*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet-rich_plasma

I had a Platelet Rich Plasma injection into my infraspinatus today as well as into another site on my right shoulder. Surprisingly, pretty painful. Pleasantly, I got a Lortab prescription. Unfortunately, no working out for at least six weeks :( Come at me, fatness

Im thinking thats my next step for my knees. Either that or open me up.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
I have muscles that I didn't know I had that are sore.

If you want to truly feel muscles you didn't know you had, jump in a pool and swim for few miles.

It will make anything else you do look like playtime in comparison.

IMO, there is no better/harder workout than swimming, especially when you take into account it's zero impact.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
If you want to truly feel muscles you didn't know you had, jump in a pool and swim for few miles.

It will make anything else you do look like playtime in comparison.

IMO, there is no better/harder workout than swimming, especially when you take into account it's zero impact.

truth.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm 6'1/185 lbs. My goal is to be lean and muscular. Brad Pitt from Fight Club. :D

I'm a bike messenger. I average about 50 miles a day of varying efforts. I'd guess about 15 of those miles are a hard effort (20-22 MPH) and the rest are modest effort (14-16) MPH. As I've aged, I've gotten soft on top while my legs are really muscular. I'm like the opposite of your typical dude that works out. I've always eaten generally well, but I've recently started to work out too. I started doing the standard P90X routine, but the cardio days were wearing me out. Now, I don't do plyometrics and Ken Po. They just kill my effort on the bike. I've been doing the Chest/Shoulders/Tri work out on Monday and Friday, the Back/Biceps on Wednesday, Stretch X on Tuesday and Thursday (flexibility to improve cycling is one of my goals) and Yoga on Saturday. Every other week, I do the Back/Bicep twice and the Chest/Shoulder/Tri once.

I was eating low fat, high carbs and moderate protein. I didn't think I was gaining enough muscle, so recently I've switched to something like this: On the days I "weight train," (M,W,F) my diet is typically: 60G whey protein shake after morning workout (8AM), Cliff bar (11AM), modest portioned lunch of left overs from the night before. I usually try to do 40/40/20 protein, carb, fat (2PM), Cliff bar (5PM), Dinner (8PM) is usually whole wheat pasta, chicken breast, veggies, or chicken tacos, corn tortillas, rice, guac, black beans with another 60G protein shake. On the days I only stretch, I stick to a similar diet, except the protein shakes are much smaller (20G). On Sundays, I rest and eat what I want, but I eat fairly well. I don't count my calories. I know I need to, but it's hard to tell how many I need due to the biking. My cycling fitness level is high, so I burn fewer calories, I think.

Is my diet ideal for what I'm trying to achieve? Too much protein? Any suggestions? I know it's tough to judge without knowing the calories or my metabolism. If it helps, I've always been the type of guy that will get fat if I don't exercise or eat fairly well.

Edited by TaylorStSox

I had a minor procedure on my shoulder and and was forbidden to do any physical activity for 8 weeks. Couple that with narcotic painkillers and...yuck.

Then I get cleared to do some things and it turns out I have some wicked dental problems (from being hit in the face by a baseball 5 years ago :|) ... so no working out and narcotic painkillers. Eat, sit, repeat

My physique I worked so hard for...gonzo

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
I'm 6'1/185 lbs. My goal is to be lean and muscular. Brad Pitt from Fight Club. :D

I'm a bike messenger. I average about 50 miles a day of varying efforts. I'd guess about 15 of those miles are a hard effort (20-22 MPH) and the rest are modest effort (14-16) MPH. As I've aged, I've gotten soft on top while my legs are really muscular. I'm like the opposite of your typical dude that works out. I've always eaten generally well, but I've recently started to work out too. I started doing the standard P90X routine, but the cardio days were wearing me out. Now, I don't do plyometrics and Ken Po. They just kill my effort on the bike. I've been doing the Chest/Shoulders/Tri work out on Monday and Friday, the Back/Biceps on Wednesday, Stretch X on Tuesday and Thursday (flexibility to improve cycling is one of my goals) and Yoga on Saturday. Every other week, I do the Back/Bicep twice and the Chest/Shoulder/Tri once.

I was eating low fat, high carbs and moderate protein. I didn't think I was gaining enough muscle, so recently I've switched to something like this: On the days I "weight train," (M,W,F) my diet is typically: 60G whey protein shake after morning workout (8AM), Cliff bar (11AM), modest portioned lunch of left overs from the night before. I usually try to do 40/40/20 protein, carb, fat (2PM), Cliff bar (5PM), Dinner (8PM) is usually whole wheat pasta, chicken breast, veggies, or chicken tacos, corn tortillas, rice, guac, black beans with another 60G protein shake. On the days I only stretch, I stick to a similar diet, except the protein shakes are much smaller (20G). On Sundays, I rest and eat what I want, but I eat fairly well. I don't count my calories. I know I need to, but it's hard to tell how many I need due to the biking. My cycling fitness level is high, so I burn fewer calories, I think.

Is my diet ideal for what I'm trying to achieve? Too much protein? Any suggestions? I know it's tough to judge without knowing the calories or my metabolism. If it helps, I've always been the type of guy that will get fat if I don't exercise or eat fairly well.

On the days you don't lift I'd lower the carb intake and not the protein intake. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)

It's hard to say...I'd need to know more about you, your body style, metabolism, etc...

I don't have to take any kind of protein supplements and I can add muscle mass without trying very hard. Others cannot do this without supplementing...and others can't do it even if they do supplement. Genetics mean a LOT when it comes to body style/look. For example, that Brad Pitt look you mentioned, I could never achieve it...no matter what i do. So first, understand your body style so you know what kind of build you can achieve...then go after that. You can do a lot of things in a gym, but you cannot change your bodytype.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)

1) how old are you?

2) your body can really only process about 30g of protein at any given time, the rest just gets peed out... so the 60g protein shakes are a bit of a waste to be honest.

I'm 34.

I'd say I have an athletic build (broad shoulders, thin waist (32), longish torso) However, my body stores fat easier than it builds muscle. I've usually stuck to a low fat/high carb diet in the past. It's hard for me to cut carbs and not feel wasted half way through my day on the bike.

I've read that about protein intake before (30 g at a time). So, would I be better off doing a 1 scoop protein shake (30ish g) and replacing the Cliff bar with a bar higher in protein a few hours later?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I'm 34.

I'd say I have an athletic build (broad shoulders, thin waist (32), longish torso) However, my body stores fat easier than it builds muscle. I've usually stuck to a low fat/high carb diet in the past. It's hard for me to cut carbs and not feel wasted half way through my day on the bike.

I've read that about protein intake before (30 g at a time). So, would I be better off doing a 1 scoop protein shake (30ish g) and replacing the Cliff bar with a bar higher in protein a few hours later?

It would be better to lower the amount you take and just take it a few times a day, instead of packing that much all at once.

Also, for your body type/style, you need to use a carb /\ protein ramp.

Morning = High Carb, Low Protein

Afternoon = Mid Card, Mid Protein

Evening = Low Carb, High Protein

The evening one is going to be hard for you...especially if you like beer. ;) But, with your body style...that's the reality of it. Low fat won't do much if for you if you're eating a ton of carbohydrates, unless you're running 10 miles a day, that is.

And don't worry so much about protein shakes, your body style can probably get away with minimal supplementation if you eat properly. Items such as lean meat and eggs pack so much protein you don't need to supplement much if you eat them a few time a day.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Also, for your body type/style, you need to use a carb /\ protein ramp.

Morning = High Carb, Low Protein

Afternoon = Mid Card, Mid Protein

Evening = Low Carb, High Protein

for whom is this NOT the case? out of curiosity

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I'm 34.

It's more like 20g at a time for protein for what your body can really use. Might I recommend Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein (double chocolate is the best). For 120 calories, you get 23g of protein and minimal saturated fat. One of those shakes following a good pump session is ideal, then follow it up with healthy protein rich foods (greek yogurt :wub: :wub: ). Being a vegetarian, I lean on whey protein a lot (and cheese, and protein replacements like chik'n, veggie burgers, etc). The above-described protein is the best I've found.

I've really been adding muscle lately and trimming the little fat that remained. I haven't had any alcohol since 12/7 (I think that's the longest I've gone since I turned 21 - I'm 29 now). It's amazing how quickly the bloat and fat trims off... my goal is to finally see some abdominal muscle at some point soon. It takes a lot of discipline - but also gives me a reason not to pork up over the holidays right before our trip to Cancun.