Bullpen '11

justBLAZE

Sale

Thornton

Santos

Pena

In house options: Carter, Infante, Dolsi, Cofield, Harrell, Jones (Nathan), Marquez, Nunez. Can any of these guys break the camp with the team?

If two of them do, then we are one signing away from a successful offseason.

Players mentioned: Byrdak, Accardo.

What's your idea for next year's bullpen?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know if I'd count Pena as part of the mix ATM considering he may very well be the 5th starter to open the season should Peavy not be ready. And even with him in the pen he's just a LR/spot starter. We've just really got three guys we can rely on right now.

One thing I will say is that I'd MUCH rather overpay for Jenks on a 1-year deal ($6M to me would be overpaying) or Wood ($7M same thing) than give out 3/$10M to someone like Guerrier or Downs - assuming we could come up with the funds to do that. We should try if at all possible to push the guys we already have down further because we are talking about a guy who has only been pitching professionally for 2 seasons and another guy who just was drafted last June.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't even know if I'd count Pena as part of the mix ATM considering he may very well be the 5th starter to open the season should Peavy not be ready. And even with him in the pen he's just a LR/spot starter. We've just really got three guys we can rely on right now.

One thing I will say is that I'd MUCH rather overpay for Jenks on a 1-year deal ($6M to me would be overpaying) or Wood ($7M same thing) than give out 3/$10M to someone like Guerrier or Downs - assuming we could come up with the funds to do that. We should try if at all possible to push the guys we already have down further because we are talking about a guy who has only been pitching professionally for 2 seasons and another guy who just was drafted last June.

From all the information I was able to gather from random tweets, blurs, interviews etc. Chris Sale will be going through spring as a starter because that is what the Sox ultimately see in him. However, pending Peavy's health he is in the bullpen and I think Peavy will be ready in April.

Kenny was quoted today saying that Pena is moving from middle to back relief.

Kenny also said he doesn't want to substract from the current major league roster but he will consider anything to make the team better.

We now have a huge trading chip in Viciedo and Quentin has been the name rumored the most, as one to be traded this offseason.

White Sox looking for one lefty, one right for bullpen. But may have to trade to create $ space.

Dave Van Dyck twitter

Unique closer/setup man with Thornton/Sale. They'll apparently carry a third lefty who will be more of a situational guy and Sale will be that shutdown guy setting up perhaps.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
People keep mentioning CQ as a trade option and while I wouldn't be upset or anything if we moved him, exactly who plays in right if we move him?

Filling a hole by creating another.

If one of the RedSox/Yankees signs Carl Crawford they might be looking to get rid of Ellsbury/Gardner. Now without doing much research I realize these guys are not power hitters but they are capable of putting up some great numbers.

Both of these guys could probably leadoff too and we move Pierre to 9th.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
If one of the RedSox/Yankees signs Carl Crawford they might be looking to get rid of Ellsbury/Gardner. Now without doing much research I realize these guys are not power hitters but they are capable of putting up some great numbers.

Both of these guys could probably leadoff too and we move Pierre to 9th.

Gardner I could see being attainable. Ellsbury is gonna be pricey. I would assume another team would be able to trump anything we could possibly offer.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Gardner I could see being attainable. Ellsbury is gonna be pricey. I would assume another team would be able to trump anything we could possibly offer.

Not only that, we're a poor match for either of those teams, since our top tradeable asset is a 1b/DH type, and both of those teams have monsters at those spots.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
People keep mentioning CQ as a trade option and while I wouldn't be upset or anything if we moved him, exactly who plays in right if we move him?

Filling a hole by creating another.

One would argue that RF currently is a hole based on Quentin's brutal defense, inconsistent offensive production and frequent injuries. Hell you have to go into the season with a plan B in mind for RF when Quentin inevitably goes down. (Teahen, I suppose)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
One would argue that RF currently is a hole based on Quentin's brutal defense, inconsistent offensive production and frequent injuries. Hell you have to go into the season with a plan B in mind for RF when Quentin inevitably goes down.

I'd really like to see De Aza get some legitimate time there, but he's even more injury prone than Quentin so far in his career. That said, De Aza is your 4th OF to start the season. Option 3 for a short break is Teahen. A long term Quentin loss...that's a lot more troublesome...but that's one of those things that sometimes you have to roll the dice on, as you can only have so many quality backups for a position.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I'm curious to see if Jones could make the pen. I thought I remembered hearing he had some electric stuff, at least in '09 when he was working out of the pen

I don't think the Sox view him as a starting pitcher long-term, and instead I think he was starting this year more to get him more innings so he can refine his pitches a bit better. It's harder to do that out of the bullpen.

I also think, if all the hype about him is true, that he could be a mid-season call-up. Get him a little bit of experience against some more advanced hitters.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think the Sox view him as a starting pitcher long-term, and instead I think he was starting this year more to get him more innings so he can refine his pitches a bit better. It's harder to do that out of the bullpen.

I also think, if all the hype about him is true, that he could be a mid-season call-up. Get him a little bit of experience against some more advanced hitters.

His problem is he can be electric one day and be throwing a few MPH less and with less bite two days later. So not only does he struggle repeating his delivery, he struggles showing any sort of overall consistency in stuff.

With the royals waiting for the cliff lee sweepstakes to end before moving Grienke and possibly Gordon, I'm curious if they will be moving Soria in addition to that. Most of their pitching depth in the minors will not be ready till '12, and Soria's very friendly team contract (4m in '11, *6m in '12, *8m in '13, *8.75 in '13) runs out in '13 he will be 30 that year.

Looking at the royals farm and major league roster they are very thin up the middle. I imagine some of that will be addressed with ZGs trade in the near future; but i wonder if the sox have enough to go out and get Soria.

If KW is serious about being "all in" and not wanting to address relief options on the free agent market

"We have to go into a holding pattern right now just for a minute and try to be as creative as possible on the trade front," Williams said. "The free-agent front is a little expensive for us right now in filling those needs, so we have to try another way."
Kenny Williams I wonder if Dayton Moore's affinity for anyone who once had a connection to the braves organization, in addition to Wil Myers being a ways off and possibly having to move off C. Maybe selling high on the helium of Escobar, Viciedo and throwing in Flowers as well as an arm like Infante or Rodriguez might be enough to pry Soria from KC. {yes i realize KC is pretty deep at CI}