2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Is that the one where some guy shows how there is gas coming out of his kitchen sink and he lights it on fire?

They had a guy on the Colbert Report once who talked about that topic and showed a clip from his documentary.

Yes. The concern is over the "cracking" process where the pressurize the rock by pumping a bunch of chemicals into it to free up the gas. It's not supposed to get into water tables and underground aquifers, but it does.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Is that the one where some guy shows how there is gas coming out of his kitchen sink and he lights it on fire?

They had a guy on the Colbert Report once who talked about that topic and showed a clip from his documentary.

Yes. The concern is over the "cracking" process where the pressurize the rock by pumping a bunch of chemicals into it to free up the gas. It's not supposed to get into water tables and underground aquifers, but it does.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)

The term is "Fracking", not cracking.

The trouble with insisting that it does is that whether or not it does is a much more open question than was presented in that movie.

Ive watched a few movies in the past few weeks. A few documentaries which were all pretty good for the most part.

Catfish- I watched this doc the other night and was pleasantly surprised with how it unfolded. Its hard to say much of what its about without giving the movie away but the main premise is its about a photographer who comes into contact with a young girl through her art and he develops a friendship with her family who is the young girl, her mom and her older sister through facebook.

Restrepo- a war doc about some soldiers in "the most dangerous part of Afghanistan." Id have to say it is probably my favorite documentary and gives just about the closest look at what it is like for these soldiers day to day in a heavy combat zone while at war.

Exit through the gift shop- a doc about street art which was pretty interesting and kept my attention without me having a vested interest in the topic. From what Ive read about it online some people think it was a hoax by one of the street artists but either way it was pretty good.

127 Hours- I really wasnt a fan of it. I was familiar with the story and was skeptical of how they could make a full movie out of it and it was pretty much what I expected. I do think Franco did a great job as Aron Ralston though.

The Town- Was pretty good. I knew it was a popular movie but I didnt really know the plot before I watched it. It was pretty good though and I thought the action scenes were believable and done well.

Also, for anyone interested, Restrepo and Exit through the gift shop are on Netflix instant

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 02:58 AM)
Ive watched a few movies in the past few weeks. A few documentaries which were all pretty good for the most part.

Catfish- I watched this doc the other night and was pleasantly surprised with how it unfolded. Its hard to say much of what its about without giving the movie away but the main premise is its about a photographer who comes into contact with a young girl through her art and he develops a friendship with her family who is the young girl, her mom and her older sister through facebook.

Restrepo- a war doc about some soldiers in "the most dangerous part of Afghanistan." Id have to say it is probably my favorite documentary and gives just about the closest look at what it is like for these soldiers day to day in a heavy combat zone while at war.

Exit through the gift shop- a doc about street art which was pretty interesting and kept my attention without me having a vested interest in the topic. From what Ive read about it online some people think it was a hoax by one of the street artists but either way it was pretty good.

127 Hours- I really wasnt a fan of it. I was familiar with the story and was skeptical of how they could make a full movie out of it and it was pretty much what I expected. I do think Franco did a great job as Aron Ralston though.

The Town- Was pretty good. I knew it was a popular movie but I didnt really know the plot before I watched it. It was pretty good though and I thought the action scenes were believable and done well.

Also, for anyone interested, Restrepo and Exit through the gift shop are on Netflix instant

I've watched Exit and loved it. Already had Restrepo queued up on Netlfix. Aren't they both up for an Oscar?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
I've had Gift Shop queued up on Instant for awhile but just havent wanted to sit down and watch it. The fact that if it is real or fake is what makes it so good I guess.

It's just really well done and captivating.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
Saw Animal Kingdom last night. Took some unexpected turns, and I was a little confused once or twice. But I was still floored! Great movie.

Agreed. I didn't understand why the woman was nominated for Best Supporting Actress until the last 20 minutes.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
Saw Animal Kingdom last night. Took some unexpected turns, and I was a little confused once or twice. But I was still floored! Great movie.

I have had it queued on Netflix for a bit. Glad there is another positive review.

I've seen The Cider House Rules and Moon in the last two days.

I came closer to crying watching The Cider House Rules than I have watching a movie since probably Schindler's List. Moon was much more interesting than I expected. I'd heard that it is boring from more than one person, but I was into every second of it. Both were great movies.