Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
The problem is they could be doing this stuff on the buses and trains right now, but don't. I can't tell you how many times in 12 years I have been stuck on a train, where not even the people running the train have any idea what is going on.

They do, I used it all the time in the city. Bus Tracker shows next buses and times for any given station and direction, and its surprising how good it is. For trains, they are just now piloting that same sort of system.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Despite not living there, I've definitely gotten the impression that the Chicago Public Transit system is one in need of serious funding/upgrades.

This, and what DA said, are both correct. I find it funny that people think this is entirely a problem of CTA being bad at planning, or entirely a problem of lack of money to fix the infrastructure. Its clearly both.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Nice trolling article here; http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/scocca/ar...spx#add-comment

Yes our blizzard out East last year was worse than yours strictly in terms of total snowfall. Everything else he tries to say is idiotic.

I don't get the driving stuff. Does he not remember that I90 was shut down in Buffalo this year after similar snow fall? I also seem to recall tons of cars and buses stuck in New York in their storms.

He is right that east coast precipitation is worse, but I would rather snow over the brutal cold and wind which is less common here.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Nice trolling article here; http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/scocca/ar...spx#add-comment

Yes our blizzard out East last year was worse than yours strictly in terms of total snowfall. Everything else he tries to say is idiotic.

Americans don't know what its like to be tall like chinese people do. You know why? because yao ming is alot taller than brad miller

Don't steal this guy's shovel.

Steal Snow Shovel — Get Snow Blower Revenge

Posted by Amy Sue Andrews on February 7th, 2011

(a.) Lady steals man's snow shovel. (b.) Man buries her car with snowblower.

Chicago resident David Welles is the wrong guy to steal a snow shovel from.

With a blizzard full of snow in his front yard, it seemed like a good time to get out the old snow shovel and build an igloo for his two year-old little girl, Mayson. After playing in the snow a while and getting the igloo half-built, he left the shovel on his front porch, ready to finish the igloo project the next day.

When he and Mayson went to get it the next day, the shovel was gone. During the third biggest blizzard in Chicago history, someone had stolen Welles’ snow shovel.

Discovering the identity of the thief wasn’t too hard for Welles, he owns Tunnel Vision Technology, a security company. Naturally, he had security cameras watching his yard, so he played back the previous night’s activities and found the thief.

It was a neighbor woman out walking her dog. She let the dog poop in Welles’ yard, then, rather than pick it up, she opened the front gate and went up to the porch and stole Welles’ shovel.

She dug her car out, and then decided to keep the shovel.

He did not know her, but he is a nice guy and said he would have gladly loaned her the shovel.

So instead he got out his new snow blower and buried her car in so much snow it took her four hours to get it out.

“I got a little, I guess, passive-aggressive,” Welles said. “I got a new snowblower, so I was kind of excited to bury her car.”

“It felt good, I’m not going to lie to you,” Welles said.

Welles’ security cameras got the whole thing, which is posted here:

LOL. I did something similar to my parents' neighbor once. They had cleared the area in front of their garage one night after a large snowfall and dumped everything in front of my parents' garage. I showed up at 2am and moved everything back in front of their garage.

• 3 weeks later...