2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Does anybody else find it insulting that the headline for this topic on MLB.com is:

"McCann shaken, but relieved Salazar will be OK"?

Salazar lost his left eye. Very sad. And I feel sorry for McCann too. Obviously not intentional, but he'll live with that.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Metropolitans to release Oliver Perez.

Between Perez and Luis Castillo, who was released last week, that's about $18 million in bad contracts they've just given up on.

I guess the Phillies have signed Castillo. A desperate move like that makes you think that the Utley injury is pretty serious.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
I guess the Phillies have signed Castillo. A desperate move like that makes you think that the Utley injury is pretty serious.

Desperate? They get him at league min for the year, if he can play at replacement level that's a pretty damn good pickup.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Desperate? They get him at league min for the year, if he can play at replacement level that's a pretty damn good pickup.

I guess you are right. He just has sucked pretty bad recently, so it's not a move I expect a WS contender to make.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I guess you are right. He just has sucked pretty bad recently, so it's not a move I expect a WS contender to make.

If Beckham went down, it would be expected that the Sox would go after a Castillo type target, especially since we have no depth behind Beckham unless you really want Teahen starting there (and I don't even consider Lillibridge an option).

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
I wonder if Perez would accept a minor league deal...

He's the kind of pitcher that Cooper can work with.

He was left handed starter version of Mike MacDougal. Now he throws 85 and still can't throw a strike.

Edited by Dick Allen

I want nothing to do with Oliver Perez. Besides that, if he signs a minor league contract, and goes down to the minor leagues, he doesn't get to work with Cooper. And if he's on the major league roster working with Cooper, well then that's a huge waste of a roster spot.

I let Oliver Perez do whatever he wants to, but I am not going to sign him to pitch anywhere in my organization unless I am totally deprived of pitching talent AND do not have a good team. There's no need for a good team to try and mess around with Oliver Perez at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
I want nothing to do with Oliver Perez. Besides that, if he signs a minor league contract, and goes down to the minor leagues, he doesn't get to work with Cooper. And if he's on the major league roster working with Cooper, well then that's a huge waste of a roster spot.

I let Oliver Perez do whatever he wants to, but I am not going to sign him to pitch anywhere in my organization unless I am totally deprived of pitching talent AND do not have a good team. There's no need for a good team to try and mess around with Oliver Perez at this point.

lol. I like how you added the 'AND' do not have a good team. I was about to ask if you were crazy. Our pitching depth is thinner than an Olsen twin.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
lol. I like how you added the 'AND' do not have a good team. I was about to ask if you were crazy. Our pitching depth is thinner than an Olsen twin.

Yes it is and that's why I threw the caveat in there. But there's no way in hell I'm taking on Oliver Perez right now. He can't help the major league team in his current state, and having him pitch in the minors allows you one fewer young player to throw (not that they'd be any good, just that you need them to throw if you're ever going to find out). He seems like a 2 year project, and that doesn't seem to be economically viable.

The Mariners are going to end up taking 6 NRI's with the major league club. They all have major league experience and what have you, but that just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

For those keeping track - Adam Moore, Adam Kennedy, Chris Ray, Jamey Wright, Royce Ring, and Ryan Langerhans.

This was a team that quite a few people predicted would win their division last year and even more people thought they were turning their team around rather quickly. It's been a year and they seem to be so thin on major league talent that they are taking 6 NRIs north. I don't care who you are, that's bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
The Mariners are going to end up taking 6 NRI's with the major league club. They all have major league experience and what have you, but that just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

For those keeping track - Adam Moore, Adam Kennedy, Chris Ray, Jamey Wright, Royce Ring, and Ryan Langerhans.

This was a team that quite a few people predicted would win their division last year and even more people thought they were turning their team around rather quickly. It's been a year and they seem to be so thin on major league talent that they are taking 6 NRIs north. I don't care who you are, that's bad.

Adam Moore's on their 40 man roster.

But yeah, Royce Ring is bad...