Crede to retire

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
If you'll remember though...there was a period at the end of 2006 when the White Sox's medical advice to Crede was to go for back surgery, while Boras's team's advice was rehab. Joe tried the rehab and wound up having the surgery before the end of 2007, costing him most of that season. Listening to Boras's doctors might not have killed his career, but there was another reason why the Sox fans were mad at him.

I had a back problem about 15 years ago and one doctor I saw told me no matter what, don't let anyone ever operate on your back. In retrospect, Boras' advise wasn't incorrect as far as Crede's playing career. He was doomed either way.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I always kind of assumed Crede was a good guy. I remember when the Sox were thinking about extending him and he wouldn't fire Boras like a few other Sox players did, people were giving him s*** about it. It makes sense though - not because of the debilitating back injury, which we couldn't know was coming - but because the guy wanted to be financially secure for the rest of his life, and he had the best agent in baseball to get him what he needed. I actually commend that.

I agree with you. While we will never know for sure, I think that if Credes back never goes out and he becomes a perenial all star, he probably would not of been long for the White Sox. I doubt that the Sox would of even come close to Boras's demands.

I have owned two actual official jerseys in my life as a Sox fan. One was Fisk, the other is Crede. He was just so much fun to watch playing 3B. Really sucks to see a career end because of injury.

Best of luck, Joe!

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
He should of been WS MVP IMO.

Yes he should have. And really, he probably would have, if not for a bad call on a home run (that was called a base hit) in Houston during the WS.

Sorry to hear that, but the writing's been on the wall for a few years now. At least he won't further damage his back while playing with his kids.

It's tough to see a good player/good man's career cut short, but he did get a ring and a special place in the hearts of Sox fans.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never forget his homer against Cleveland down the stretch, his incredible play throughout the entire 2005 ALCS, and being at Game 1 and watching the amazing plays he made at 3rd (along with hitting a home run) that night. It was too bad he never got a huge contract like he would've inevitably gotten if he stayed healthy, hopefully he had a decent insurance policy...good luck Joe

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Farley: Hey Joe, y-you remember that t-time when y-you hit that home run? Against Cleveland?

Joe: Yeah

Farley: That was awesome

Also the game in which Uribe made an un-real throw to 1st to stop a run from scoring on an infield hit, and the game where AJ stomped on Boone rounding 3d.