2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
I feel like I should post this late at night so I can't claim sobriety, but is the MLB "Batter Man" logo a silhouette of the back of a righty, or a silhouette of the front of a lefty. One of life's great mysteries..

I've read that it's supposedly Harmon Killebrew.

Link

Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Jon Garland left Wednesday's Cactus League game with two outs in the top of the second inning because of a left-oblique injury. There was no immediate diagnosis, but Garland said he would meet with a team doctor either later in the day or early Thursday morning.

Garland said no actual tests have been scheduled, but that, "I'm sure they are going to want to do that."

Garland, whom the Dodgers signed in November to a one-year, $5 million contract with an $8 million club option for 2012 to be their fifth starter, was making just his second start of the spring. After throwing the first pitch to Seattle Mariners shortstop Josh Wilson, his 30th pitch of the game, Garland knelt down on the front of the mound, stood back up and immediately made a gesture toward the dugout to summon trainer Stan Conte.

Orioles 1b Derek Lee underwent an MRI today after a previous wrist injury flared up. They're already talking like they don't expect him to be ready to start the season.

It probably won't. Lee underwent an MRI late Wednesday afternoon that confirmed the cause of the wrist soreness that flared up just as he was returning to normal baseball activities after months of rehabbing his surgically repaired right thumb. Orioles orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens examined him Tuesday and attributed the soreness to rehab-related tendinitis, but ordered the MRI just to be sure.

Still, even though there is no structural damage to Lee's wrist, the timetable for his Grapefruit League debut will remain uncertain while he waits for the inflammation to subside, which is why Showalter admitted that he already had begun preparing for the possibility of an Opening Night without him. Scott is doing the same.

"You have to be ready for whatever,'' said Scott. "I don't know yet what's going to happen. What will we have in three weeks? That's still quite a bit of time. As for me, I'll prepare the best I can for whatever I have to do."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
So he never really got healthy from last year. That's too bad for Lee.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
Utley out for a while.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/...hi&c_id=phi

Lucky for them they've got that staff. Their offense ain't lookin' so hot.

Two of my favorite players, yeesh.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Yeah, I'm a big Lee fan. That 2-run double off of Prior in game 6 is forever etched into my memory. Had to hate him while he was a Cub. But the love returned when he was traded to the Braves.

I've just always had a ton of respect for Lee, Cubs or no Cubs. And Utley has been one of my favorite non White Sox players since he came into the league.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Utley out for a while.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/...hi&c_id=phi

Lucky for them they've got that staff. Their offense ain't lookin' so hot.

I doubt he plays 100 games this year, that knee is gonna bother him the whole season.

I think I underestimated how old the Phillies are. Their only regulars under the age of 30 are Hamels & the RF position w/ Brown or Francisco (who is 29). Even their whole bullpen is basically 30 & over.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
I doubt he plays 100 games this year, that knee is gonna bother him the whole season.

I think I underestimated how old the Phillies are. Their only regulars under the age of 30 are Hamels & the RF position w/ Brown or Francisco (who is 29). Even their whole bullpen is basically 30 & over.

Yup, and all their key guys appear to be in decline. But again, a rotation like that can mask a lot of weaknesses.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Yup, and all their key guys appear to be in decline. But again, a rotation like that can mask a lot of weaknesses.

For sure. Other than Hamels, their rotation is just old too, but guys that have yet to decline and have always been very durable inning-eaters. ***knocks on wood***

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Brian McCann hit Luis Salazar in the face with a foul ball. He has been airlifted to the hospital.

Does anybody else find it insulting that the headline for this topic on MLB.com is:

"McCann shaken, but relieved Salazar will be OK"?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 05:47 AM)
Oakland A's Andrew Bailey has left his ST with a pain/discomfort in his elbow.. will constult dr. Andruws..

:-/

He already had TJ surgery back in 2005 and just saw Dr. Andrews in September to clean out the elbow.