Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
In other news:

jamie mccourt wins case and gets half #dodgers. 2 lawyers tell me ruling is right. A mess now, tho - Jon Heyman

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
Wow, Jaime McCord gets about $7.5 million a year in spousal support.

This is exactly why I think divorce laws in this country is messed up. I don't think one spouse is entitled to half of what the other spouse makes, and I also think if it can be proven that one spouse "did all the work" (such as how the husband owned the Dodgers) that the other spouse shouldn't be entitled to a dime.

Wives should get jobs and support themselves, even if they're married to millionaire husbands. This is also why I disagree with how a lot of wives in this country are "homemakers" when they marry rich guys, that's just laziness to me and they don't deserve anything that they didn't earn from income tax receipts with their name on it.

Divorce laws in this country protects women too much.

And 7.5 million a year in spousal support is ridiculous. Jamie McCourt should just downsize her lifestyle and get a job. Spousal support is ridiculous if the other spouse isn't physically unable to work.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
This is exactly why I think divorce laws in this country is messed up. I don't think one spouse is entitled to half of what the other spouse makes, and I also think if it can be proven that one spouse "did all the work" (such as how the husband owned the Dodgers) that the other spouse shouldn't be entitled to a dime.

Wives should get jobs and support themselves, even if they're married to millionaire husbands. This is also why I disagree with how a lot of wives in this country are "homemakers" when they marry rich guys, that's just laziness to me and they don't deserve anything that they didn't earn from income tax receipts with their name on it.

You are taking a few high profile circumstances and expanding that to some historical argument about divorce.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Score just said, via somewhere else, that the Nats are trying to sign Cliff Lee for 7 yrs/$200M. Yikes.

Stupid question. Has a pitcher ever gotten a long term deal like this that turned out to be a good contract? I know it could be argued that someone like ARod or Jeter earned the money in their deal with the numbers they put up, but I can't think of anything that long where a team made out well with a pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
If we could get a good return for TCQ, I'd be interested.

That's along the sames lines as I was thinking.

Fukudome would be an upgrade defensively and could play either RF or CF... which could help with roster flexibility.

Plus, with his OBP he could bat 2nd... letting Alexei/Beckham drop down.

And we'd only be on the hook for one year of contract, which would free up money in 2012.

If we could get a decent return for Quentin might be interesting to think about.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)

And 7.5 million a year in spousal support is ridiculous. Jamie McCourt should just downsize her lifestyle and get a job. Spousal support is ridiculous if the other spouse isn't physically unable to work.

It's the millionaires' own faults. They need to protect themselves via prenups and women in very low-leverage situations, like Russian and Filipino internet brides who get deported for refusing the wash the dishes.

IMO divorce proceedings nowadays are bass-ackwards and I think we should all wake up and realize that it's the 21st century and such issues are more easily resolved through the use of trebouchets capable of flinging large objects 600-700 yards.

But seriously though, props to Jaime McCourt. That's quite a haul.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Any interest in Fukudome if the Cubs offered to pick up half his remaining salary?

Straight up for Pierre, even salary. Yes please. CQ back to LF, Fukudome in RF. Better defense. Or even better, Fukudome + Cubs cash in 2011 for Teahen + prospect + Sox cash in 2012. Fukudome is then the 4th OF and added insurance.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Any interest in Fukudome if the Cubs offered to pick up half his remaining salary?

Like southsider said, if we could fill in the additional gaps with a Quentin deal, absolutely. But I think they'd have to cover more then half that. They'd have to cover something like 8 or 9 of the 13.5 owed.

I just saw Joel Hanrahan's name on MLBTR (not in a trade rumor) but that got me thinking.... he had a sick statistical year last year and he's always had incredible stuff. He's 29 next year but will be hitting arb and getting expensive fast. Anyone think the Pirates would sell high and that Kenny would be in on that? He'd obviously cost a lot but I wonder how much...

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Heyman saying Lee has a 7 year deal not from Nats and Yankees are standing pat at 6 to this point, so either Rangers went to 7 which reports had them not wanting to do or their is a team that hasn't been mentioned a lot in bidding now

It's an offer, he hasn't accepted anything, sorry, how I had it worded it could be misunderstood

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
Between Peavy and Wood, we're going to lead the league in simulated starts. Sox better start saving up on towels for the throwing drills.

Cooper doesn't follow the Tom House philosophy of pitching.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)
Straight up for Pierre, even salary. Yes please. CQ back to LF, Fukudome in RF. Better defense. Or even better, Fukudome + Cubs cash in 2011 for Teahen + prospect + Sox cash in 2012. Fukudome is then the 4th OF and added insurance.

You must not have actually seen Pierre play in LF this past year? Folks actually raved about his defense. Granted his arm isn't much, but he didn't do too bad at all out there IMO

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
things like this are why KW and Sox are pushing for PK resolution, they have other plans in place and want to have a full plate of options if PK is going to leave

While I understand the urgency for the White Sox to get resoultion on the Konerko situation (I'm actually surprised that it has taken this long, I'm assuming the White Sox are offering him about what they gave Dunn on a per year basis), if the backup plan is LaRoche, I'm willing to wait this out for a little while longer.