Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
How was it 10 wins at least?

Hell, Mizzou had more of a shot at that and we have a secondary comparable to most high school secondaries.

You are quoting the wrong guy but I think he figured out 10 was a bit of a stretch.

With that said, the Big Ten blows this year, that BCS game isnt going to be very good with the team performing as they are right now.

Second, good to see Oregon get knocked out, I'm sick of seeing them exposed in BCS games, give them a year or so and then they can come back.

And third, I think I like Barkley over Luck, and I'm serious.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im not sure it mattered because Vandy would have likely lost anyways, but im not sure how the Refs in the UT-vandy game can get away with what happened on the last play of the game.

UT picks off Jordan Rodgers, and returns it for a TD. Play was CLEARLY whistled and signaled dead by the linesman who mistakenly thought his knee was down (his knee was clearly not down, but it shouldn't matter because the play was blown dead).

So the ruling is that he is down, not that it was a TD. If the player is ruled down, which he was, the play is unreviewable by definition because a whistle blew stopping play. This was the initial call by the refs

Somehow, the refs review the play, determine the knee was not down, and over the PA system to the second biggest stadium in college football, the ref Lies to everyone, and says there was never any whistle, and never any signal that the play was dead (even though this was their initial on the field ruling, and replays clearly confirm it), and they say it was a TD.

They reviewed and play they knew was unreviewable, and then lied about not blowing the whistle, all because they knew the initial on the field call was wrong. SEC officials released this statement afterwards...

"On the last play of the Vanderbilt-Tennessee game, in overtime, the Tennessee defender intercepted the pass, his knee did not touch the ground and he returned the interception for a touchdown. During the play, the head linesman incorrectly ruled that the Tennessee player's knee was down when he intercepted the pass by blowing his whistle and giving the dead ball signal. The play was reviewed as if there was no whistle on the field and as a result, overturned the incorrect ruling. By rule, if there was a whistle blown, the play is not reviewable."

I really think its an absolutely unacceptable move by the officials who should IMO be suspended the rest of the year

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Im not sure it mattered because Vandy would have likely lost anyways, but im not sure how the Refs in the UT-vandy game can get away with what happened on the last play of the game.

UT picks off Jordan Rodgers, and returns it for a TD. Play was CLEARLY whistled and signaled dead by the linesman who mistakenly thought his knee was down (his knee was clearly not down, but it shouldn't matter because the play was blown dead).

So the ruling is that he is down, not that it was a TD. If the player is ruled down, which he was, the play is unreviewable by definition because a whistle blew stopping play. This was the initial call by the refs

Somehow, the refs review the play, determine the knee was not down, and over the PA system to the second biggest stadium in college football, the ref Lies to everyone, and says there was never any whistle, and never any signal that the play was dead (even though this was their initial on the field ruling, and replays clearly confirm it), and they say it was a TD.

They reviewed and play they knew was unreviewable, and then lied about not blowing the whistle, all because they knew the initial on the field call was wrong. SEC officials released this statement afterwards...

"On the last play of the Vanderbilt-Tennessee game, in overtime, the Tennessee defender intercepted the pass, his knee did not touch the ground and he returned the interception for a touchdown. During the play, the head linesman incorrectly ruled that the Tennessee player's knee was down when he intercepted the pass by blowing his whistle and giving the dead ball signal. The play was reviewed as if there was no whistle on the field and as a result, overturned the incorrect ruling. By rule, if there was a whistle blown, the play is not reviewable."

I really think its an absolutely unacceptable move by the officials who should IMO be suspended the rest of the year

I thought the referee work in the USC-Oregon game was pretty shoddy too. Did you see Barkley get called for intentionally grounding when his reciever ran the wrong route? Or the running into the kicker penalty that negated a blocked field goal? It was really bad, im pretty sure Ed Hochuli's son was the head ref

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
You are quoting the wrong guy but I think he figured out 10 was a bit of a stretch.

With that said, the Big Ten blows this year, that BCS game isnt going to be very good with the team performing as they are right now.

Second, good to see Oregon get knocked out, I'm sick of seeing them exposed in BCS games, give them a year or so and then they can come back.

I really don't think 10 was a stretch given how they started and the schedule they had. They were 6-0 with an offense scoring 30+ a game. Then suddenly it all stopped. Until yesterday (4 games) they failed to score ANY points in the 1st half. And they kept beating themselves. Horrendous special teams play and terrible turnovers.

Out of these last 5 games, they should have beaten OSU, they should have beaten PSU and they should have beaten WIS given how they dominated the first half. They gifted WIS half of their points and eventually just gave up. They should win next week against MINN. And really they had a chance against MICH but again shot themselves in the foot.

I see what you guys are saying - they lost because special teams isn't good and their offense isn't as good. But I see it from the perspective that the talent is clearly there, the defense was there and the schedule was definitely there. It came down to self-inflicted problems and terrible coaching. Shocker that i'm describing Illinois football.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)

I've been watching Luck and trying to see the infatuation for a year now...I don't doubt that he is a very good prospect, I just don't see what makes him "one of the best quarterback prospects ever." The way the ball comes out of his hand just doesn't impress me all that much.

Of course, I thought David Carr was going to be an awesome NFL quarterback.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Or just cheer for ISU to beat OK State on Friday night. :)

ESPN at 7 PM, replacing Heat/Cavs.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
You b****es better cheer for us taking a whack at Goliath on Friday.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
Well the upset isn't happening, but I will not root for it anyway, as I don't want any part of an LSU/Alabama or LSU/Oregon rematch. Let's see this Okie St/LSU game if they get by Okla.

DONT CARE WE'RE BOWLING

kind of drunk

again, don't care, we're iowa state, i'll celebrate if we qualify for the ball of twine bowl against vandy

WOOOOOOOO

didn't get drunk after the game...had to work. straight zombie mode on saturday after two hours of sleep.....WE WON b****ES WOOOOOOO

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)

It's about damn time UT caught a break regarding officiating. After the LSU and North Carolina f*** ups last year, we more than deserve that. And the ref shouldn't have f'd up the call in the first place. That knee wasn't even close to being down.

barring a Vince Wilfork TD tonight, the streak of 149 consecutive weeks of a TD scored by a former Miami Hurricane player will come to an end. Last time a NFL week was played without a former Cane scoring a TD was Week 14 of the 2002 season.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Miami self imposes a bowl ban for this year.

Kinda sucks right now but I'm sure this will help lessen any type of punishment the NCAA may give the school. Give up the bowl game and move onto the future.

All it will do is take a bowl off of the punishment. Not a bad year to do it though, I was hoping we'd self impose one this year as well.

Very unlikely, but what I'm hoping for:

Arkansas beats LSU Friday

Auburn beats Alabama Saturday

Notre Dame beats Stanford Saturday

Georgia beats Arkansas 12/3

Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State 12/3

Clemson beats Virginia Tech 12/3

At that point, the only undefeated team is Houston and the only 1-loss teams are LSU and Boise State. Who gets into the NC game then???

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Very unlikely, but what I'm hoping for:

Arkansas beats LSU Friday

Auburn beats Alabama Saturday

Notre Dame beats Stanford Saturday

Georgia beats Arkansas 12/3

Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State 12/3

Clemson beats Virginia Tech 12/3

At that point, the only undefeated team is Houston and the only 1-loss teams are LSU and Boise State. Who gets into the NC game then???

LSU for sure. And I'd say some 2-loss teams (Bama, Ok St) could still have a chance like LSU in '07 when they ended up winning the NC with 2 losses.

A far more likely scenario is simply Georgia beating LSU and the two teams in the title game (still LSU-Bama with 1 loss) will play for the national title while neither won its conference. That's still not very likely, but it's just one upset away.

This whole mess sure has to make Boise feel like s***. They would have had their best shot at the title game if they went undefeated this year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
barring a Vince Wilfork TD tonight, the streak of 149 consecutive weeks of a TD scored by a former Miami Hurricane player will come to an end. Last time a NFL week was played without a former Cane scoring a TD was Week 14 of the 2002 season.

The next streak is 13 weeks... By Pitt.

A much longer yet much less impressive streak is that every NFL week from 1993 through 2010 featured at least one punt by a player from Notre Dame.