AJ's "intangibles"

Jerksticks

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
While they were an overall disappointment this year, we still have one more year with potentially one of the best starting staffs in baseball. For next year, I want an established vet putting down the signs. Not to say it has to be AJ, but its not the time to bring up an inexperienced catcher.

I see what you're saying, but I think it makes more sense to have an inexperienced catcher with a veteran rotation. If you have an inexperienced rotation THAT is when you're going to really want the veteran presence behind the plate to guide the kid pitchers along.

• Hawk 1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
If AJ leaves and plays for a team that goes to the postseason, the posters sort of saying get rid of him right now will pull a Uribe and suddenly love him. There is a lot AJ adds to a team. The White Sox bench does not call pitches, so while its ultimately up to the pitcher, the staff has trusted him through the years and that's a big plus. Problems with catchers, no matter what their stature is trouble, see Burnett and Posada. He also is a workhorse.Not having to play your back up catcher 60 games a year is something we haven't seen for a long while. There is a reason they are back up catchers and usually its because they hit like pitchers. I hope they retain him. I just don't see anyone better than him the Sox have a reasonable chance of acquiring.

The Sox bench called pitches alot of the past few years. Watch AJ look to his left constantly before calling the pitch. Its his cost that is the question here, not that he can be a capable platoon.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
I see what you're saying, but I think it makes more sense to have an inexperienced catcher with a veteran rotation. If you have an inexperienced rotation THAT is when you're going to really want the veteran presence behind the plate to guide the kid pitchers along.

Thats true, but it could hurt guys who rely on working fast and never shake off the pitch call like MB and Danks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
This empty argument again? Players are human beings. Of course emotions effect them.

That said, AJ understands the game at a level most players don't, and finds the edge in every situation. That talent is what makes him skilled with the pitching staff handling and game calling. That has a lot of value at the catching position.

And it seemed like his work against base stealers in 2010 improved, from what I saw. But he's still struggling with that. Offensively, he's below average.

I too hope they can get him for 1 year $3-4M, with a team option for a 2nd year. I think they might actually be able to pull that off.

Emotion has absolutely zero to do with effective on field performance in baseball. In fact, it's a detriment to hitting, pitching and fielding.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Thats true, but it could hurt guys who rely on working fast and never shake off the pitch call like MB and Danks.

Yeah, that's true. I'm not against bringing AJ back either. If it were my decision I would offer him arbitration. If he accepts, you've got another year with a reliable and known commodity that our pitchers like (albeit at an expensive price).

If he declines, you let him walk, take the picks, and find a stopgap.

• Fire 1

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
The Sox bench called pitches alot of the past few years. Watch AJ look to his left constantly before calling the pitch.

That is him looking for pickoff/pitchout signals, not which pitch to call. You will notice he only does that with a runner on base

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
In the first sentence you said emotion has nothing to do with effective performance on a baseball field. In the second sentence you said it's detrimental to on-field performance.

Yeah, and? The two statements support each other. There is no contradiction.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah, and? The two statements support each other. There is no contradiction.

If emotion is detrimental to on-field performance, then it obviously has an effect. That's all I'm getting at.

The ability to control one's emotions is a big part of baseball, which is something you appear to believe also. This is where I get confused that you also seem to believe emotions play no role in the game.

Edited by Pale Sox
  • Hawk 1

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
The thing that AJ's going to run into as a major problem is convincing other teams that he won't be a clubhouse cancer. The Sox at least know that they can deal with him personality wise for the most part, but every other team's players and often managers have had him get under their skin already. Plus, they know he has a history of having pitchers and coaches he doesn't get along with (i.e. S.F.) and there were probably a couple incidents in Chicago that filtered out that might make other GM's wary as well (the whole college football on every TV in the locker room thing from 09).

I'd expect some team, maybe the Rangers, maybe others, will wind up making AJ an offer, but I really doubt that any team is going to go that aggressively after him. It'll probably be a situation like when he originally signed with the Sox...unless the Sox extend him, he'll be out there until January, some team will give up and realize their catching position stinks, they'll sit down with him repeatedly to make sure that they think they can live with him, and they'll put together an incentive-rich deal of some sort.

I think using the term "Clubhouse Cancer" is awfully strong. I don't know if that's your personal opinion of AJ or not, but if his style of play makes some in baseball think of him that way then I want more guys on my team like AJP. He has done a very good job with the Sox IMO

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
That is him looking for pickoff/pitchout signals, not which pitch to call. You will notice he only does that with a runner on base

And don't you see that with all catchers? Looking into the dugout mind you, but at times managers do call pitches

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)

No, I've clearly seen the bench call pitches in certain games throughout the season. This season was one of the first times I noticed it to be honest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
The thing that AJ's going to run into as a major problem is convincing other teams that he won't be a clubhouse cancer. The Sox at least know that they can deal with him personality wise for the most part, but every other team's players and often managers have had him get under their skin already. Plus, they know he has a history of having pitchers and coaches he doesn't get along with (i.e. S.F.) and there were probably a couple incidents in Chicago that filtered out that might make other GM's wary as well (the whole college football on every TV in the locker room thing from 09).

I'd expect some team, maybe the Rangers, maybe others, will wind up making AJ an offer, but I really doubt that any team is going to go that aggressively after him. It'll probably be a situation like when he originally signed with the Sox...unless the Sox extend him, he'll be out there until January, some team will give up and realize their catching position stinks, they'll sit down with him repeatedly to make sure that they think they can live with him, and they'll put together an incentive-rich deal of some sort.

If we acquire John Buck to replace AJ I think I am going to scream.

As far as the above, I don't know. He's been with the White Sox a long time and not been a cancer here. I'd think in the right situation he'll be fine again. s***, maybe he grew up a bit in that regard. Maybe there's a statute of limitations on being a clubhouse cancer. I would just give the job to Castro if he leaves rather than a John Buck, though.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
You wrote two sentences. One said emotion has nothing to do with playing baseball effectively. The second one said emotion effects playing baseball effectively.

What I said was emotion doesn't help you (effective performance). It hurts your performance. (dertrimental).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
If we acquire John Buck to replace AJ I think I am going to scream.

As far as the above, I don't know. He's been with the White Sox a long time and not been a cancer here. I'd think in the right situation he'll be fine again. s***, maybe he grew up a bit in that regard. Maybe there's a statute of limitations on being a clubhouse cancer. I would just give the job to Castro if he leaves rather than a John Buck, though.

I'm not saying i want him but John Buck could probably hit 20-25 homers playing half of his games at the Cell. Also, anyone who questions the emotions of this team post-AJ hasn't met Mr. Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
Emotion has nothing to do with baseball.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Emotion has absolutely zero to do with effective on field performance in baseball. In fact, it's a detriment to hitting, pitching and fielding.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
What I said was emotion doesn't help you (effective performance). It hurts your performance. (dertrimental).

If it hurts you, than emotion has something to do with performance. Something is not "absolutely zero", hence the contradiction. You said emotion has nothing to do with baseball, it seems you meant emotion has something to do with hurting performance, but it doesn't help performance. But even detrimental is an affect.

Are you suggesting that it doesn't matter if a player heads to the plate feeling confident or feeling defeated? That watching three teammates in a row crush pitches doesn't send him to the plate with a better chance of getting a hit? Everything humans do are affected by their emotions, controlling those emotions, good and bad, is a big part of managing a team and performing.

I love how so many people completely ignore AJ's actual contributions in Major League Baseball and then talk about all the things Tyler Flowers is going to do. Opening the 2011 season with Flowers as the starting catcher is a major downgrade and a major disappointment and should be viewed as such. Now I love AJ, but I'd back Kenny if he went after one of the Angels' starters for example I'd back him if he made another move that made sense, any sense at all. Tyler Flowers does not make sense on any level in any universe.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
I'm not saying i want him but John Buck could probably hit 20-25 homers playing half of his games at the Cell. Also, anyone who questions the emotions of this team post-AJ hasn't met Mr. Jake Peavy.

Yeah but Peavy won't be very effective if he is a shadow of his former self. Guys have to produce to be emotional leaders.

To be fair, he was pretty ordinary to s*** early on this season, then got good, then got hurt.

He has much to prove in a White Sox uniform, largely because he's coming off a serious injury.

Edited by greg775