White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Rival exec says #WhiteSox can only afford two of three: Buehrle, Dunn, Konerko. #Chicago #MLB (Unless, of course, they increase payroll.) - Jon Morosi

WTF? That's the silliest thing I've read today and I've been in the alphabet thread. "Rival exec can add."

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Rival exec says #WhiteSox can only afford two of three: Buehrle, Dunn, Konerko. #Chicago #MLB (Unless, of course, they increase payroll.) - Jon Morosi

Wow, what an insightful thought from a "rival" exec. Doesn't everyone know the Sox couldn't fit Dunn and Konerko into their budget unless its increased?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
WTF? That's the silliest thing I've read today and I've been in the alphabet thread. "Rival exec can add."

He probably means to say Konerko will sign elsewhere, without actually writing it.

And I agree about Quentin as last year proved he has no business being in RF. Now if no moves are made there we can only hope his bat can cause enough damage, that his defense won't be talked about. If the Sox don't want him DH'ing, I still think he can be an average LF, but that leaves Pierre as the odd man out and we would have to find a RF to leadoff.

EDIT: Found this while browsing Carlos' baseball-reference page - Sox | Not shopping Carlos Quentin: The Chicago White Sox continue to say that they are not shopping OF Carlos Quentin for a trade this offseason, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. However, teams that are kicking the tires on Quentin say that the White Sox are listening. The Philadelphia Phillies are unlikely trade partners because the White Sox would likely ask for OF Domonic Brown.

Edited by justBLAZE

Follow up column to Morosi's tweet:

Barring a major payroll increase, the Chicago White Sox can probably afford only two of the three in 2011.

Of the group, Buehrle is the only one currently under the team’s control. He is scheduled to earn $14 million next year, in the final season of his current contract.

Buehrle, 31, is one of the most popular figures in recent White Sox history. He has a full no-trade clause. He hasn’t committed to pitching beyond next season. Each of those factors would make it exceedingly difficult for general manager Kenny Williams to move the ace left-hander.

And to be clear, there are no indications that the White Sox are shopping Buehrle.

But Williams wants desperately to upgrade his lineup with a powerful left-handed bat. He is known to have interest in Dunn. And if Williams signs him to fill that role, then the GM may need to choose between two uncomfortable options – trading Buehrle or letting Konerko sign elsewhere as a free agent.

According to salary data at Cot’s Baseball Contracts, the White Sox have already committed $82.575 million to 13 players for next year. Last year, their payroll was a little north of $100 million.

It’s likely that both Dunn and Konerko will earn at least $10 million in 2011.

Therefore, it’s virtually impossible for the White Sox to sign both players and maintain their current payroll without dealing away a big contract. And with Jake Peavy recovering from surgery, Buehrle is their most tradable big-money player.

Such a move would be unpopular with South Side fans. Buehrle and Konerko are among the last remaining links to the 2005 World Series championship club. A.J. Pierzynski, the catcher from that team, is also a free agent.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Follow up column to Morosi's tweet:

Not that I'm advocating it, but how is EJax not more tradable than Buehrle? Younger, better, cheaper, same number of years. Still would free up a fair amount of payroll.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
Not that I'm advocating it, but how is EJax not more tradable than Buehrle? Younger, better, cheaper, same number of years. Still would free up a fair amount of payroll.

(Probably because other teams would want Buehrle).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
(Probably because other teams would want Buehrle).

I guess..............considering all of the above factors, though, plus Buehrle's NTC and what he means to the fanbase, I just don't see how he's any more tradable than Jackson.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
lets just keep the Angels out of these dealings....the Torii Hunter-stealing jerks...

In retrospect, they did the Sox a favor. His defense is slipping and his offense, while good, isn't worth what he paycheck would have been.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

DLee

Rios

Quentin

Alexei

AJP

Morel

You gotta admit, even if you swap out DLee and substitute in someone like Viciedo, and even if you swap in Flowers for AJ, that's still a decent lineup, and it could well be a very good lineup.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

DLee

Rios

Quentin

Alexei

AJP

Morel

I would go with:

Pierre

Ramirez

Rios

Dunn

Quentin

Lee

AJ

Beckham

Morel

Anyway you slice it, it is a better lineup then last year...now how possible is it?