Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why aren't we hearing more about Arizona with Paul Konerko? The D-backs want him badly but are offering only $8 m a year for 3 years. - Phil Rogers.

Enought said, neither Rangers nor Orioles will give Paulie anything above 12M a year, I'm pretty convinced. I hope Kenny/JR play this smart.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Enought said, neither Rangers nor Orioles will give Paulie anything above 12M a year, I'm pretty convinced. I hope Kenny/JR play this smart.

So far, I don't see any sign that they haven't played this smart. They appear to be willing to walk away if they don't get a decent enough deal for themselves, and they appear to have shown their cards.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Why aren't we hearing more about Arizona with Paul Konerko? The D-backs want him badly but are offering only $8 m a year for 3 years. - Phil Rogers.

I think Baltimore would give Pauly more than $12 million per year. But he just has absolutely no interest in playing there, and is too classy to pretend he is just to drive his price up.

this might be what is going on and I haven't heard anyone being to the point of being aggressive with Konerko than white sox. Every reporter thinks hes still coming back except for mainly cowley but nightengale, rosenthal, heyman all believe he will be back with w sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
I think Baltimore would give Pauly more than $12 million per year. But he just has absolutely no interest in playing there, and is too classy to pretend he is just to drive his price up.

I really think he'll wind up there if he doesn't accept the last offer the Sox have on the table.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
this might be what is going on and I haven't heard anyone being to the point of being aggressive with Konerko than white sox. Every reporter thinks hes still coming back except for mainly cowley but nightengale, rosenthal, heyman all believe he will be back with w sox.

Didn't all the others make those statements before last night though? Last night appears to have been when the Sox hit their "Time to walk away" point.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)

Because it's pretty clear that Arizona can't make a competitive offer now that they have signed Putz, and the Angels are still trying to figure out whether to sign Beltre or Crawford. The White Sox know this, and so are sticking to what they think is reasonable. Both sides are just in a bs'ing contest right now.

konerko's agent is pressing beyond where #chisox had planned. but theres still pretty decent optimism for deal.

Heyman yesterday

nigtengale today : thinks rivals think he will be back with sox

rosenthal yesterday: Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, in lobby talking to reporters. If deal with #WhiteSox was close, he would be nowhere to be found. #MLB'

I don't think anyone believes that White Sox are done dealing with Konerko's agent and could be ploy by kenny to make agent and Konerko give them an answer

If Reinsdorf is overpaying Konerko, I hope he in turn extends out the budget so they can actually get a bullpen, and not be forced to trade Floyd and/or Quentin.

This signing won't be something to celebrate until we actually know what the roster is looking like going into February.

In theory I would love to bring in Lee and some quality bullpen arms.

But basically I think we all have a hunch the Sox are not going to pay market value for free agent relievers. They like to get bargains (Putz coming off injury) or---more often--- try to catch lightning in a bottle with some young cheap guys.

So in this case I look at Konerko and Lee, same age, one having a far better year last year. I guess we go with the first guy, hope the later years of the salary aren't a killer.

If we don't sign Konerko who do you want? It amazes me that we are not willing to support the signing of Konerko at a price that he deserves but are willing to sign a lesser talented player at money they don't deserve. Paul Konerko is the piece we need to compete in the AL Central and for a World Series chance. ESPN Baseball analysts, including John Kruk, consider Paulie the best IB on the free agent market and that includes Derek Lee. et al. They all think he will be back with the Sox. Just because there are negotiations going on and PK or the Sox haven't capitulated to the others wishes doesn't mean it won't happen. That is the definition of negotiation. I hope we hear the good news today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
Jerry did this with Luol Deng too. I really think he's going to overpay here.

Except Konerko is probably gonna end up with $4-6 million more (total), Deng got like $35 million more then he should have.

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Except Konerko is probably gonna end up with $4-6 million more (total), Deng got like $35 million more then he should have.

Apples and oranges. In the NBA, it's a very important thing to keep your assets. If your draft picks are decent players, the onus is on you to keep them. You let both Deng and Gordon go, and your team is basically restarting completely.

In baseball you can keep piling on signees based on what you choose to spend each year. Freely retool in MLB. Meanwhile, Deng had to be re-signed b/c the Bulls were already dealing with Hinrich/Nocioni/Ben Wallace contracts and what not. Deng was seen as both a key player and a potentially tradeable guy (injuries since diminished that, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him the principle in a deal before his contract runs out)

Also as far as all the anger over what Deng makes per year, I don't know what NBA fans expect to pay for a 6'9" player who gets you 18 and 7, highly regarded defensively and low turnover. 8M? 9M? No way.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
Jerry did this with Luol Deng too. I really think he's going to overpay here.

the difference really is the cap that the Bulls have to deal with. The Sox could (theoretically) spend and spend all they want. Deng hamstrung the Bulls in more ways then one. Konerko would only hamstring the Sox if Jerry then decides he doesnt want to spend anymore

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Bruce Levine said a few mins ago. That Konerko will agree to a new deal today. Also that other teams were told not to bid anymore.

Some teams, or a team. Not all teams.

I think it's probably Arizona that's completely out now.

Edited by flavum