What are your plans for Tank?

Jerksticks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Look in your crystal ball and predict Tank's future, especially next year. I personally think he's KW's boy and will be our backup 1B and half a DH combo. I think his bat is ready but where do you fall in all of this? More seasoning in AAA?

I see it the same way you do.

I think it's time for extreme measures with Tank. Make him play winter ball and for the first 10-20 at bats, make him take every single pitch at the plate to get used to it. He gets up there and swings at everything, which doesn't bode well for a big league player, right?

If he doesn't draw some walks, he's destined to fail.

I like him, though, but his mindset is to hack away at everything. Has that worked for any player?

If so gimme some examples.

My plan would be interesting. Simply demand he take every pitch for 10 to 20 at bats and see if he gets used to it. Right now, his brain is conditioned to swing once he steps in a batters box. WIthout a drastic measure that doesn't figure to change.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
I think it's time for extreme measures with Tank. Make him play winter ball and for the first 10-20 at bats, make him take every single pitch at the plate to get used to it. He gets up there and swings at everything, which doesn't bode well for a big league player, right?

If he doesn't draw some walks, he's destined to fail.

I like him, though, but his mindset is to hack away at everything. Has that worked for any player?

If so gimme some examples.

My plan would be interesting. Simply demand he take every pitch for 10 to 20 at bats and see if he gets used to it. Right now, his brain is conditioned to swing once he steps in a batters box. WIthout a drastic measure that doesn't figure to change.

Vlad Guerrero, Delmon Young, and Pablo Sandoval.

Viciedo swung at 56.5% of the pitches he saw, which is less than Vlad, Young, and Sandoval, and the same as AJ (who had the highest among regular Sox players)

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Vlad Guerrero, Delmon Young, and Pablo Sandoval.

Viciedo swung at 56.5% of the pitches he saw, which is less than Vlad, Young, and Sandoval, and the same as AJ (who had the highest among regular Sox players)

How many did he swing at when he had 2 strikes on him?

I'd guess 90 percent to 95 percent maybe 100 percent of those pitches.

What I find interesting is outside of his 5 game 1 for 19 in August the kid had some pretty ridiculous stats. His OPS is like a 1.000

I know sample sizes, sample sizes, but he did crush the heck outa the ball. And as a 21 year old? Where are most 21 year olds..A-AA ball?

Yea he doesn't have good discipline but he can actually hit really bad pitches; remember that shoe-string homer? You can't use the plate discipline argument for him like you would most players, as he seems like somewhat of a unique case.

I think we received a bit of a mixed bag reference Tank's performance, but all in all most of us were rather pleased with him.

Sure I'd like to see him take a walk here and there, but he's 21 years old. Tank also knew he had to make an impression while he was up so he swung for the fences with regularity because his time was short.

I would like to see him start the season in AAA next year at 1B and I believe he'll open the season as a top 50 prospect.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
What I find interesting is outside of his 5 game 1 for 19 in August the kid had some pretty ridiculous stats. His OPS is like a 1.000

I know sample sizes, sample sizes, but he did crush the heck outa the ball. And as a 21 year old? Where are most 21 year olds..A-AA ball?

Yea he doesn't have good discipline but he can actually hit really bad pitches; remember that shoe-string homer? You can't use the plate discipline argument for him like you would most players, as he seems like somewhat of a unique case.

That bomb he hit out of Comerica was a rocket. Hawk said that ball left he park quicker than any ball he has ever seen. Tank is a special talent in the making IMO.

He could be a .315/40/100 guy in his prime. Not a great OBP, but will make up for it with high slugging. I could see a couple Vlad Guerrero-type seasons at his peak. He has elite bat speed and will have elite hand strength and lower-body strength once he develops more. Again, he has only been playing professional baseball for two years in the states and has already hit Major League pitching well. There is no telling what he will do when he reaches 25-28 (physical maturity) which is still FOUR YEARS away. I am pretty negative when it comes to most Sox prospects, but he might be the most underrated prospect in baseball. I am serious. In no body's top lists and he is a beast already at 21 in the majors.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
It's also worth pointing out that Viciedo started off in the minors not taking many walks/pitches either, but grew into taking a few (not a ton) more walks.

And worth noting still that he got a lot of 3 ball counts when he was up, it was just that elusive fourth one that got him. He has a good batters eye and he'll be fine.