Milledge DFA

justBLAZE

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Juan Pierre played 160 games last year. Ozzie's going to put him out there almost every day. If you can buy an extra day off for Pierre by putting him at DH for a day or two, you absolutely do it.

I really don't think playing DH is "buying an extra day off" especially when you get 3 hits and run around the bases, make steal attempts and w/e else Pierre does that is part of his running game.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
What good is having talent if you can't transfer it to the field. I really don't get the what the big to do is about keeping either Milledge or Lillibridge. If the Sox season hinges on either of those 2 , then it's going to be a long year anyway.

Oh God, I hate this argument. When you're in tight races every year, and you usually lose the division by just a few games, every single personnel move is important. It's the same as when people say "it's just one game in April." They all matter.

Johnny Damon's ball yesterday was the same that Lastings misplayed as well as the same type of play Fuld messed up yesterday. IF it was misplayed itis a 3-2 and the pen is coming in.

There is nothing Milledge could do better than Lillibridge.

I thought Milledge could play the outfield he can not. Therefore he has no role on any team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
And Mark Kotsay was just one guy on the roster last year.

We heard that constantly. He's just one player. How much can Mark Kotsay really hurt this team? Turns out, a lot.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Indeed. I expected him to provide a pretty solid bat off the bench. Whereas with Lillibridge I don't.

And now we have zero RH power off of the bench, as Ozzie won't take his back-up catcher out of the equation by pinch-hitting him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
Johnny Damon's ball yesterday was the same that Lastings misplayed as well as the same type of play Fuld messed up yesterday. IF it was misplayed itis a 3-2 and the pen is coming in.

There is nothing Milledge could do better than Lillibridge.

I thought Milledge could play the outfield he can not. Therefore he has no role on any team.

Sir, if you honestly believe that Milledge can't hit better than Lillibridge (especially for power, and especially against LHP), then I'd get suspended for calling you what I think of your opinion.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
And now we have zero RH power off of the bench, as Ozzie won't take his back-up catcher out of the equation by pinch-hitting him.

What guy in our lineup would we actually pinch hit for using a RH power bat? We have 3 lefties, Pierre, Dunn, and Pierzynski. You're not going to want a RH power bat to pinch hit for Dunn anyway. Pierzynski, you're not PHing for because he's the catcher, unless the game is out of hand. And Pierre...let's just face it, Ozzie's not PHing for him with anyone in a close game, and I'm not sure he should anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
What guy in our lineup would we actually pinch hit for using a RH power bat? We have 3 lefties, Pierre, Dunn, and Pierzynski. You're not going to want a RH power bat to pinch hit for Dunn anyway. Pierzynski, you're not PHing for because he's the catcher, unless the game is out of hand. And Pierre...let's just face it, Ozzie's not PHing for him with anyone in a close game, and I'm not sure he should anyway.

You can't envision a scenario where an elite Loogy is on the mound late in the game and we need a good RH bat off the bench to hit for AJ or Pierre?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
You can't envision a scenario where an elite Loogy is on the mound late in the game and we need a good RH bat off the bench to hit for AJ or Pierre?

If you're PHing for AJ, then use Castro.

If you're PHing for Pierre....well, why are you PHing for Pierre? He hits righties at .298 in his career and lefties at .305. Last year he hit .268 against righties and .297 against lefties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

Definitely for Pierre. AJ too, especially with how bad I expect him to be this year. Or for any particular player who may be hitting poorly at the time.

I don't understand the infatuation with Lillibridge. He has speed, but so does Vizquel and even Milledge. They may not be as fast, but they are both quick. And I don't buy that Lillibridge is a better fielder than Milledge based on two games. Milledge has seasons of being a statistically good fielder (as posted earlier in this thread). I'm not tossing those aside so quickly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
If you're PHing for AJ, then use Castro.

If you're PHing for Pierre....well, why are you PHing for Pierre? He hits righties at .298 in his career and lefties at .305. Last year he hit .268 against righties and .297 against lefties.

Because sometimes you need more than a roller between 1B and 2B, or a bloop just over the head of the SS.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
And Mark Kotsay was just one guy on the roster last year.

The difference was that Ozzie played Kotsay nearly every freaking day in the middle of the lineup. Lilli or Milli are just the last guy on the bench, who might get 5 ABs a week, maybe one pinch running appearance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
Because sometimes you need more than a roller between 1B and 2B, or a bloop just over the head of the SS.

And you're expecting Lastings Milledge and his career 1 HR every 50 at bats to be the difference there?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
And you're expecting Lastings Milledge and his career 1 HR every 50 at bats to be the difference there?

After two seconds of research, it was easy to see that you only looked at total numbers. I'm talking about how he performs against lefties, and he hits them very well.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
After two seconds of research, it was easy to see that you only looked at total numbers. I'm talking about how he performs against lefties, and he hits them very well.

Except for in what was his only full season, 2008, where he put up a .757 OPS against righties and a .671 OPS against lefties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Except for in what was his only full season, 2008, where he put up a .757 OPS against righties and a .671 OPS against lefties.

He wouldn't be a full time player this year. He'd be a situational DH/PH. He seems to hit better with limited playing time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
He wouldn't be a full time player this year. He'd be a situational DH/PH. He seems to hit better with limited playing time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)

When has that ever happened? Everytime he has been in the majors, he has basically been an everyday player.

No matter what you want to argue, the guy has great numbers against lefties and he has power. He also has a track record of playing the outfield at least adequately. According to B-R, Brent Lillibridge has appeared in the outfield in a total of 44 games in his career. Yet, we're all so certain that Brent is the better outfielder.

Lillibridge is faster than Milledge, period.

EDIT: Sorry, I screwed up the number of games for Lillibridge.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Spring training in Glendale. 2011

He played in 19 of a possible 31 games (Not even excluding split squad days) and averaged over 3 AB's per game. Thats not exactly limited playing time, especially compared to how he would be used during the regular season.