Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
At the end of the day, LSU and Bama are coached by Big 10 guys. Right now the difference between the SEC and everyone else is success in the NC game. I dont know how great of an indicator that is (but it is the best one we have). The other difference is over-signing and that practice just needs to go.

I think oversigning is a bit overstated. First off, the SEC has changed their rules which severely limit the practice, possibly even less so than the Big Ten Policy. Second, let's not forget that the Big Ten can oversign by three to 28. I agree with you on premise, but they are still limited to 25 scholarships per class, just like the Big Ten. I think the instances of them forcing players out is more the exception and not the rule.

I looked at 8 SEC teams and their classes from the past 4 years. (I didn't look at Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State or Vandy because they don't count)

Only 8 of the 32 classes from those 8 teams had classes over the 28 that the Big Ten allows. The biggest two offenders were Arkansas, South Carolina and Auburn with two instances each. I know Auburn not only went through a coaching change, but they also lost a lot of players due to discipline and other various reasons. Alabama has not surpassed 28 since 2008. LSU only in 2010 with 29. Georgia, Florida and Tennessee have not gone over 27 at all in the past four years.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
I think oversigning is a bit overstated. First off, the SEC has changed their rules which severely limit the practice, possibly even less so than the Big Ten Policy. Second, let's not forget that the Big Ten can oversign by three to 28. I agree with you on premise, but they are still limited to 25 scholarships per class, just like the Big Ten. I think the instances of them forcing players out is more the exception and not the rule.

I looked at 8 SEC teams and their classes from the past 4 years. (I didn't look at Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State or Vandy because they don't count)

Only 8 of the 32 classes from those 8 teams had classes over the 28 that the Big Ten allows. The biggest two offenders were Arkansas, South Carolina and Auburn with two instances each. I know Auburn not only went through a coaching change, but they also lost a lot of players due to discipline and other various reasons. Alabama has not surpassed 28 since 2008. LSU only in 2010 with 29. Georgia, Florida and Tennessee have not gone over 27 at all in the past four years.

8 SEC teams average 1 more player per year than the highest Big Ten team. Since 2002 the SEC has signed almost 600 more players than the Big Ten and has been over 25 players 54 times to the 18 of the Big Ten. They have signed over 28 players 33 times. Right now there are 6 SEC teams who have signed more players than there are available scholarships per the NCAA rule. Bama, LSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas all signed more than 10 players over their budget to be at 85.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Have fun in the SEC, Mizzou.

I hate this move so much. My quidditch team is the last remaining Mizzou-KU rivalry, because Kansas doesn't want to continue it if we're not in our conference that we've been in for 104 years. And I hate the SEC.

f***ing Texas.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
I hate this move so much. My quidditch team is the last remaining Mizzou-KU rivalry, because Kansas doesn't want to continue it if we're not in our conference that we've been in for 104 years. And I hate the SEC.

f***ing Texas.

I don't think it's possible to write a statement that better summarizes how screwed up this conference realignment thing is. 2 schools in the middle of the country, harry potter reference, dislike at the South, and a curse placed upon Texas.

I'd have lived a happier life if I'd never heard anything about conference realignment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
I don't think it's possible to write a statement that better summarizes how screwed up this conference realignment thing is. 2 schools in the middle of the country, harry potter reference, dislike at the South, and a curse placed upon Texas.

I'd have lived a happier life if I'd never heard anything about conference realignment.

Not kidding about Quidditch. Currently talking with some KU Quidditch players and we're all pissed. We've decided that if the IQA goes through with their plans for a full season, we're staying in the f***ing Big 12/Midwest because we're poor and have to drive still.

Seriously, no rivalries now. I f***ing hate this. We don't have the SEC Football culture. This is all Texas' fault. Not going to drive my ass to any away games now. f*** that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Not kidding about Quidditch. Currently talking with some KU Quidditch players and we're all pissed. We've decided that if the IQA goes through with their plans for a full season, we're staying in the f***ing Big 12/Midwest because we're poor and have to drive still.

Seriously, no rivalries now. I f***ing hate this. We don't have the SEC Football culture. This is all Texas' fault. Not going to drive my ass to any away games now. f*** that.

Again, it's not all Texas' fault, but I do hate the destruction of rivalries.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Again, it's not all Texas' fault, but I do hate the destruction of rivalries.

Ok, Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska all have a lot of blame.

But Texas could have stopped it if they hadn't just started started looking to the Pac-12 or the SEC earlier this year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Ok, Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska all have a lot of blame.

But Texas could have stopped it if they hadn't just started started looking to the Pac-12 or the SEC earlier this year.

Agreed.

There's a lot of different blame to go around. Every school but Texas didn't want to try a Big 12 Network, for example.

But Nebraska is still the most hypocritical, saying that the unequal revenue sharing was the reason they were leaving when they were the biggest champion of it all along.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
8 SEC teams average 1 more player per year than the highest Big Ten team. Since 2002 the SEC has signed almost 600 more players than the Big Ten and has been over 25 players 54 times to the 18 of the Big Ten. They have signed over 28 players 33 times. Right now there are 6 SEC teams who have signed more players than there are available scholarships per the NCAA rule. Bama, LSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas all signed more than 10 players over their budget to be at 85.

Who cares about going back to 2002. That doesn't affect the teams on the field today. The bottom line is the Big Ten can sign up to 28 per year. Players leave and there is natural attrition at every school. 5th year seniors who graduate and aren't playing much don't come back. Just because they signed more than 10 players over the 85 limit it doesn't mean anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by 6 SEC teams have signed more players than are available scholarships. I am assuming it goes back to attrition. If players transfer, quit, get kicked off the team or whatever reason leave early, they should be replaced. So unless you are intimately familiar with the roster management of each school, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)

Dude seriously? f*** kansas. We're leaving them behind for a mid major league once the Big 12 finishes imploding.

Also, do you realize that Waco, Lubbock, College Station and Austin are about as far away as Athens, Baton Rouge and Auburn? South Carolina and Florida are farther, but with Nebraska (and Colorado who wasn't closer either) gone the number of fairly close schools in the conference is about the same. Plus, who wouldn't want to travel to SEC football games?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
Dude seriously? f*** kansas. We're leaving them behind for a mid major league once the Big 12 finishes imploding.

Also, do you realize that Waco, Lubbock, College Station and Austin are about as far away as Athens, Baton Rouge and Auburn? South Carolina and Florida are farther, but with Nebraska (and Colorado who wasn't closer either) gone the number of fairly close schools in the conference is about the same. Plus, who wouldn't want to travel to SEC football games?

I really looked forward to KU Basketball...

It's just annoying. No rivalry now unless we're counting A&M, who is apparently our main rival now.

Plus, we're in the Eastern Division, so that means more games farther out by SC and Florida.

Also, I just think we'll get walloped for the next few years in football, which since that's when I'm here, not exactly a fan of.

I mean yes, better conference, but that's about it. And I don't think we'll be towards the top of it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
I really looked forward to KU Basketball...

It's just annoying. No rivalry now unless we're counting A&M, who is apparently our main rival now.

Plus, we're in the Eastern Division, so that means more games farther out by SC and Florida.

Also, I just think we'll get walloped for the next few years in football, which since that's when I'm here, not exactly a fan of.

I mean yes, better conference, but that's about it. And I don't think we'll be towards the top of it.

We'll be better next year. It's tough to be competitive with a first year QB. You gotta keep the faith. Missouri has 3 10 win seasons in the past 4. They've been a top 15-20 program for a while now so it's not like they're below average in SEC football. Heck, the Big 12 is better than the SEC this year anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
We'll be better next year. It's tough to be competitive with a first year QB. You gotta keep the faith. Missouri has 3 10 win seasons in the past 4. They've been a top 15-20 program for a while now so it's not like they're below average in SEC football. Heck, the Big 12 is better than the SEC this year anyway.

Dan, you know damn well that Mizzou's rise coincided with a remarkably weak Big 12 North. The road gets much tougher, as it already has this year for them.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)

James Franklin won't lead us anywhere.

He looks too calm in the pocket and has a knack for momentum killing INT's. Terrible acceleration for a "dual-threat" quarterback. Maybe it's mental, but he's instilling a Good Rex/Bad Rex-esque worry in me. Also, the secondary is just bad.

I do think Mauk will be a good improvement as a QB if he can beat Franklin for the spot, but Missouri needs Dorial Green-Beckham to commit to them and not anywhere else to have a hope.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
Dan, you know damn well that Mizzou's rise coincided with a remarkably weak Big 12 North. The road gets much tougher, as it already has this year for them.

Really? I thought our rise coincided with having Chase Daniel QBing a team that included three first round picks (Jeremy Maclin, Sean Weatherspoon and Ziggy Hood). Last year's 10-win team had two first round picks as well (Gabbert, Aldon Smith). Mizzou has had talent. It's not smoke and mirrors and a weak division.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
James Franklin won't lead us anywhere.

He looks too calm in the pocket and has a knack for momentum killing INT's. Terrible acceleration for a "dual-threat" quarterback. Maybe it's mental, but he's instilling a Good Rex/Bad Rex-esque worry in me. Also, the secondary is just bad.

I do think Mauk will be a good improvement as a QB if he can beat Franklin for the spot, but Missouri needs Dorial Green-Beckham to commit to them and not anywhere else to have a hope.

I have my doubts about Franklin, but that's a first year QB for ya. You gotta cut him some slack in the future. Gabbert had his moments and each of the last two successful QBs lost 5 games in their first year starting so it's not unheard of.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Really? I thought our rise coincided with having Chase Daniel QBing a team that included three first round picks (Jeremy Maclin, Sean Weatherspoon and Ziggy Hood). Last year's 10-win team had two first round picks as well (Gabbert, Aldon Smith). Mizzou has had talent. It's not smoke and mirrors and a weak division.

I have my doubts about Franklin, but that's a first year QB for ya. You gotta cut him some slack in the future. Gabbert had his moments and each of the last two successful QBs lost 5 games in their first year starting so it's not unheard of.

I didn't say it was the cause, but you can't tell me that the Big 12 North didn't help make it happen. They were the class of a weak division.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
I didn't say it was the cause, but you can't tell me that the Big 12 North didn't help make it happen.

To some extent maybe, but that talent was winning anywhere. The biggest win last year was OU, who isn't in the North. I'm not sure I see your argument.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
To some extent maybe, but that talent was winning anywhere. The biggest win last year was OU, who isn't in the North. I'm not sure I see your argument.

I just have trouble where many Mizzou fans are basing that the increased competition in the SEC argument doesn't hold water in terms of future success in the SEC when many of them base that fact on the recent 10 win teams in divisions that were far weaker than what they will encounter in the SEC.

I just think they will have issues at the beginning of their switch as their Texas recruiting slows down and their facilities will have trouble matching up against most SEC schools.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)

It's just his composure in the pocket. He looks like he gets the ball and is like "cool, football...do I need to do something...uh...do I throw it? s***...important...OH GOD A BIG GUY COMING TO TACKLE ME."

He doesn't look scared or nervous, he looks like he gives no f***s.