Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
Hey Mizzou fans, yall should definitely consider making the trip to Knoxville next Fall. 11/10. Mark it on your calendars.

Where is this schedule? I'd be more likely to make a trip to nashville, sorry to say.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
I love hindsight.

Not hindsight family has been a season ticket holder since 1981.....................Turner and Zook both ran clean vanilla programs for the most part.............Illini need to get someone that will excite fanbase and a buzz in recruiting. Time to hit the homerun for once!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Not hindsight family has been a season ticket holder since 1981.....................Turner and Zook both ran clean vanilla programs for the most part.............Illini need to get someone that will excite fanbase and a buzz in recruiting. Time to hit the homerun for once!

LOL the reason he said that is because you said you hope Leach gets a look 4 posts after someone said Leach accepted the job at Washington State

Zook recruited well for being at Illinois, but not as much in the past few years. And it seems like you are against having a clean program...

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
Where is this schedule? I'd be more likely to make a trip to nashville, sorry to say.

Well, yeah, that's understandable. Nashville is awesome and a better city as a whole, obviously. I'd love to live there someday... But for just a Gameday weekend, Knoxville is way better.

And Tennessee released it's 2012 schedule. But I know most of the other SEC schools have not...

8/30 or 9/1 - NC State in Atlanta

9/8 - Georgia State

9/15 - Florida

9/22 - Akron

9/29 - at Georgia

10/6 - BYE

10/13 - at Mississippi State

10/20 - Alabama

10/27 - at South Carolina

11/3 - Troy

11/10- Missouri

11/17 - at Vanderbilt

11/24 - Kentucky

Edited by dasox24

Illini fans were squirting in their shorts over Zook and his recruiting when he was hired, and his first few years there. Pretending otherwise is hindsight at its finest.

The Chik-Fil-A Challenge is Tennessee and NC State?

Pretty lackluster on the national appeal.

That Georgia,Miss St,Alabama,South Carolina is a tough stretch.

edit---didnt realize the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff is having two games this year. Is it back to back nights?

Edited by zenryan

In reading the SEC boards now that I have an interest it's funny how these fans think. Tennessee just went 5-7 and lost to Kentucky. I find a board where they are talking 8-9 wins with that schedule. I can't wait to see my school play in the SEC, Knoxville could be a trip.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Illini fans were squirting in their shorts over Zook and his recruiting when he was hired, and his first few years there. Pretending otherwise is hindsight at its finest.

Ron Zook was an upgrade at the time the state of Illini football was in a real bad spot. Zook actually did leave the program in a better condition than what he walked into and I think that might help them land a better coach this time around. People seem to have a lot of confidence in the knew AD making a good hire too, I don't know much about him but hoping for the best. I don't see any reason why Illinois can't be a similar school to Missouri with the right coach.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
Ron Zook was an upgrade at the time the state of Illini football was in a real bad spot. Zook actually did leave the program in a better condition than what he walked into and I think that might help them land a better coach this time around. People seem to have a lot of confidence in the knew AD making a good hire too, I don't know much about him but hoping for the best. I don't see any reason why Illinois can't be a similar school to Missouri with the right coach.

Yeah, you gotta feel good about what Zook did overall. I'm sure he was frustrating because his talent was better than his W-L most years, but his W-L was still an improvement.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)

Well his hires at Cincy have worked out pretty well, that's where the confidence comes from.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)

No doubt, especially because Ron Turner wanted absolutely nothing to do with recruiting. Having a guy come in who was likable and started getting talent was music to everyone's ears. Then he started coaching...

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
In reading the SEC boards now that I have an interest it's funny how these fans think. Tennessee just went 5-7 and lost to Kentucky. I find a board where they are talking 8-9 wins with that schedule. I can't wait to see my school play in the SEC, Knoxville could be a trip.

Well, if you bothered to watch Tennessee this year, you'd know we lost our 2 best players and true playmakers for the entire season, and Bray missed 5 games so we were playing with s*** at QB. And we played the toughest schedule in the entire nation, including the #1, 2, and 3 ranked teams.

Plus, the whole 2-deep is freshman and sophomores, which doesn't mean they're going to be better but they better darn well be. But yes, the Kentucky loss has no excuse. That was a terrible game. Should have won 6 games this year. No reason not to.

As for next year, UT fans always have unrealistic expectations (being a Top 10 program of all time will do that to your fanbase), but 8 wins is a must. No doubt about it. If Dooley doesn't get 8, he's gone.

The way I see it, we should win all of our non-conference games. Add wins against Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, and that's 7 wins. All we need is to upset one of Florida (who is really down), Georgia, Bama, or Missouri and that's 8 wins. Doesn't seem all that unrealistic.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Well, if you bothered to watch Tennessee this year, you'd know we lost our 2 best players and true playmakers for the entire season, and Bray missed 5 games so we were playing with s*** at QB. And we played the toughest schedule in the entire nation, including the #1, 2, and 3 ranked teams.

Plus, the whole 2-deep is freshman and sophomores, which doesn't mean they're going to be better but they better darn well be. But yes, the Kentucky loss has no excuse. That was a terrible game. Should have won 6 games this year. No reason not to.

As for next year, UT fans always have unrealistic expectations (being a Top 10 program of all time will do that to your fanbase), but 8 wins is a must. No doubt about it. If Dooley doesn't get 8, he's gone.

The way I see it, we should win all of our non-conference games. Add wins against Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, and that's 7 wins. All we need is to upset one of Florida (who is really down), Georgia, Bama, or Missouri and that's 8 wins. Doesn't seem all that unrealistic.

So you're expecting the program's best year in 5 years? I don't see it. Tennessee hasn't been good for a while. I'm not expecting it to turn around magically.

FYI the Big 12 had the toughest schedules in the country (1-10 in the Sagarin ratings in fact) because the conference was much deeper than the SEC and the Big 12 played an extra conference game.