Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
This is why I think they hire an defensive minded head coach IMO. It would help with a quick start.

I think the better idea is try going after an offensive guy and sell them on our current d-coordinator who I think is pretty good at his job.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
This is why I think they hire an defensive minded head coach IMO. It would help with a quick start.

The defense did pretty damn well this year with Koenning as the DC. The offensive side of the ball is where they struggled without a Mendenhall/LeShoure quality back.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I think the better idea is try going after an offensive guy and sell them on our current d-coordinator who I think is pretty good at his job.

I was under the impression the new HC would bring in his own staff, if they keep him then Chryst may be the best option.

The problem for Illinois is that its going to be hard for them to lure an impact coach without breaking the bank. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin's coordinator) isnt going to Illinois, he turned down the Dallas Cowboys OC job and most people believe he isnt going to leave Madison until his kids are out of HS (Chryst is from Madison and went to school there),

I personally think that Illinois should try and get a well respected coordinator/HC who is going to run a pro-style offense. No reason Illinois cant be as successful as a team like MSU.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
The problem for Illinois is that its going to be hard for them to lure an impact coach without breaking the bank. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin's coordinator) isnt going to Illinois, he turned down the Dallas Cowboys OC job and most people believe he isnt going to leave Madison until his kids are out of HS (Chryst is from Madison and went to school there),

I personally think that Illinois should try and get a well respected coordinator/HC who is going to run a pro-style offense. No reason Illinois cant be as successful as a team like MSU.

I would love this. I'm so tired of the f'n spread offense.

Speaking of, got a good laugh when some analyst this weekend was talking about the impact Urban Meyer would bring with this newfangled thing called a spread offense. He apparently didn't know that a good chunk of the league (Illinois, Purdue and Michigan, and to an extent OSU and Indiana) already has the scheme in place, and has for a number of years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I would love this. I'm so tired of the f'n spread offense.

Speaking of, got a good laugh when some analyst this weekend was talking about the impact Urban Meyer would bring with this newfangled thing called a spread offense. He apparently didn't know that a good chunk of the league (Illinois, Purdue and Michigan, and to an extent OSU and Indiana) already has the scheme in place, and has for a number of years.

NW and Purdue have been running the spread for a long time. People are too concerned with the "titles" of schemes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
So, Illinois goes 6-0, then 0-6 and looks dead to the world in their last game. Fires the head coach.

Does Illinois get a bowl berth?

They still may. The Big Ten has 10 eligible teams & only 9 bowls to fill if Michigan makes the BCS, so Illinois probably won't make that cut. But there are other conference like C-USA that don't have enough teams to fill their spots, so one of those bowls may be forced to take the team formerly known as the Fighting Zookers.

SI & ESPN both have them in the New Orleans Bowl facing Peanut's alma mater, LA-Lafayette

So, Illinois goes 6-0, then 0-6 and looks dead to the world in their last game. Fires the head coach.

Does Illinois get a bowl berth?

There are 70 bowl berths available.

There are currently 70 bowl-eligible teams (excluding Miami, who is bowl-eligible but has banned themselves from a bowl).

Pitt and Syracuse are both one win away from being bowl-eligible and play each other, so that gets the total to at least 71.

Connecticut, South Florida, UCLA, and Hawaii all need to win to become bowl-eligible, but all are underdogs.

So with at most 5 bowl-eligible teams being left out and more likely only 1 or 2, I don't see any Big Ten team being left out, even one on a 6-game losing streak.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
Going on Mizzou's student TV station tomorrow as a football analyst. Oh boy.

Please tell me you won't feed into the perpetual student fantasies of firing every offensive coach.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Rock, think Meyer will be able to hold onto/reel back in Brionte Dunn?

I know he's not your favorite, but what were your impressions of him last night?

Meyer is a slimy but effective recruiter, he called Dunn right after his press conference and told him he was going to run the power game with him. He was calling existing recruits and other team's all day today as well. I really like Ball, but I think they keep Dunn as well, most OSU fans are predicting a torrid recruiting run from here forward and knowing Meyer's past, I am guessing he is going to poach alot of talent from down south. He already stole Florida's recruiting coordinator.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Rock, think Meyer will be able to hold onto/reel back in Brionte Dunn?

I know he's not your favorite, but what were your impressions of him last night?

#1 DE in the nation just said OSU is now at the top of his list. Meyer is very effective.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
The more I think about it, the more I would be a fan of Mike Leach getting a look from Illinois.

Somebody will be smart to hire him. He has his major positive and negative aspects.

Positive:

Brilliant offense

Doesn't need 4 and 5 star recruits to win

Puts fans in seats with his offense and personality

Teams play well even against powerhouses

Graduates players

Neutral:

Recruiting is average

Schedules easiest OOC schedule in nation.

Negative:

Defense is an afterthought

No fundraising, speaking events, won't play nice with higher ups

Always looking for a raise after each season.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Somebody will be smart to hire him. He has his major positive and negative aspects.

Positive:

Brilliant offense

Doesn't need 4 and 5 star recruits to win

Puts fans in seats with his offense and personality

Teams play well even against powerhouses

Graduates players

Neutral:

Recruiting is average

Schedules easiest OOC schedule in nation.

Negative:

Defense is an afterthought

No fundraising, speaking events, won't play nice with higher ups

Always looking for a raise after each season.

Which is why a brand new AD won't hire him. I think the best indicator is to look at the AD's track record. Brian Kelly and Butch Jones both came from the MAC. HC experience at mid-major universities that had successful programs. Sooo...

I think Dan Doeren, Kevin Sumlin, maybe Chris Peterson (probably couldn't pry him away from BSU), Gary Patterson (probably can't pry him away from TCU)...but that level. The MAC is a coaching hot bed, always has been. I would lean towards a successful coach from there. Because putting people in seats is one thing...KEEPING people in seats is what needs to be done. Mike Leach is all first part, not sure about the second part in a place like Illinois.

Also, the Big Ten is still a destination conference for coaches, Illinois isn't necessarily a final destination, but it could be with recruiting hot beds in Chicago and St. Louis.

I'd rather have a solid all-around coach then a coach with "flash." But that's just me and I don't donate money to the program.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Which is why a brand new AD won't hire him. I think the best indicator is to look at the AD's track record. Brian Kelly and Butch Jones both came from the MAC. HC experience at mid-major universities that had successful programs. Sooo...

I think Dan Doeren, Kevin Sumlin, maybe Chris Peterson (probably couldn't pry him away from BSU), Gary Patterson (probably can't pry him away from TCU)...but that level. The MAC is a coaching hot bed, always has been. I would lean towards a successful coach from there. Because putting people in seats is one thing...KEEPING people in seats is what needs to be done. Mike Leach is all first part, not sure about the second part in a place like Illinois.

Also, the Big Ten is still a destination conference for coaches, Illinois isn't necessarily a final destination, but it could be with recruiting hot beds in Chicago and St. Louis.

I'd rather have a solid all-around coach then a coach with "flash." But that's just me and I don't donate money to the program.

Might be a moot point, he apparently is supposed be named coach at Washington State in the next day or so.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Please tell me you won't feed into the perpetual student fantasies of firing every offensive coach.

No, pretty much gave the Tigers Offense a C+ for KU game, D an A, gave them a B for the season overall, said they'll most likely go to the Holiday Bowl, MVP to Josey, and that they'll fare better then expected in the SEC next year if Josey returns, Franklin continues to grow, and they defy the odds and snag DGB.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
The more I think about it, the more I would be a fan of Mike Leach getting a look from Illinois.

Absolutely. It would bring some buzz to a program that desperately needs it. He won at TT with less than premier talent - he could do the same thing here. Doesn't seem likely though.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
I think Dan Doeren, Kevin Sumlin, maybe Chris Peterson (probably couldn't pry him away from BSU), Gary Patterson (probably can't pry him away from TCU)...but that level.

As you said Patterson probably wouldn't leave, but now that TCU is in the Big 12 it's a much better job than Illinois. Much better recruiting area, comparable/better conference, developed program.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
No, pretty much gave the Tigers Offense a C+ for KU game, D an A, gave them a B for the season overall, said they'll most likely go to the Holiday Bowl, MVP to Josey, and that they'll fare better then expected in the SEC next year if Josey returns, Franklin continues to grow, and they defy the odds and snag DGB.

Good ole MUTV...if Mizzou gets to the Holiday Bowl I'm gonna try to go but it doesn't sound like they will.