Crede to retire

The Ginger Kid

This probably deserves its own thread (if true)

Per Scot Gregor:

Word is former White Sox third baseman Joe Crede has officially retired due to chronic back problems. Crede was invited to the Rockies’ camp this spring, but he is not going to report. …

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011021.../#ixzz1EWpOa2wJ

One of my favorite clutch players of all time.

I luuvv Joe Crede.

Realistically, I'm not sure he ever lived up to all the hype, but for approximately full one season--late 2005 to mid 2006--he was one of the best all around 3rd basemen in the game. Could have been WS co-MVP. All the best, Joe.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Its too bad. Crede appeared to have figured it out in 2006. Then in September he gets hurt, and really never was the same. Coming into Sept. 2006 he had 28 homers 86 rbi hitting .300 and GG like at 3B. He's supposed to be a real good guy as well.

I always kind of assumed Crede was a good guy. I remember when the Sox were thinking about extending him and he wouldn't fire Boras like a few other Sox players did, people were giving him s*** about it. It makes sense though - not because of the debilitating back injury, which we couldn't know was coming - but because the guy wanted to be financially secure for the rest of his life, and he had the best agent in baseball to get him what he needed. I actually commend that.

Even though it ends prematurely, he did have a hell of a career. World Series hero, idolized in Chicago, a Silver Slugger, an All-Star appearance, and several game-winning hits. And it's better to go out like this then to try to make a comeback and hurt his back even more. I imagine at this point the pain is tolerable...if he tried to gut it out a few more years, it might become excruciating. And I'm sure he has a wife and kids too, so this gives him the ability to watch them grow up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I always kind of assumed Crede was a good guy. I remember when the Sox were thinking about extending him and he wouldn't fire Boras like a few other Sox players did, people were giving him s*** about it. It makes sense though - not because of the debilitating back injury, which we couldn't know was coming - but because the guy wanted to be financially secure for the rest of his life, and he had the best agent in baseball to get him what he needed. I actually commend that.

If you'll remember though...there was a period at the end of 2006 when the White Sox's medical advice to Crede was to go for back surgery, while Boras's team's advice was rehab. Joe tried the rehab and wound up having the surgery before the end of 2007, costing him most of that season. Listening to Boras's doctors might not have killed his career, but there was another reason why the Sox fans were mad at him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
I agree. Watching him and Uribe gobble up everything in site that series was a thing of beauty. But the writing has been on the wall for a while. I wish Joe well.

He was clearly the MVP of the 2005 postseason overall and easily could have gotten the nod in the WS, but JD had a great series as well. Sad to see Joe hang em up so early in his career.