What are your plans for Tank?

Jerksticks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
If you didn't see every AB, then the sample you're pulling from to say he went deep into counts is smaller than the one i'm using. He may have worked deep into a few counts, but it wasn't very often

Talent evaluation is different from stat evaluation.

Viciedo seems to be the type of guy who swings at the first good pitch he sees, which is where the thought of him having good at bats and appearing to see a lot of pitches comes into effect (and I believe that to be true too). The problem with that general concept is that, eventually, pitchers will figure this out and they will start throwing him pitches that look good to hit but really are not, and the easiest way to do that is for righties to throw breaking balls down and away and for lefties to throw breaking balls down and in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
With Morel already looking like he's ready defensively at 3b...I don't know where they'd work him in there. I really doubt they're going to want to try him out at 3b and just let him commit 40 errors while learning the position next year, they're not goign to demote Morel to AA to work Viciedo at 3b, I don't know how they could pull that off.

I was talking about him in RF. Like Ace said, he played it a bit in Cuba.

He seriously can't be worse than Q (though we said that about Q to JD).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Viciedo seems to be the type of guy who swings at the first good pitch he sees, which is where the thought of him having good at bats and appearing to see a lot of pitches comes into effect (and I believe that to be true too). The problem with that general concept is that, eventually, pitchers will figure this out and they will start throwing him pitches that look good to hit but really are not, and the easiest way to do that is for righties to throw breaking balls down and away and for lefties to throw breaking balls down and in.

If a pitcher throws you a pitch that looks good to hit and then breaks hard out of the zone...you usually tip your cap. Doesn't matter who you are.

Viciedo's problem this year was that pitchers discovered a pitch he couldn't lay off of...that pitch up and in, out of the zone. He couldn't hit it and he couldn't lay off of it. Those are the sorts of adjustments we'll need to see him make...laying off pitches that he shouldn't swing at, or fouling them away.