White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
Yep, I think the Orioles are gonna throw a big number at a couple guys this offseason. Hell, I could see them doing something crazy like $60m/3 for Jeter.

What is "How to set a franchise back by 5 years"?

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
That one was one of the ways the Tigers tried to rebuild.

Of course, Ivan Rodriguez was 32 and not 37, and he was still good offensively. He was also still good defensively, which Jeter is not and hasn't been for a while.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Of course, Ivan Rodriguez was 32 and not 37, and he was still good offensively. He was also still good defensively, which Jeter is not and hasn't been for a while.

Magglios contract was also one that no one else came near when they were throwing money around.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
According to few sources the A's met with Adam Dunn as well as Lance Berkman yesterday.. meanwhile Kenny Willams is no where to be found ;)

Don't be surprised if KW goes with a D Lee as a typical KW/JR pick up. Not too expensive after last years performance. Possibly heavily incentive laden.I could see them picking him up on a one year deal and have him split time with Dayan. I am not saying I like the idea but just that I could see it happening.

I really think the play here is to take the picks for Konerko and give 1 year deals to DLee and/or Berkman. Good chance they reach at least type B status next season, maybe A. Then make a play for one of the big FA 1B next season. We need to influx of young talent desperately, and by letting Konerko go and signing the one or both of the others, you gain 3-6 1st/2nd rd draft picks. I think Lee and Berkman will both post at least .850 OPS seasons.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
I really think the play here is to take the picks for Konerko and give 1 year deals to DLee and/or Berkman. Good chance they reach at least type B status next season, maybe A. Then make a play for one of the big FA 1B next season. We need to influx of young talent desperately, and by letting Konerko go and signing the one or both of the others, you gain 3-6 1st/2nd rd draft picks. I think Lee and Berkman will both post at least .850 OPS seasons.

Berkman and Lee could probably be signed for around $12 - $14 million combined, which is what the Sox would pay for Konerko or Dunn. Lee and Berkman could have good years, and a gamble like that could pay off well. Or they could both tank...but that would be more surprising. I like the idea of getting the picks for Paulie and possibly targeting a big FA next year (Fielder?). But, I'd also be okay with Paulie returning for 2/$24 million.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Berkman and Lee could probably be signed for around $12 - $14 million combined, which is what the Sox would pay for Konerko or Dunn. Lee and Berkman could have good years, and a gamble like that could pay off well. Or they could both tank...but that would be more surprising. I like the idea of getting the picks for Paulie and possibly targeting a big FA next year (Fielder?). But, I'd also be okay with Paulie returning for 2/$24 million.

If we don't get a Dunn deal done (heh), I doubt it's with an eye towards next year. The big-name 1B's will command $100M+ contracts, and when has that ever been an option for us? I like the idea, too, but it's seriously not going to happen. I don't believe I've ever made a guarantee on this site (except I guaranteed Bonderman would suck a couple of years back and he randomly didn't) but I guarantee the Sox will not sign Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez to a mega-contract.

I can see the Sox throwing a 4/60 Dunn's direction. All indications are they love him, and rightfully so.

My ideal world has us signing Dunn, trading for Luke Scott (I don't care what...we're obviously in 'win now' situation) and trading Quentin for something of value. That's my best guess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Now it will be interesting to see what Kenny does at 1B.

Braves are going with a kid at 1B (Freeman maybe?), so why can't we give Viciedo a shot? Rays will probably plug Jennings into the outfield.

2 examples of contenders plugging kids into important positions this offseason.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Braves are going with a kid at 1B (Freeman maybe?), so why can't we give Viciedo a shot? Rays will probably plug Jennings into the outfield.

I don't know about the Braves, but I think it's safe to say that Jennings has been developed more in the minors and in the states than Viciedo has.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Ozzie Guillen still manages the team.

Yes, but eventually reality takes over. Manny Ramirez supposedly hated DHing. Now he's being marketed as a DH. Dunn wants to get paid, and it appears the NL teams apparently want a discount because of his lack of defensive prowess. Maybe initially Ozzie throws him at 1b, but if he doesn't scoop the 4 or 5 balls a week Paulie routinely gobbled up, he'll be the DH. Remember, Ozzie was a SS and played with Frank Thomas who he would ride about defense constantly. Although he seems to disregard OF defense frequently, infield defense does take some priority with him, and he is very aware how a brutal defensive first baseman makes the entire infield weaker.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)

I'd take my chances with Viciedo or mabye Derek Lee at the right price if we get Dunn. Heck, it's all about improving, Lee or Viciedo + Dunn > Konerko + this Mark K. fellow and I'm talking offensively, albeit Derek Lee is no slouch with the glove.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I'd take my chances with Viciedo or mabye Derek Lee at the right price if we get Dunn. Heck, it's all about improving, Lee or Viciedo + Dunn > Konerko + this Mark K. fellow and I'm talking offensively, albeit Derek Lee is no slouch with the glove.

My biggest problem continues to be RF defense. I can live with a Dunn/Viciedo DH and 1b mixture. It'll be weak on defense, yes I'll grant that, but that is some solid offensive potential.

I just don't think I can stomach another year of Quentin in RF...mainly because I think playing the field will kill him. Which means, I'd still like an RF option...but there aren't any real solid ones on the market other than Werth (or a CF like Crawford with Rios moving to right)...but if either of those happen, Viciedo's blocked for years.