Remaining Free Agents

knightni

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
I also don't understand why you are still arguing this when Cantu has already signed with the Padres.

because if you look it was like 3 in the morn or later and i just got back from the bar when i posted, and seeing that post dude made where he was puking at the thought of adding cantu i thought was a lil uncalled for, ive always been a cantu fan probably cause all i see is what hes done with the stick

^ what he said

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
because if you look it was like 3 in the morn or later and i just got back from the bar when i posted, and seeing that post dude made where he was puking at the thought of adding cantu i thought was a lil uncalled for, ive always been a cantu fan probably cause all i see is what hes done with the stick

^ what he said

But he really hasn't done a lot offensively. He's hit for power, but if you took as many hard swings as he does, you'd be hardpressed not to hit for power. RBI is totally dependent on a player's spot in the lineup and those that are hitting in front of him, so it really means nothing in the long term. He doesn't walk a lot, and he doesn't really do anything else exciting offensively. There's a reason he's never had an OPS much higher than .800, and that's because he's really not that good.

For a team like San Diego where that would present a potential upgrade or a great player off the bench, then absolutely it makes sense. The White Sox currently have 4 players - Morel, Teahen Vizquel, and Viciedo - than can man 3B. They have 4 - Konerko, Dunn, Teahen, and Viciedo - that can play 1B as well. Those are the only two positions you even want to consider playing Cantu, and the Sox have plenty of depth at both of them.

No, I don't think Jorge Cantu is underrated. He put up an OPS of under .700 last year, and his career OPS is like .766. That's really not that impressive.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
That has nothing to do with vomiting and killing animals. ie. Overreaction.

Forgive me if you took that post literally. But I'm not a fan of adding bad baseball players to my favorite baseball team. Nothing personal against Cantu. I'd feel the same if somebody suggested players like Jeff Francouer, Yuniesky Betancourt, or Jason Kendall.