2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
That's not necessarily true. Obviously the Yankees would try and get maximum value out of Montero if they were to trade him. However, most publications now list Sanchez as their top prospect. Granted, he is only in Low-A so he has a ways to go, but Romine is also highly regarded and he is much closer. So let's say the Yankees are unable to field any better offers involving Montero and become somewhat desperate around the trade deadline to acquire a SP to bolster their rotation. For whatever the reason may be, we are offering Danks. I just don't think such a proposal is ridiculous. Danks would not be a half year rental as they'd have him next year as well and who knows what their rotation will look like in a month. Burnett is unreliable, Hughes is still working out whatever was wrong with him not in the majors, Colon who knows now and Freddy is a back end starter. That's all I was trying to get at, is that there is a very conceivable scenario where they would part with Montero and it not necessarily be beacuse his stock is plummeting.

The key to all of this is Tampa. If they could somehow push the Yankees to 3rd place, you could very well see the Yankees "overpay" to get another top half pitcher or even two.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
The key to all of this is Tampa. If they could somehow push the Yankees to 3rd place, you could very well see the Yankees "overpay" to get another top half pitcher or even two.

Does Tampa still need LH hitting DH's? I think we have one available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Let me say it another way then...if his stock hasn't plummeted, then the Yankees would need to be willing to get much less value for him now than only a few months ago despite thinking that he's an excellent catcher candidate.

I don't see both of those being true.

Is Danks really "much less value" than Greinke though? They've been known to overpay before. And it is a position of strength for them at the moment as well - he's not their only future catcher, and scouts are in love with Sanchez. Especially if Tampa makes a move and Colon and Hughes don't come back I could see them biting.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
Is Danks really "much less value" than Greinke though? They've been known to overpay before. And it is a position of strength for them at the moment as well - he's not their only future catcher, and scouts are in love with Sanchez. Especially if Tampa makes a move and Colon and Hughes don't come back I could see them biting.

Before this season, Danks was quite a bit less value than Greinke. The only argument that Greinke wasn't much more valuable than Danks is that Greinke might have struggled to pitch in NYC. Based on their performance the last 2 years, Greinke was a much, much better pitcher than Danks.

Then...Danks started the season 0-8. Yea, he put together 3 solid outings to break that streak. Then...he got hurt for the first time in his career. Danks's value has dropped at least somewhat since the start of this season. It hasn't plummeted, but I'd have paid a bunch more for Danks in March than I'd pay for him right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)

If they are set to overpay, I would be tempted to give them Humber...on the gamble that what we're seeing from him now is merely an aberration. That, and the fact that his tank is going to run empty in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
If they are set to overpay, I would be tempted to give them Humber...on the gamble that what we're seeing from him now is merely an aberration. That, and the fact that his tank is going to run empty in the 2nd half.

MLBTR's "expert" thought that Jackson is the one we're putting on the market.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)

I'm sure we'd jump at moving Jackson if the return was good enough, but I'd say that about any of our pitchers. They're all available for the right price.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)

With the reality that Peavy is all but untradable, Jackson doesn't surprise me at all. If we go into a full sell off, Danks has to be #1.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
With the reality that Peavy is all but untradable, Jackson doesn't surprise me at all. If we go into a full sell off, Danks has to be #1.

Unless Detroit or Cleveland suddenly hits a 10 game winning streak, or the Sox hit a 15 game skid where they go 2-13, we're not going to do a full selloff. It's too late in the season and we're still in the race.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless Detroit or Cleveland suddenly hits a 10 game winning streak, or the Sox hit a 15 game skid where they go 2-13, we're not going to do a full selloff. It's too late in the season and we're still in the race.

We have a whole other month to make claims like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
We have a whole other month to make claims like that.

If we're anywhere close to hovering, KW will be a buyer and not a seller, you know that.

It will take a major change in the standings to make us sellers. Do you see Detroit/Cleveland putting out a 20-5 run this month or the Sox going 5-20?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
If we're anywhere close to hovering, KW will be a buyer and not a seller, you know that.

It will take a major change in the standings to make us sellers. Do you see Detroit/Cleveland putting out a 20-5 run this month or the Sox going 5-20?

No chance at being a buyer this year. With attendance being so s***ty with a record payroll, there isn't any money for it. honestly those factors make it more likely that a sell off could happen, even if we are "close". The logic being that this team wasn't going to win it anything anyway, which is sure what most of Soxtalk believes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
No chance at being a buyer this year. With attendance being so s***ty with a record payroll, there isn't any money for it. honestly those factors make it more likely that a sell off could happen, even if we are "close". The logic being that this team wasn't going to win it anything anyway, which is sure what most of Soxtalk believes.

Let me just say...I'll be absolutely stunned if KW becomes a seller barring a horrendous month of baseball from the Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)

Nope. And that's what scares me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)

I could see us doing what we did last year, have a real s***ty start to the second half, like a 7-14 run. At that point, bye bye White Sox baseball players. Sell.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
JPN, please change your sig. Be a pal. I get sick to my stomach every time I see it.

Sorry, can't do it. Gio made too good an impression on me personally to ever not support him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
The Sox could be on an 8 game winning streak if they had any semblance of a consistent offense that can get runners in from third with less than two outs on a regular basis.

*Sigh.

Prior to today they were hitting about .180 with RISP over the last 15 games.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Dunn batting third today and will remain doing so vs RHP.

Whaaaaaatttttt????? Dunn doesn't belong batting third even if he's hitting his career norms. I'm sorry, but you just don't bat a .250-.260 hitter third just because he has power. When Dunn is right he's the kind of guy you want batting fifth to give your cleanup hitter, Paulie, some good protection.