 3B to 2B. That couldn't hurt.

As to Quade, I think he's a solid hire. He's obviously not a big name, but seems to know what's going on and is respected. They still should suck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
I think a large part of it was that they thought he just wasn't ready, he's only been a manager in the minors for a couple years and he's never dealt with major league managing in any capacity.

I wonder if they won't try to get him on as a bench coach to get him up to the big league level.

That bench coach thing makes sense.

The strange thing is the guy is a Hall of Fame baseball player who has put in a few seasons in the minors.

How "ready" do you have to be in baseball?

It's also strange the Cubs are to the point it is a noncontender.

Hope that doesn't happen to our Sox. It can happen seemingly in the blink of an eye.

The Cubs were a nonfactor all summer.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Mike Quade is there to take his lumps for a couple of years while the team is bad and cutting payroll and go from there.

The Cards and Reds will make that division tougher than it has been and who knows about the Brewers, Astros and Pira....well we know the pirates are going to suck.

Pretty much. It's like the Bulls hiring VDN as a lameduck coach. They had no intention of keeping him beyond his contract. Only difference is the Cubs have no Derrick Rose coming up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
The Question is: Would some of the Anti-Ozzie people on this site be willing to take on Ryno as the next Sox skipper?

No.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Not if he's addicted to small ball like he's been in the minors. Quade was a solid hire for the Cubs. The players like him, and he's great at putting out well-constructed lineups.

And this is why.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Pretty much. It's like the Bulls hiring VDN as a lameduck coach. They had no intention of keeping him beyond his contract. Only difference is the Cubs have no Derrick Rose coming up.

Well, not exactly...part of the VDN hire was also that no one else wanted the job.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Not true. D'Antoni wanted the job. Doug Collins, Thibodeau. Everyone wanted the job to be honest.

No, you're wrong. D'Antoni might have considered it but jumped at the Knicks before the Bulls got around to making an offer. The job was given to Doug Collins but he decided he didn't want to coach again at the time. Thibs, I can't remember if he even got interviewed, but that process dragged on literally forever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
No, you're wrong. D'Antoni might have considered it but jumped at the Knicks before the Bulls got around to making an offer. The job was given to Doug Collins but he decided he didn't want to coach again at the time. Thibs, I can't remember if he even got interviewed, but that process dragged on literally forever.

Regardless of who thinks who is right or wrong...to say nobody wanted the job is ridiculous. I'd say a ton of people would have jumped at the job. And the fact that D'Antoni jumped at the ridiculous amount of quiche the Knicks threw at this was understandable (and thank god they did). Seems to me though that it was JR who nixed the Collins idea...but regarless. Paxson had a very short list. I'm sure a s***load of people contacted Pax about the opening. To say nobody wanted it though seems way off...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

I'm pretty sure Pax told D'Antoni the job was his, then Reinsdorf cried broke & went with the cheaper VDN.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Reinsdorf cried broke...and about a month and a half later wound up with VDN.

Yeah. D'Antoni wanted the job. Paxson even wanted D'Antoni and it was pretty much set. D'Antoni had to get through JR though who makes final approval on hirings, and JR played his games. D'Antoni didn't think JR wanted him, therefore just jumped on the Knicks offer before they moved onto someone else.

Thibs wanted to be interviewed and I think he may have been, but the Bulls never saw him as a serious candidate. Dwayne Casey was the other hire it came down to. JR literally went for bottom of the barrel. I will say though, I think Casey deserves another shot somewhere. I also think VDN can be good too, but we shall see.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
I also think VDN can be good too, but we shall see.

Eventually I think he might be able to be. He didn't put together a bad defense in Chicago. He just had no idea how to combine developing young players with winning games, and his offense was nightmarish.

Two questions...

1. How will Sox fans respond to #23 in a Sox uniform?

2. With the knucklehead sports reporters in this town undoubtably annointing Sandberg "The Heir Apparent" how will this affect the already volitale relationship between Ozzie and KW? How would it affect the potential relationship between Ozzie and Sandberg?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
Two questions...

1. How will Sox fans respond to #23 in a Sox uniform?

2. With the knucklehead sports reporters in this town undoubtably annointing Sandberg "The Heir Apparent" how will this affect the already volitale relationship between Ozzie and KW? How would it affect the potential relationship between Ozzie and Sandberg?

Do you know something we don't?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Have you guys heard the rumor Sandberg is uh ... dumb?

Lacking brains? Somebody said he's not just a boring interview but comes across as a not so intelligent person.

Just asking.

Ozzie quit school in something like 6th or 7th grade and is a raging moron outside of baseball. He is not the only one I am sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Ozzie quit school in something like 6th or 7th grade and is a raging moron outside of baseball. He is not the only one I am sure.

Is Ozzie that dumb? He doesn't come across to me as dumb.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
I honestly thought it was pretty well known. The guy has problems reading and writing.

I'd call that uneducated, not necessarily dumb. The guy is clearly street smart and frequently plays a lot of educated individuals for chumps. He is no idiot despite his love affair with small ball and the old Lefty-Lefty Right-Righty matchups.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
I'd call that uneducated, not necessarily dumb. The guy is clearly street smart and frequently plays a lot of educated individuals for chumps. He is no idiot despite his love affair with small ball and the old Lefty-Lefty Right-Righty matchups.

That's sort of what I was thinking. Good post.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)

Honestly everything I have ever seen or read about Ozzie is that the only thing he knows is baseball. He is extremely baseball smart, despite popular opinion. Outside of baseball, it is pretty scary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
Honestly everything I have ever seen or read about Ozzie is that the only thing he knows is baseball. He is extremely baseball smart, despite popular opinion. Outside of baseball, it is pretty scary.

I don't know. Ozzie can't be that dumb outside of baseball. For example, look how he handled Jenks mentally during the World Series. Ozzie sensed that his confidence may have taken a hit and tried to reassure him. He must have some sense of how to handle human emotion.

Edited by balfanman