White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

I think i prefer...

Pierre-Bacon-Konerko-Dunn-Rios-Quentin-Alexei-AJ-Morel

(assuming Bacon is hitting well)

Logic - Konerko makes pitcher pitch to Bacon, Dunn makes people pitch to Konerko, Rios makes people pitch to Dunn.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
So now what the heck do we do with Carlos? The guy is Mr Glass from Unbreakable. He can't play RF everyday.

I know this won't be a popular opinion here, but, last year was his first full year in RF, correct? Its possible he actually gets better. Just sayin'.

He may also get traded. I'm thinking Kenny is going to get creative with the bullpen and RF somehow, with Quentin and Viciedo heading out the door somewhere in one or two trades.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
I know this won't be a popular opinion here, but, last year was his first full year in RF, correct? Its possible he actually gets better. Just sayin'.

He may also get traded. I'm thinking Kenny is going to get creative with the bullpen and RF somehow, with Quentin and Viciedo heading out the door somewhere in one or two trades.

It is definitely possible he gets better, can't really get much worse ;)

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Kenny Williams on payroll limitations beyond this: "We're at the point where we need to get creative because we're about tapped out."

Expect Tony Pena to be moved from middle to backend work, according to KW. Sale is now looking like a reliever. - Cowley

Sale will begin camp as a starter, but that is just to keep him in the same routine.- Cowley

Edited by justBLAZE

Asked if he's open to trading a stg p (I.e. Danks or Floyd) Williams said "I don't want to get into subtracting off major league

jaysonst "...if I can help it. But if there's something out there that makes us better overall we will consider it." #Whitesox

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
God I hope we can trade Floyd and Viciedo for some relievers so Sale won't be wasted in the bullpen.

if Sale is in the pen this year, it doesn't mean that's where he'll spend the rest of his career, and as the pen stands now it might be the best place for him for this team

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Also, I would love for us to bring back Andruw. Hell, I'd probably take him over Quentin for his price and defense. Power is still there, just needs to work on contact skills.

He's not going to change the kind of hitter he is.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Jones could be looking at a decent pay raise, fwiw.

Realistically, he and Quentin should be looking at similar salaries this year, with Q as a first year arb-player. Q will probably beat him, but not by a whole lot.

God I hope we can trade Floyd and Viciedo for some relievers so Sale won't be wasted in the bullpen.

You don't trade a very good, young starting pitcher for bullpen arms, that's terrible value. You go scrapheap with vets that have had past success or youngsters with great stuff. Bullpen arms are so insanely inconsistent year to year that they're very rarely worth multi-year deals or big dollar amounts and you never trade good, young talent for them. You could maybe make a concession for a great closer but even that's scary.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

First full season of his big league career, first season playing full time RF since 2007 and he played nothing but from that year on back, he just took at 2 year break with the White Sox. I think it's a tremendous loss of athleticism due to injury that's killing his defense more than anything.

Chris Sale will be lucky to become the kind of starter Gavin Floyd is. Sale is no sure thing. Gavin, remember, was drafted higher than Chris and seen as a true ace, not so with Sale. We're getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves thinking Sale is just going to throw 180+ innings every year blowing people away. It hardly ever works like that.

And trading Floyd and Viciedo for relievers is very short-sighted. We need to get more than that out of those guys. If the Sox organization were contracted today and a draft were held of all its players, Floyd and Viciedo would definitely both be top-10 picks out of the whole organization. You've got those 2, Sale, Beckham, Danks, Thornton, Alexei, Santos probably in the top-8 as an organization. You don't just waste that kind of value on a couple relievers, especially arb-eligible ones. Non-tendering a still-talented Bobby Jenks because you don't want to pay him $8-9M makes no sense when you dump 6 years of Viciedo for a $7M Heath Bell, for example. You're losing that one all the way.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Chris Sale will be lucky to become the kind of starter Gavin Floyd is. Sale is no sure thing. Gavin, remember, was drafted higher than Chris and seen as a true ace, not so with Sale. We're getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves thinking Sale is just going to throw 180+ innings every year blowing people away. It hardly ever works like that.

And trading Floyd and Viciedo for relievers is very short-sighted. We need to get more than that out of those guys. If the Sox organization were contracted today and a draft were held of all its players, Floyd and Viciedo would definitely both be top-10 picks out of the whole organization. You've got those 2, Sale, Beckham, Danks, Thornton, Alexei, Santos probably in the top-8 as an organization. You don't just waste that kind of value on a couple relievers, especially arb-eligible ones. Non-tendering a still-talented Bobby Jenks because you don't want to pay him $8-9M makes no sense when you dump 6 years of Viciedo for a $7M Heath Bell, for example. You're losing that one all the way.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
You don't trade a very good, young starting pitcher for bullpen arms, that's terrible value. You go scrapheap with vets that have had past success or youngsters with great stuff. Bullpen arms are so insanely inconsistent year to year that they're very rarely worth multi-year deals or big dollar amounts and you never trade good, young talent for them. You could maybe make a concession for a great closer but even that's scary.

Clearly I suck at using commas, what I was trying to say was that we should trade Floyd (hopefully for an OF), and then we should trade Viciedo for some relievers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
First full season of his big league career, first season playing full time RF since 2007 and he played nothing but from that year on back, he just took at 2 year break with the White Sox. I think it's a tremendous loss of athleticism due to injury that's killing his defense more than anything.

I don't know, I tend to agree with people who pointed out he really seemed to get a lot of bad reads out there. I saw it a whole bunch of times. That's not athleticism or injury. Not that those don't play a part, but I don't think its the whole picture either.