Albert Pujols' extension - Cards fail to extend by deadline

chisoxfan09

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I saw a headline somewhere about LAA as a possible Pujols landing spot next year. I haven't been keeping up with STL's financial situation, but last I remember a ) Pujols will get a lot of money from someone and if is from STL, it will tie them up financially. b ) Pujols wants to win, which could be tricky to pull off if that much of your money is accounted for already.

No doubt, signing Crawford this offseason would have all but made LAA unrealistic for Pujols should he reach FA. From a baseball standpoint* I'd rather have a one-armed half blind Pujols than Crawford for the money Boston gave him. I was thrilled the Sox weren't actively pursuing him. Could the Angels have half-heartedly been in the Crawford race just to drive up the price for everyone else (by that I mean if you get him, fine, if someone is bent on out-bidding you, no problem)? I know it was pretty much accepted everywhere that they wanted Crawford but could this be an "in the grand scheme of things" scenario? If you lose out on him, no sweat, just throw the bank at Pujols next year, even overpay him. Surely LAA is better equipped to do that than than STL...

It's a slow morning at work, I'm just throwing the idea out there.

* It's a shame that MLB still doesn't have any sort of HGH testing to this point. Not sayin', just saying...

This might be more relevant now than when I originally flew it out there. This is why I think he either stays in STL or goes to LAA, but not the Cubs. Obviously you can never really count NY or Boston out, but that would just be absurd and wrong- I'd hate it infinitely more than the LeBron/Wade/Bosh clowning over the summer.

If Heyman is right about the offer the Cardinals made, then Pujols would basically have to be a prick not to take it. I'm sure someone will say that he's just doing what's right for his family (would YOU take less money in a job?, etc.), but he'd absolutely ruin his reputation among fans and writers if he declines that deal. I would hate him for sure.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
The "deadline" has passed, according to Olney.

Not that it even matters because the deadline isn't really a deadline.

that's my feelings on this. It wouldn't shock me if at some point, really any point during the season, there's breaking news he resigned. He can sell a whole press conference of him saying this is where his heart is, blah blah blah.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
It's going to be comical at Wrigley this year when the Cubs fans give Pujols a standing ovation.

It's going to be like when Lebron used to go into MSG to play the Knicks the past two years. If I were a Cardinal fan, I'd give him a standing O every time he bats. This is going to be very interesting.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
that's my feelings on this. It wouldn't shock me if at some point, really any point during the season, there's breaking news he resigned. He can sell a whole press conference of him saying this is where his heart is, blah blah blah.

He said no in season negotiation and his agent seems determined to take him to free agency.

Is there a team in the majors that wouldnt break the bank to sign this guy to an 8 year contract?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
He said no in season negotiation and his agent seems determined to take him to free agency.

Is there a team in the majors that wouldnt break the bank to sign this guy to an 8 year contract?

what he says and what is a reality can be two different things, depending on what they hear through the gravevine and what teams dump salary etc...

I think LAA is his best bet for leaving, outside of that I'm not sure who would really give him 8/200+

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
what he says and what is a reality can be two different things, depending on what they hear through the gravevine and what teams dump salary etc...

I think LAA is his best bet for leaving, outside of that I'm not sure who would really give him 8/200+

My short list for 8/200 would be

Cubs

Yanks

Boston

LAA

LAD

STL

TEX

HOU

ATL

TOR

DET

SEA

Probably more. I think some teams have been waiting for him to come available, he's one of the best hitters to ever play.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
My short list for 8/200 would be

Cubs

Yanks

Boston

LAA

LAD

STL

TEX

HOU

ATL

TOR

DET

SEA

Probably more. I think some teams have been waiting for him to come available, he's one of the best hitters to ever play.

I think Detroit and Seattle are interesting, but for Detroit, that would be two sizable deals on their books with Cabrera and another decent one with V-Mart.

Again with the Cubs, I don't see how they realistically have the money for it. I posted on the last page, if they can't dump Zambrano, and gave Pujols 27m, which actually seems like it might not get it done, they would have 63m for 3 players between those 2 and Soriano, and you are getting less and less production out of Soriano every year.

Another reason I question the Cubs signing him is they are not in the position to maximize his revenue ability, the Shrine isn't set up for it. There's no secret Ricketts has a desire to revamp Wrigley to get more revenue, I'm sure we all remember that debacle a few months ago when he was asking the state for money. So at this point he would have to front the money, when he's already serving 30m of debt a year for a team worth less than he paid for, take on new partners, or secure debt with the state in a plan he apparently has no interest in. If he doesn't do that the Cubs could sell out every game and they are still limited on revenue streams.

I think LAA makes sense because the have a refurbished stadium that maximizes all possible revenues, they also have a higher capacity, so I feel they are the team that can maximize his revenue the most.

He reportedly turned down 8/200+ so that number is going to be either 8 and significantly more than 200 or 2 more years and more money.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I think Detroit and Seattle are interesting, but for Detroit, that would be two sizable deals on their books with Cabrera and another decent one with V-Mart.

Again with the Cubs, I don't see how they realistically have the money for it. I posted on the last page, if they can't dump Zambrano, and gave Pujols 27m, which actually seems like it might not get it done, they would have 63m for 3 players between those 2 and Soriano, and you are getting less and less production out of Soriano every year.

Another reason I question the Cubs signing him is they are not in the position to maximize his revenue ability, the Shrine isn't set up for it. There's no secret Ricketts has a desire to revamp Wrigley to get more revenue, I'm sure we all remember that debacle a few months ago when he was asking the state for money. So at this point he would have to front the money, when he's already serving 30m of debt a year for a team worth less than he paid for, take on new partners, or secure debt with the state in a plan he apparently has no interest in. If he doesn't do that the Cubs could sell out every game and they are still limited on revenue streams.

I think LAA makes sense because the have a refurbished stadium that maximizes all possible revenues, they also have a higher capacity, so I feel they are the team that can maximize his revenue the most.

He reportedly turned down 8/200+ so that number is going to be either 8 and significantly more than 200 or 2 more years and more money.

If he leaves Stl, I think it's the Cubs or LAA that get him. Cubs lose 50 plus mil after this season and Zambrano/Dempster contracts in 2012. They have more than enough money to give Pujols what he wants. Remember even though they cut some money this year, they still carry a heavy payroll. LAA would make sense because Moreno would spend the money and it would help the Angels in the LA market where they always play 2nd fiddle to the Dodgers. Plus Pujols stands to make more money in endorsements in major markets like Chicago and LA then a small-mid market like Stl.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
If anyone thinks that Pujols won't clear a $250 million+ contract if he stays healthy this season, you're kidding yourself.

I agree. I'd go so far as to say anyone who thinks that he'll be okay making the same amount as Mark Texiera ($22mil a year), Ryan Howard ($25mil a year), or A-Rod ($27.5 mil a year) is kidding themselves. The guy is going for $30 mil year, make no bones about it. If the Cardinals won't give it to him, he'll most likely get it somewhere else. Regardless if you like some of these guys or not, they're all alpha males with massive egos. Pujols knows he's better than the guys listed above and wants to get paid like it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
People keep mentioning the Cubs, but has anyone thought maybe Pujols wouldn't want to tarnish his legacy with the Cardinals and go play for their rival? To me, if Pujols leaves the Cards, it will be for the AL.

That was one of my first arguments. Pujols seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't want to do that to his legacy. But then if it's true that he turned down that offer from the Cardinals of 8/240, he might not give a rat's ass about his legacy.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
That was one of my first arguments. Pujols seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't want to do that to his legacy. But then if it's true that he turned down that offer from the Cardinals of 8/240, he might not give a rat's ass about his legacy.

The 8/240 was inaccurate, and sounds more like it was 8/204.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Heyman is saying at one point Pujols and his camp wanted part of the team, Heyman claims it's complicated but possible. That's crazy and something no team out there is going to give him in FA

If he were willing to give up some decent dollars in salary, as an owner, I would go for that. I'd rather give him a small share to keep him around than cripple the payroll dollars.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
People keep mentioning the Cubs, but has anyone thought maybe Pujols wouldn't want to tarnish his legacy with the Cardinals and go play for their rival? To me, if Pujols leaves the Cards, it will be for the AL.

If he doesn't want to tarnish his legacy, he won't leave St Louis.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)

If the non-Cardinals' signing team is smart, that's the only option. Given the length of contract required, you'd want to have the opportunity to DH a 39 year old Albert.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
If he doesn't want to tarnish his legacy, he won't leave St Louis.

People are so used to guys leaving in FA these days that I have a hard time believing that would really "Tarnish his legacy". He's not destroying an entire city, I doubt he'll be stupid enough to do it on TV, or antyhing like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
People are so used to guys leaving in FA these days that I have a hard time believing that would really "Tarnish his legacy". He's not destroying an entire city, I doubt he'll be stupid enough to do it on TV, or antyhing like that.

St Louis will be pissed if he leaves. Also if he ends up leaving a $30 mill/yr contract on the table to do it, he will turn into ARod. Alex was pretty universally loved until he signed his massive deal. Then it was all downhill.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
St Louis will be pissed if he leaves. Also if he ends up leaving a $30 mill/yr contract on the table to do it, he will turn into ARod. Alex was pretty universally loved until he signed his massive deal. Then it was all downhill.

He was disliked though because his massive deal also wasn't translating into wins. There's a lot more to the equation than the way you're presenting it.