Big Board 2011

JPN366

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
uggg. I was really looking forward to watching his progression this year, I think he's a big time sleeper prospect.

He shouldn't be out too long, but it could hamper his performance once he's in playing shape.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 01:01 AM)
He shouldn't be out too long, but it could hamper his performance once he's in playing shape.

I wonder if he'll go back to Kanny once he's ready to play or if they'll go ahead and send him to W-S?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Whisler is back? To do what, be a lefty in the Charlotte pen?

As I predicted earlier in the thread. I think someone from the organization is taking my suggestions.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Buddy Bell is on with Farmer. Just said Mitchell is going to Winston-Salem.

That's a little faster than I thought they were going to go, but should still be slow enough that he'll be able to succeed. This doesn't surprise me as the Sox have generally been pretty aggressive with their prospects, whether Bell has been there or not.

Here's a link to my big board organizational projections. NorthSideSox72 said he would have a board up too.

EDIT: March 12...Jared Mitchell's destined for Winston-Salem, so sayeth Buddy Bell. That crowds up their outfield.

JPN366's 2011 Big Board 4.2 (Microsoft Works)

JPN366's 2011 Big Board 4.2 (Google Docs)

JPN, great job as always!! I notice in AA (Your back yard of course) you have Remenowsky as a relieiver and not closing. Is that by design? Have they made the decision to groom him as either a short or long reliever and take him away from closing duties where he was so lethal? I always had hope he could be our closer of the future with those K/BB splits per 9 innings.

That means he must be showing that he is fine again.

Not to hurry him at all but it would be great if he can make the jump of High A to AA in the middle of the season. That could put him on track for the Majors (Sep 2012 call up) next year.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
Not to hurry him at all but it would be great if he can make the jump of High A to AA in the middle of the season. That could put him on track for the Majors (Sep 2012 call up) next year.

Remember...this is a guy who everyone thought still had some work to do on his approach at the plate. There's risk associated with pushing him up too rapidly.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
JPN, great job as always!! I notice in AA (Your back yard of course) you have Remenowsky as a relieiver and not closing. Is that by design? Have they made the decision to groom him as either a short or long reliever and take him away from closing duties where he was so lethal? I always had hope he could be our closer of the future with those K/BB splits per 9 innings.

As the resident Remenowsky guy... for one thing, you have to remember that this guy missed two-thirds of last season because of his knee injury. He reports to be back to normal now, but still, he's only got a month and a half of A+ under his belt. AA is a pretty big jump in that situation as it is, closing would be bigger. I'd suspect if he comes in as a setup man in AA and does his usual thing, he'll be closing there soon enough. Remember too there are some other relievers that the org thinks more highly of that are likely also going to be in B-Ham, such as Nate Jones and Kyle Bellamy.

And as much as I like him to be a future major league reliever, I wouldn't expect him to close at the major league level. He still needs a few more clicks on the heat to even be in that discussion. I know last season that was a big emphasis for him - conditioning and strength work to put on a bit more velocity. But before that time, he was typically 89-90 with the fastball. His strikeouts result from a combination of superb control and the ability to throw multiple breaking pitches for strikes, along with a deceptive delivery that makes the fastball seem quicker than it is.

Dan says he's hoping for AA as well, but I think he needs to prove in camp that he's truly back to 100% health before they consider that.

As the resident Remenowsky guy... for one thing, you have to remember that this guy missed two-thirds of last season because of his knee injury. He reports to be back to normal now, but still, he's only got a month and a half of A+ under his belt. AA is a pretty big jump in that situation as it is, closing would be bigger. I'd suspect if he comes in as a setup man in AA and does his usual thing, he'll be closing there soon enough. Remember too there are some other relievers that the org thinks more highly of that are likely also going to be in B-Ham, such as Nate Jones and Kyle Bellamy.

And as much as I like him to be a future major league reliever, I wouldn't expect him to close at the major league level. He still needs a few more clicks on the heat to even be in that discussion. I know last season that was a big emphasis for him - conditioning and strength work to put on a bit more velocity. But before that time, he was typically 89-90 with the fastball. His strikeouts result from a combination of superb control and the ability to throw multiple breaking pitches for strikes, along with a deceptive delivery that makes the fastball seem quicker than it is.

Dan says he's hoping for AA as well, but I think he needs to prove in camp that he's truly back to 100% health before they consider that.

NSS72, thanx for the great update. I didn´t know what his bread and butter pitches were and had not really looked at his past performances in depth. How many ticks can he realistically put on his heater? 2-3? If he can do that and spot his fastball then what are the chances for him to be a starter in your opinion (Provided he gets into a steady conditioning program)?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
Remember...this is a guy who everyone thought still had some work to do on his approach at the plate. There's risk associated with pushing him up too rapidly.

The organization is seeing something though. They don't rush a lot of people coming back from injury.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
NSS72, thanx for the great update. I didn´t know what his bread and butter pitches were and had not really looked at his past performances in depth. How many ticks can he realistically put on his heater? 2-3? If he can do that and spot his fastball then what are the chances for him to be a starter in your opinion (Provided he gets into a steady conditioning program)?

Well, he was a starter in college, but he's been exclusively a reliever in the minors. He's a big strong guy, and the scouting report on him is that he really hadn't been on any significant conditioning program. So adding a bit of speed would seem possible. He'd need to do that before he'd be considered as a starter (because if he's at 89-90 as a reliever, that likely goes down as a starter), or as a closer, at the major league level. I can tell you that given his success so far, if his FB was 92 instead of 89-90, and he was able to maintain the same control and breaking stuff, I think you have at least a decent major league middle reliever on your hands. And for an NDFA pickup, that's a big win as it is.

Well, he was a starter in college, but he's been exclusively a reliever in the minors. He's a big strong guy, and the scouting report on him is that he really hadn't been on any significant conditioning program. So adding a bit of speed would seem possible. He'd need to do that before he'd be considered as a starter (because if he's at 89-90 as a reliever, that likely goes down as a starter), or as a closer, at the major league level. I can tell you that given his success so far, if his FB was 92 instead of 89-90, and he was able to maintain the same control and breaking stuff, I think you have at least a decent major league middle reliever on your hands. And for an NDFA pickup, that's a big win as it is.

Gotcha, but you would think this would be an absolute must as part of his rehab now. As much as I love for the farm to turn our more relievers I would really like to see if he could be a project for starter. Has Coop even mentioned him yet with the sucess he has had on the lower minors?

Edited by SpainSOXfan09