White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves

pmcochr

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
I still cannot believe ANY team would take Liney for his full 5.5 or whatever it is this year. I'm not buying it, we'll have to swallow some salary...I hope I am wrong

If we save enough money to acquire a better reliever (i.e. $2M+) on the FA market than we just got ourselves a STEAL!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
If Konerko isn't resigned, then maybe more Kotsay at first base?

Doesn't work, suddenly become too lefty-heavy and no one thinks Kotsay can stay healthy as a regular. If Konerko isn't resigned and no other FA 1b is brought in, then Viciedo is the obvious default option.

Cofield seems to be a marginal relief prospect. Nothing too exciting. Though getting anything for Linebrink is a win.

5. Kyle Cofield - B/T: R/R, Born: 01/23/1987, Ht: 6'5" Wt: 230 - Kyle Cofield has been around for a long time in prospect years but is still just 23 years old. He has always been known as a hard thrower with a good pitcher's body but has never produced the way a fireballer should, posting low strike out totals and living off his ability to induce ground balls. He gained some notoriety in 2010 when he stuck around big league camp longer than anyone anticipated when Bobby Cox developed a man crush on him. He was eventually cut and started the season in Mississippi (on the 40 man roster) but missed nearly 2 months due to an injury. Before the injury he had been used primarily as a starter for most of his career, but once he returned he pitched out of the bullpen and that will likely be his ticket to the majors. In the past he has struggled with his control (he issued 89 walks in 2009) but in 2010 he cut nearly 5% from his walk ratio in 2009 while raising his K% from 13.*% to 15.4%. With so many guys slotted ahead of him Cofield has an uphill battle in getting to the majors, but don't be surprised if he gets a longer look than anticipated for a second straight year and eventually makes his debut if injuries take their toll.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2010/11/26/1837...r-prospects-1-5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Doesn't work, suddenly become too lefty-heavy and no one thinks Kotsay can stay healthy as a regular. If Konerko isn't resigned and no other FA 1b is brought in, then Viciedo is the obvious default option.

I was joking, only Ozzie would want Kotsay back.