John Danks

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
I'd be pissed if I was a Royals fan right now. They got no impact talent. Only guys who might be okay every day players for a Cy Young talent pitcher who the Royals didn't have to trade right now.

I am actually VERY afraid of the Royals. Not really this coming year, but soon. People are saying that the Royals farm system is the best farm system that they've ever seen. We could soon have our very own version of the Tampa Bay Rays in the AL Central, and that worries the s*** outta me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
I'd be pissed if I was a Royals fan right now. They got no impact talent. Only guys who might be okay every day players for a Cy Young talent pitcher who the Royals didn't have to trade right now.

Define "impact" player? Did they get a Jason Heyward or Stephen Strasburg back? No. And they weren't going to. But they did get plus speed AND defense at the two most important defensive positions on the field. They also got two premium powers arms, one who projects to be an elite set-up man (could possibly start) in the mold of a Daniel Bard and the other pretty much dominated A ball as a 20-year old and projects as a #2/#3 starter. Greinke didn't want to be in KC anymore. And who could blame him. The Royals aren't winning jack s*** in '11 or '12. Then Greinke walks and all you're left with is two picks. Then there's rumblings about Greinke not being motivated last year? Do you really wanna deal with that the next two years for a team not in contention? I think the Royals did fabulous considering the circumstances.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
I am actually VERY afraid of the Royals. Not really this coming year, but soon. People are saying that the Royals farm system is the best farm system that they've ever seen. We could soon have our very own version of the Tampa Bay Rays in the AL Central, and that worries the s*** outta me.

Can't say "very" afraid until the young talent is up and producing. But I'm definitely, I guess, intrigued at what they could potentially do if even half of these guys pan out. But that won't be something to worry about for a couple years, at least.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Can't say "very" afraid until the young talent is up and producing. But I'm definitely, I guess, intrigued at what they could potentially do if even half of these guys pan out. But that won't be something to worry about for a couple years, at least.

I don't think that they are going to be in contention for a dixision title this year either, but they could be in 2012 if their talent developes rapidly.

I do believe that they are going to be enough of a pest though to cause other teams in the division some problems, so they could very well have a say in who does win the division. I don't think that you can take the Royals lightly any longer. I like the way that they are building that team.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
I don't think that they are going to be in contention for a dixision title this year either, but they could be in 2012 if their talent developes rapidly.

I do believe that they are going to be enough of a pest though to cause other teams in the division some problems, so they could very well have a say in who does win the division. I don't think that you can take the Royals lightly any longer. I like the way that they are building that team.

Wouldn't worry about them at all for '11. Have you seen their projected rotation? It was bad with Greinke. Unless at least 5 or 6 guys have nutzoid like years, they're going to lose 95-100 games. All next year for them is going to be about development. Majors and minors. And yeah, I've been complimentary of what the franchise has built (farm wise, obviously) since Moore took over. Yes, the high draft position helps a lot. But not all these guys that EVERYBODY have been gushing over were first-round picks. So that means your scouts are getting the job done. I've been a hardcore prospect follower for about 6 years and I've never seen a universal consensus by all measures that not only do they have the best system in baseball, but maybe the best system ever. But again, gonna take a 2-3 years. Unless guys like Hosmer, Moustakas and Montgomery can't step in right away and have Heyward, Stanton and Strasburg like impacts. In which yes, will have a small problem.

Edited by Jordan4life

If the Royals can somehow find 1 or 2 better than average pitchers during 2011 (internally or externally), with the talent they have on the farm, I'd say they are about as well set up for 2012 as most teams in baseball. I'd say there is a very strong chance they are a going to be a team to reckon with by then.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
If the Royals can somehow find 1 or 2 better than average pitchers during 2011 (internally or externally), with the talent they have on the farm, I'd say they are about as well set up for 2012 as most teams in baseball. I'd say there is a very strong chance they are a going to be a team to reckon with by then.

They could trade for this Zach Greinke dude, he'd be a 1 year rental but he'd give them a real shot in 2012.

If the Royals are really going to consider winning, they'll need to sign/trade for a few veteran pieces. I can count on one hand the number of teams in the last decade that really succeeded based on the successes of players who have been in the league

It's my opinion that die-hard baseball fans are somewhat over-enamored with youth. It's important, but youth is mostly valuable because it is presumed to lead into maturity. You want guys who are good at 25 so they'll be great at 27-30.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)

How long have we been saying this though? 10 years?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
If the Royals are really going to consider winning, they'll need to sign/trade for a few veteran pieces. I can count on one hand the number of teams in the last decade that really succeeded based on the successes of players who have been in the league

It's my opinion that die-hard baseball fans are somewhat over-enamored with youth. It's important, but youth is mostly valuable because it is presumed to lead into maturity. You want guys who are good at 25 so they'll be great at 27-30.

They could use 2011 to see what they have, wisely trade a few prospects (of which they have plenty) for some veteran help. and be right there in 2012.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
They could use 2011 to see what they have, wisely trade a few prospects (of which they have plenty) for some veteran help. and be right there in 2012.

In fact, they probably have to trade away at least 1 veteran (Billy Butler) if they want to make room for their young guys as well.

They also get out from under Gil Meche ($12) and Jason Kendall's contracts ($3.75) at the end of this year, so they do have money available if they want to spend it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
In fact, they probably have to trade away at least 1 veteran (Billy Butler) if they want to make room for their young guys as well.

They also get out from under Gil Meche ($12) and Jason Kendall's contracts ($3.75) at the end of this year, so they do have money available if they want to spend it.

They always have money available, they just historically don't spend it.

My point is that while they're in decent position, they're not really even close to there until a lot of other things pan out, including a shift in philosophy regarding free agency. Having a buttload of young talent is a great thing, but it's not even close to the only thing that makes a contender.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
I am actually VERY afraid of the Royals. Not really this coming year, but soon. People are saying that the Royals farm system is the best farm system that they've ever seen.

I swear I've been reading this post yearly for the last decade.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I swear I've been reading this post yearly for the last decade.

This seems to be the standard response to mock their potential. And I'm certainly not "afraid" of them. But when have they ever had a system that on the surface appeared to be this loaded? I know there was a lot of hype surrounding Gordon and Hochevar. But they've never had anything like this. You're talking 8-10 consensus top 75ish or so prospects. If just 4 of those guys max out then they're in business.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
This seems to be the standard response to mock their potential. And I'm certainly not "afraid" of them. But when have they ever had a system that on the surface appeared to be this loaded? I know there was a lot of hype surrounding Gordon and Hochevar. But they've never had anything like this. You're talking 8-10 consensus top 75ish or so prospects. If just 4 of those guys max out then they're in business.

I don't think it was intended to mock, but rather point out a valid fact. The Royals absolutely have a loaded farm system right now but Steve isn't wrong - we have been hearing about them for a while now.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't think it was intended to mock, but rather point out a valid fact. The Royals absolutely have a loaded farm system right now but Steve isn't wrong - we have been hearing about them for a while now.

My question remains the same: when have the Royals recently had a collection (5+) of what were thought to be premium prospects that sparked talk of a big turn around in the near future? Unless my memory is just shady, which is possibly considering I'm an alcoholic, I don't remember.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)

Great post and I agree with everything here. People salivate over young players to the point where it's really disgusting. Most of these guys turn out to be nothing but a waste of resources. It's so easy to say you can plug in a promising young prospect and in a year or two end up with a very good MLB player, but the truth is, you have to sit there and watch that player struggle as he learns, and most of the time you end up with someone who is just average or worse. And it's not worth downgrading at a position for 1-2 years just to end up with someone you don't want and who now you're unable to trade for a decent player.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
They always have money available, they just historically don't spend it.

My point is that while they're in decent position, they're not really even close to there until a lot of other things pan out, including a shift in philosophy regarding free agency. Having a buttload of young talent is a great thing, but it's not even close to the only thing that makes a contender.

If the Royals want to contend they need to put their young players on the field, and as soon as they find out whether or not Moustakas and other top prospects like that can play - give it no more than 2 seasons tops - they need to start dealing the farm for cheap, good MLB players to supplement their pre-arb core. They need to do this right away, spend the money, spend the talent. Make a couple FA signings. In the mean time they need to continue trying out high-upside relievers and so forth, because they always bring good prospects when they look like closers or potential closers, and they need to trade Soria and keep stocking the farm. That way when it's time to move they can move fast.

The one silver lining in the Royals situation is the fact that the AL Central is generally winnable, and with salary room available they should be able to put themselves on the map once they get their core down. But if they try to wait for everyone to develop they'll continue to suck forever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

In baseball, I'd be surprised to see 40% (low end of your estimate) to 50% (high end of your estimate) of "top prospects" "max out". Sure, some will be good, maybe one "maxes out" and the rest wind up as role players/relievers/AAAA fodder.

Until they prove to have turned the corner as an organization in developing "can't miss" players, I won't get too worked up about the "potential" of the perennially s***ty Kansas City Royals.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
My question remains the same: when have the Royals recently had a collection (5+) of what were thought to be premium prospects that sparked talk of a big turn around in the near future? Unless my memory is just shady, which is possibly considering I'm an alcoholic, I don't remember.

I don't really know about their pitching outside of Hochevar and Cortes, but I mean they've had Hosmer, Kila, Gordon, Butler, Huber, Lubanski and maybe more be considered top 100 prospects and not much has really come from them at all. I'm not discounting them now and really do think they are in the midst of turning that franchise around here, but it's still not necessarily wrong to point out that they've been in re-building mode for a while now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
In baseball, I'd be surprised to see 40% (low end of your estimate) to 50% (high end of your estimate) of "top prospects" "max out". Sure, some will be good, maybe one "maxes out" and the rest wind up as role players/relievers/AAAA fodder.

Until they prove to have turned the corner as an organization in developing "can't miss" players, I won't get too worked up about the "potential" of the perennially s***ty Kansas City Royals.

You have to understand, Dayton Moore is the GM and he's been spending his whole time on the draft. You will see several of these guys pop up within 1-2 years with maybe 2 of them in 3 years. I'm not afraid of the Royals presently, but Moore has done a hell of a job obtaining prospects.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)

The chances are Royals fans will look back and say "wow, look at all those busts and underachievers."

But even if they turn out, here's one good example: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/2000.shtml

That's the 2000 Kansas City Royals with a 26-year-old Mike Sweeney, a 26-year-old Jermaine Dye, a 26-year-old Johnny Damon, a 23-year-old Carlos Beltran, and other nice complimentary parts. They went 77-85 that year, which were the most wins that team saw since 1993, and was the winningest Royals team until those 2003 juggernauts won 83 games.

Prospects ain't s*** most of the time. That's the truth. And even when they develop it guarantees nothing. Look at all the prospects the Braves have dealt over recent years and look at where they've been. Look at all the prospects the Royals have kept over the years and look where they've been. Since the 1989 season where the Royals won 92 games, they've only won over 80 games thrice, with 84 wins being their best, and in only 10 out of 21 seasons since have they won 70 or more games.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
You have to understand, Dayton Moore is the GM and he's been spending his whole time on the draft. You will see several of these guys pop up within 1-2 years with maybe 2 of them in 3 years. I'm not afraid of the Royals presently, but Moore has done a hell of a job obtaining prospects.

Okay, so because Dayton Moore is at the helm the Royals prospects will turn out? Dayton Moore has done some very stupid things in his time as GM. I actually hate the Greinke deal from a Royals standpoint BTW and love it for Milwaukee. He f***s up a lot.