*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
haha right? i really do love when people say that home workouts are bulls***. I had my brother (who was talking s***) try Core Synergistics from P90X and he died halfway through. Would love to see him attempt Insanity. lol

Your brother "died" and you think its funny? ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha right? i really do love when people say that home workouts are bulls***. I had my brother (who was talking s***) try Core Synergistics from P90X and he died halfway through. Would love to see him attempt Insanity. lol

The warning at the beginning is absolutely correct, if you aren't in shape, it could very easily be dangerous. The people he has work out behind him are in absolutely phenomenal condition, and even they have to take breathers throughout the program - what did round, out of shape me think was going to happen when I tried it?

I did it for two weeks. In those two weeks, I almost vomited after 4 workouts and had to cut 2 others short because my body simply couldn't handle it. One of those days is the opening fitness test, and two of them were stretch days (those are the easy days, and even those still kick your ass a bit...I did not almost vomit afterwards or cut those short).

Edited by witesoxfan

This Kashi cereal (the one with 13g of protein, I'm such a bro for buying this) tastes like...nothing. I tend to think lots of cereals taste like nothing, but this one changes my outlook forever. Bring on the Splenda and fruits.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
This Kashi cereal (the one with 13g of protein, I'm such a bro for buying this) tastes like...nothing. I tend to think lots of cereals taste like nothing, but this one changes my outlook forever. Bring on the Splenda and fruits.

Cereal sucks. I make overnight oats.

150g greek yogurt

scoop protein powder (double chocolate)

one packet strawberries & cream oatmeal

frozen strawberries

splash of almond milk

That's part of the food I prepare for work the next day, and by the am the berries have defrosted (adding more liquid to the group) and you mix it all up and it's delicious. Awesome stats, too.

Steel cut oats = $$$$$$$$

But yeah, I of course like oats and have them often, I just like to have various healthy options around. I've found that the food I buy has a huge impact on what/how I eat. If I have bad food around, I end up trying to "work it in." If I don't have any food around, I end up going out and picking up snacks. I'm trying to make sure I can go to my pantry and see no reason to go pick something up out of boredom, but still be abstaining from tricky junk foods.

I might have to try to work in chia somehow...just never seemed appetizing to me.

I love steel cut oats, but they take too long to make, but IMO they do taste the best. That said, they have the same nutritional content as any other oatmeal...so the regular 5 minute oats work fine for me. I prefer the texture of steel cut > regular 5 minute > instant...but I'll also eat whatever is available.

Also, Reddy, dump the brown sugar and use honey. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
I love steel cut oats, but they take too long to make, but IMO they do taste the best. That said, they have the same nutritional content as any other oatmeal...so the regular 5 minute oats work fine for me. I prefer the texture of steel cut > regular 5 minute > instant...but I'll also eat whatever is available.

Also, Reddy, dump the brown sugar and use honey. ;)

this is true, i should use raw honey. now THAT is $$$$.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
haha truth.

good luck dude. it still scares the crap out of me, even though i'm in 30x the shape i was a year ago. I did Asylum, but that was only 30 days.

I'm listening to the "go at your own pace" thing. Still sweating like crazy.

I just need to get back to school so I can be on a schedule.

There is one particular workout in P90X2 that is pretty balls to the wall...I believe it is called Base + Back...it's a combination of plyo and pullups...pretty brutal...probably the toughest P90X workout I have done thus far.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
this is true, i should use raw honey. now THAT is $$$$.

The most important thing to look for in regards to Honey is that it's made in the USA, different countries have different rules as to what constitutes "honey", the US's is the most restrictive, not to mention the safest.

Raw honey shouldn't be much more expensive than any other honey, the problem is going to a place that doesn't purposefully overprice it. There are a lot of local honey producers, so you can find it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
The most important thing to look for in regards to Honey is that it's made in the USA, different countries have different rules as to what constitutes "honey", the US's is the most restrictive, not to mention the safest.

Raw honey shouldn't be much more expensive than any other honey, the problem is going to a place that doesn't purposefully overprice it. There are a lot of local honey producers, so you can find it.

Interesting that we have those rules, we're usually really lax. I think back to champagne, which only in 2006 did the USA finally protect that term to only apply to the French-made ones. Of course, they let all domestic "champagne" producers be grandfathered in.

So after 22 years of having a gym membership I'm thinking of finally getting rid of it since I rarely have time to go.

Started looking into some home exercise solutions as an alternative and have very limited space to work with. So far I'm thinking of getting a set of the bowflex all-in-one dumbell sets, an adjustable/portable bench, and a treadmill.

Is there a pullup/dip combo bar available out there? What else am I missing? At this age, I just like to stay toned.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
So after 22 years of having a gym membership I'm thinking of finally getting rid of it since I rarely have time to go.

Started looking into some home exercise solutions as an alternative and have very limited space to work with. So far I'm thinking of getting a set of the bowflex all-in-one dumbell sets, an adjustable/portable bench, and a treadmill.

Is there a pullup/dip combo bar available out there? What else am I missing? At this age, I just like to stay toned.

Does that "Perfect pullup" thing do dips?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Does that "Perfect pullup" thing do dips?

No clue. I'll see if google can help.

EDIT: Doesn't seem like it.

I did stumble on this item. I think I may be able to squeeze this into the space I'll be using.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

Get the Powerblock dumbbells.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Thanks for the head's up. Any particular set of theirs you'd recommend? And are they relatively easy to adjust?

I got a set off of Craigslist about two years ago...I think I paid $150 or so.

Depends on how much you generally lift. I have the classic series 50 + set, which basically allows you to lift between 5 and 50 pounds per hand and is expandable to 90 pounds I believe.

They are very well-made, very durable, and are quickly adjustable if you are doing a fast-paced workout.

I highly recommend.

Edited by iamshack

Powerblocks have fewer moving parts, and a life time warranty. They also can be expanded to add weight and they have a barbell you can get for them. I think the U-90 is the way to go. Stage 1 goes from 5-50 lbs. and can be expanded to 90 or 125 lbs. They are pretty quick to adjust in increments of 10, if you want to change by 5, 15, etc. it takes a bit longer.

Edited by Leonard Zelig