Miggy Cabrera DUI

LittleHurt05

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update

Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera told police to shoot him during his arrest on suspicion of drunk driving on Feb. 16 in Florida, The Detroit News reported in Wednesday.

Cabrera was told by deputies to drop to his knees so they could handcuff him, the newspaper reported.

He said, "[expletive] shoot me. Kill me," according to the police report.

Cabrera continued: "Do you know who I am? I'm Miguel Cabrera. I play for the Detroit Tigers. You don't know my family."

The Florida state attorney's office released a 41-page report, a police video and 911 audio in Cabrera's case on Wednesday. He was arrested on charges of suspicion of driving under the influence and two counts of resisting an officer without violence. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges, which are misdemeanors.

About a half an hour before Cabrera's disabled 2005 black Land Rover was spotted by police, the manager of a bar in Fort Pierce, Fla., had had an altercation with the Tigers slugger, the police report said.

Cabrera reportedly walked into Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co. as it was closing and was asked to leave, the report said.

Cabrera ignored management's request, the report said. When he was asked to leave again Cabrera said: "You don't know me. I will kill you. I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up."

Another witness at the bar, an off-duty wildlife officer, said he was also threatened by Cabrera.

Cabrera said "he had a gun in his bag for us," the officer said.

The police reports do not indicate Cabrera had a gun.

Cabrera had since apologized for the incident. He is dealing with alcohol-related issues by following a plan devised by the baseball commissioner's office and the players' union.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
With that being said, maybe baseball isn't where he needs to be right now.

Honestly it seems like the baseball field is the only place where he is at ease. It seems like everything off of the field is where he has problems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
Honestly it seems like the baseball field is the only place where he is at ease. It seems like everything off of the field is where he has problems.

I agree. I think taking baseball away from him is probably a mistake. Better to get him help and have him still play.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I agree. I think taking baseball away from him is probably a mistake. Better to get him help and have him still play.

Not saying which side is right or wrong, but there is a theory that would say he either needs the consequence of having baseball taken away from him or he needs to step away from it for a short time to focus on his problems. Again, problems like this are so complicated and different plans have worked for all sorts of different people.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Not saying which side is right or wrong, but there is a theory that would say he either needs the consequence of having baseball taken away from him or he needs to step away from it for a short time to focus on his problems. Again, problems like this are so complicated and different plans have worked for all sorts of different people.

Understood. Its a tough call here. Part of me wants him penalized for acting like an idiot and putting people in danger, but part of me also sees that he's got an assortment of problems and needs good help.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
I'd have to agree that baseball is most likely what is best for him. When you are having problems the way that he seems to be, having a ton of free time is the absolute worst possible thing.

People who are receiving a ton of counseling, including some sort of rehab, aren't going to have a lot of free time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
People who are receiving a ton of counseling, including some sort of rehab, aren't going to have a lot of free time.

I'd bet that baseball allows him to take his mind off it for a little while where as those things don't. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I'd bet that baseball allows him to take his mind off it for a little while where as those things don't. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

again, not saying which is right or wrong and what works for individuals, but sometimes it helps people with these problems NOT to take their mind off their problems, it works for some people to be away at treatment for a short time and give 100% to recovery

I just love the stuff that MLB players can get away with including breaking the law and no penalty is assessed on th field. But take some ripped fuel, and BAM, suspension.

Is there any other pro sport where your off the field behavior means nothing to your status on the field?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
I just love the stuff that MLB players can get away with including breaking the law and no penalty is assessed on th field. But take some ripped fuel, and BAM, suspension.

Is there any other pro sport where your off the field behavior means nothing to your status on the field?

Actually, when it comes to HOF induction, only Baseball has a character clause.