Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
So you're expecting the program's best year in 5 years? I don't see it. Tennessee hasn't been good for a while. I'm not expecting it to turn around magically.

FYI the Big 12 had the toughest schedules in the country (1-10 in the Sagarin ratings in fact) because the conference was much deeper than the SEC and the Big 12 played an extra conference game.

Uh, we went to the SEC Championship in '07 and blew a 4th quarter lead to eventual National Champion LSU or else would have gone to the Sugar Bowl that year. But yeah, I am expecting our best season since then. We had 3 senior starters this year. We had, I think, 4 seniors that started 2 years ago. That's a young team. So I think it is fair to expect a lot of improvement next year with much of the 2-deep comprised of Juniors and Sophomores rather than Sophomores and Freshman like this year.

So if adding 3 more wins to get to 8 next year is turning it around "magically," then yeah, I guess I expect it. We return 19 starters on offense and defense. They better improve.

And I'm talking about Tennessee's schedule specifically. I won't argue that the Big 12 teams, as a whole, had tougher schedules than SEC teams. But Tennessee's schedule was freaking tough.

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Uh, we went to the SEC Championship in '07 and blew a 4th quarter lead to eventual National Champion LSU or else would have gone to the Sugar Bowl that year. But yeah, I am expecting our best season since then. We had 3 senior starters this year. We had, I think, 4 seniors that started 2 years ago. That's a young team. So I think it is fair to expect a lot of improvement next year with much of the 2-deep comprised of Juniors and Sophomores rather than Sophomores and Freshman like this year.

And I'm talking about Tennessee's schedule specifically. I won't argue that the Big 12 teams, as a whole, had tougher schedules than SEC teams. But Tennessee's schedule was freaking tough.

2012-2007=5 years :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
this is getting me really excited.

Mizzou won't release a schedule because I think they're still in the 'can get sued' range. However, there is a rumor of their possible SEC schedule (in no order): Home against Kentucky, Vandy, UGA, A&M. At S. Car, Florida, Tenn, Ole Miss.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
2012-2007=5 years :)

Right. But as of now, it's been 4 years since we were a 4th quarter screw up from winning the SEC and going to the Sugar Bowl. My point is that I wouldn't consider your statement of "Tennessee hasn't been good for awhile" as accurate. But maybe we just have differing opinions on what "awhile" means.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Right. But as of now, it's been 4 years since we were a 4th quarter screw up from winning the SEC and going to the Sugar Bowl. My point is that I wouldn't consider your statement of "Tennessee hasn't been good for awhile" as accurate. But maybe we just have differing opinions on what "awhile" means.

There is no way you feel that the program has been up to standards for quite awhile.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
There is no way you feel that the program has been up to standards for quite awhile.

I don't understand what the confusion is. Of course Tennessee isn't up to standards. But my comment wasn't about being "up to standards for awhile." It was refuting we haven't been "good for awhile." There is a difference b/t the two. I'd say 3 SEC Championship appearances in the last 10 years is "good." Heck, it's better than 9 other teams in the SEC.

Anway, this is the roughest patch we've hit in 30+ years, but I'm really not too worried. Programs with as much history and money as Tennessee never stay down for long. I may be incredibly frustrated with football right now, but whether it's Dooley or (more likely) the guy after him, we will be competing for championships again. As long as we keep bringing in Top 10 recruiting classes (about to be our 3rd in a row), the talent level will be more in line with the rest of the league.

Aggies fire Sherman, who had them back on the road to respect with a top 10 recruiting class coming in. Then apparently are about to hire Kevin Sumlin from Houston.

Houston got a medical red-shirt on Case Keenum last year and he ended up starting his 5th year for the 12-0 team. Last year they managed 5-7 without him. Sumlin better send a huge gift basket to Keenum when he's done.

Aggies still have no clue what they are doing.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
I don't understand what the confusion is. Of course Tennessee isn't up to standards. But my comment wasn't about being "up to standards for awhile." It was refuting we haven't been "good for awhile." There is a difference b/t the two. I'd say 3 SEC Championship appearances in the last 10 years is "good." Heck, it's better than 9 other teams in the SEC.

Anway, this is the roughest patch we've hit in 30+ years, but I'm really not too worried. Programs with as much history and money as Tennessee never stay down for long. I may be incredibly frustrated with football right now, but whether it's Dooley or (more likely) the guy after him, we will be competing for championships again. As long as we keep bringing in Top 10 recruiting classes (about to be our 3rd in a row), the talent level will be more in line with the rest of the league.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. At least my impression of a "good" UT team is what yours is too. This is a rough patch for them and I consider them one of the top programs in the country for as long as I can remember. I think alot of us view them as down or not good if they arent back up to the standard. I dont think its an overall knock.

And I'm guessing my distaste of Urban is going to go away as soon as this recruiting class starts to finish, he is already having some players say OSU is their #1, players who never even looked twice at us before. I just hope he can do it honestly and with integrity.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Mizzou won't release a schedule because I think they're still in the 'can get sued' range. However, there is a rumor of their possible SEC schedule (in no order): Home against Kentucky, Vandy, UGA, A&M. At S. Car, Florida, Tenn, Ole Miss.

Thanks

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
So, Illinois goes 6-0, then 0-6 and looks dead to the world in their last game. Fires the head coach.

Does Illinois get a bowl berth?

If they do, that's a pretty clear indication that a good portion of the bowls need to be abolished.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
If they do, that's a pretty clear indication that a good portion of the bowls need to be abolished.

Illinois will be playing in a bowl. There are 70 bowl spots and there will be at most 75 bowl eligible teams. Illinois is a better and more desirable team than a lot of those available to the lower tier bowls.

And btw, I agree that there are too many bowls. It is ridiculous that well over half the FBS teams play in bowl games.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
fun for the fans too.

One of the more underrated parts of the bowl season is that those teams get an extra month or more of practice time, which is totally invaluable. For young teams who expect those players to carry their teams the next year, bowl season is a MUST.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
One of the more underrated parts of the bowl season is that those teams get an extra month or more of practice time, which is totally invaluable. For young teams who expect those players to carry their teams the next year, bowl season is a MUST.

This times a million. The people at NIU will swear by it, or at least the people in the football program I've talked to will. In 2008 and 2009, they had very young teams that both barely made bowl games (both were at-large bowl bids, not MAC ones because they were middle of the pack in the league) and they in fact lost both games. But they got a ton of extra practices. The last two years with a lot of those guys upperclassmen, they should have won conference and did win a bowl in 2010 and then did win conference this year (thank God). Obviously a lot more goes into that than the extra practices, but they really do help.

Edited by whitesoxfan101