Jays trade Wells to Angels for Rivera/Napoli

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Given the big advantage of the ballpark they play in, their offense wasn't actually that spectacular last year. They put up a .757 team OPS. The White Sox were right behind at a .752 OPS. They've replaced Guerrero's production with Beltre's (although you know how I feel about that), but they were still looking at having a couple of weak positions there, at 1b and at C.

Don't forget that Cruz/Kinsler spent a considerable amount of time on the DL and Hamilton missed the last month. If they can stay reasonably healthy, I see their offense being substantially better. And it's going to have to be. As I'm not a big believer in their starting rotation after losing Lee.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Don't forget that Cruz/Kinsler spent a considerable amount of time on the DL and Hamilton missed the last month. If they can stay reasonably healthy, I see their offense being substantially better. And it's going to have to be. As I'm not a big believer in their starting rotation after losing Lee.

I didn't forget about that....OTOH...the guys who spent considerable time on the DL have a habit of spending considerable time on the DL (Hamilton and Cruz in particular). Wouldn't surprise me if they were healthier than last season, but also wouldn't surprise me if they lost any of them for a long time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
I can't believe that AA is setting himself up to make a run at Pujols. Would Albert even want to go to Toronto?

Probably not. They could also be saving this money because they have a ton of early picks in this draft and are looking to spend out the ass. If you bring in 6 ridiculously talented players (who they can take because of signability), your already good system takes another huge step forward.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
Probably not. They could also be saving this money because they have a ton of early picks in this draft and are looking to spend out the ass. If you bring in 6 ridiculously talented players (who they can take because of signability), your already good system takes another huge step forward.

And then go after Fielder instead. Would be the smarter choice, actually.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)
And then go after Fielder instead. Would be the smarter choice, actually.

I dunno about that...they're both going to get an awful lot of money, but Pujols might well hang around playing the field for longer than Fielder, and it's a tossup which one will hold together better over the length of a contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
I dunno about that...they're both going to get an awful lot of money, but Pujols might well hang around playing the field for longer than Fielder, and it's a tossup which one will hold together better over the length of a contract.

Give me Pujols anyday of the week. Fielder looks like he will get Carlos Lee syndrome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Give me Pujols anyday of the week. Fielder looks like he will get Carlos Lee syndrome.

Here's the 2 differences...Pujols will be 32 next season, while Fielder will be 27 1/2, and Pujols may well get a contract 3-4 years longer than Fielder.

That said...Pujols has been so much more consistent...I'm just not sure I'd be thrilled about spending $25 mil a year on either of them, especially if I were a national league GM.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
Here's the 2 differences...Pujols will be 32 next season, while Fielder will be 27 1/2, and Pujols may well get a contract 3-4 years longer than Fielder.

That said...Pujols has been so much more consistent...I'm just not sure I'd be thrilled about spending $25 mil a year on either of them, especially if I were a national league GM.

I bet Pujols at 37, out hits Fielder at 32.5.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
FWIW, Cecil Fielder's last solid season was when he was 32 (.834 OPS over a full year).

I know Prince is big too, but he seems to be like 2/3 the size of Cecil Fielder. I mean, Cecil seemed like he weighed around 350 towards the end of his career, like he should be playing left guard instead of 1B.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
FWIW, Cecil Fielder's last solid season was when he was 32 (.834 OPS over a full year).

Daddy also never got a contract like sonny-boy is going to get. Prince is going to make his dads entire career earnings in under two seasons with his new deal.