Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Twitter bomb dropped last night and several sites have picked up that Urban Meyer is going to be announced as the next OSU football coach.

Although a rumor at this point as people on here have seen before, I dont really like the guy.

Why would he leave Florida, who was still in pretty good shape, for health reasons, and then come back 2 years later?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Why would he leave Florida, who was still in pretty good shape, for health reasons, and then come back 2 years later?

Well, he did just interview with AZ and turn them down. I dont know, just saying what I heard, and this time from a pretty believable source. As for the why OSU, he has mentioned its his dream job since he grew up there and coached under Earle Bruce.

They said 7 years 35 million.

@ elevenwarriors We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural
Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

He left the UF talent pool in shambles. He recruited no offensive weapons during his last year or two. They dont have a running back who can run against SEC teams. Their WR corps sucks. Recruited a QB who couldnt fit into his offense. You can say if Meyer doesnt have a great system QB, ie Tebow or Alex Smith, his offense will suck.

He came in to a loaded program, won a title with Zook's players and then continued that momentum in getting some great talents that he didnt really have to work for because UF was the top school at the time. Dan Mullen leaves and his offense starts to slow up. Tebow leaves and he is lost out there.

He basically recruited right off of the Rivals website, which at times is a joke. He was getting 4 and 5 star recruits in the Rivals top 100 lists but there were lots of talk among local/state scouts who said a lot of those players were major reaches and overrated hype.

With all the bad pub OSU has gotten over the past year, they need a big splash as their new coach. I wouldnt go in that direction if I was OSU but its pretty understandable why they would. He is available right now and you cant take the chance of him going elsewhere and OSU striking out in trying to lure a coach from another school to Columbus.

I think the perfect coach for OSU would be Butch Davis. But the timing of him getting fired at UNC along with the OSU/NCAA thing is just bad right now.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
Ha, I've been saying Meyer at OSU pretty much since Tressel was fired. The only reason to think it wouldn't happen is his health, and we have precedent for him ignoring that with his "leave of abscense" at Florida.

health was code for "Tebow is leaving and I'm f***ed because I didnt bother recruiting anyone worth a damn so I better quit now so I dont embarrass myself".

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
health was code for "Tebow is leaving and I'm f***ed because I didnt bother recruiting anyone worth a damn so I better quit now so I dont embarrass myself".

Which time? When he took that leave of absence, he was only gone for like 2 months.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
And then boom, Zooker gets one of the top outside LB's in the country:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/...job-uncertainty

only because Brown wanted to be a package with his brother and no other school was willing to offer his brother.

Brown is talented but he doesnt bring it on the field. I would still take him at Miami because maybe the right coach can light a fire and get this kid rolling. Who knows really...

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
Which time? When he took that leave of absence, he was only gone for like 2 months.

Florida begged him to come back(which was dumb on their part) and the whole 2 month leave of absence was something they fed to the media. He wasnt gone for spring practices.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
only because Brown wanted to be a package with his brother and no other school was willing to offer his brother.

There is nothing wrong with that. That's how Ron Turner managed to recruit two brothers named Mendenhall and that worked out pretty well for Illinois.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)

Rumor has it he had a little co-ed drama down there too. Who knows. I personally thought the guy was scum when he was at Florida, but OSU will do nothing but look for Ohio guys that will make good press.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
There is nothing wrong with that. That's how Ron Turner managed to recruit two brothers named Mendenhall and that worked out pretty well for Illinois.

Zach Boren worked out pretty well for OSU, so did package deal Jordan Hall.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)

Nothing wrong with it as long as you think the better of the package is worth 2 scholarships.

Plus Miami might may not be able to afford just giving away spots if the NCAA decides to take some ships away.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
He left the UF talent pool in shambles. He recruited no offensive weapons during his last year or two. They dont have a running back who can run against SEC teams. Their WR corps sucks. Recruited a QB who couldnt fit into his offense. You can say if Meyer doesnt have a great system QB, ie Tebow or Alex Smith, his offense will suck.

He came in to a loaded program, won a title with Zook's players and then continued that momentum in getting some great talents that he didnt really have to work for because UF was the top school at the time. Dan Mullen leaves and his offense starts to slow up. Tebow leaves and he is lost out there.

He basically recruited right off of the Rivals website, which at times is a joke. He was getting 4 and 5 star recruits in the Rivals top 100 lists but there were lots of talk among local/state scouts who said a lot of those players were major reaches and overrated hype.

Dude come on. You're trying to say a guy that won 2 National titles in the span of a few years was bad for the program. I know you hate Florida so you have no chance of looking at this realistically, but come on. You went a long way to discredit a coach who has no business being discredited.

You basically just said 'Yeah, he won two national titles, but he didn't leave the program in position for a third so he's not that good.'

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Dude come on. You're trying to say a guy that won 2 National titles in the span of a few years was bad for the program. I know you hate Florida so you have no chance of looking at this realistically, but come on. You went a long way to discredit a coach who has no business being discredited.

You basically just said 'Yeah, he won two national titles, but he didn't leave the program in position for a third so he's not that good.'

I've read my post a few times now so I'm going to need you to point out where I said he was bad for the program.

And everything I said (minus recruiting straight off of Rivals b/c I really dont know that but it sure looks like he did) is true. Everyone wants to talk about him being this spread option guru but any smart Gator fan will be the first to tell you it was Dan Mullen who was the mastermind behind it all. I watch just about every Gator game and in Tebow's last season, that offense was anemic without Mullen there calling the plays. The joke among Gator fans was that the playbook was 5 plays deep. And last year was even worse.

He relied heavily on assistants like a lot of head coaches do. But when his assistants starting leaving, especially Doc Holliday going to WVU, there wasnt a slight drop off but a major drop in recruiting and on the field. So either Meyer got burned out and cashed it in during the last 2 years or his assistants were the ones making him look really good. Probably somewhere in between.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Even though it probably should be LSU-Alabama...man, thats going to be the most boring title game ever.

Atleast it will be close.

With 6 weeks off, I think the last non boring title game we've had was the Texas-USC game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 04:44 AM)
So if ISU pulls this off (still a big if) and LSU and Alabama win out, there has to be a rematch of those two teams in the title game right? I don't know how you would possibly make the case for anyone else over Bama.

It'll be Oklahoma or Oregon. Alabama does not deserve another chance since their loss was at home.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
Well the upset isn't happening, but I will not root for it anyway, as I don't want any part of an LSU/Alabama or LSU/Oregon rematch. Let's see this Okie St/LSU game if they get by Okla.

Owned, b****.

No no no no no no no no no no no no LSU/Alabama rematch. That game has already been played, and the home team lost. Someone else. Anyone else.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)
So if ISU pulls this off (still a big if) and LSU and Alabama win out, there has to be a rematch of those two teams in the title game right? I don't know how you would possibly make the case for anyone else over Bama.

Can't do it. I refuse to let a team that didn't win their division go to the title game (and yes I realize it happened before, how did that turn out?). Hopefully Arkansas beats LSU and we can all just s*** the bed over this season.