Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Duke said was reprehensible. I figure it was some sort of joke. Good luck to you, Hickory. If this furlough lasts too long and you guys need food or anything I'd be willing to contribute to a Soxtalk fund. I think Duke was trolling or kidding. Furloughs bite when families are living check to check. Not saying you are doing that but kids are expensive to raise.

Yes, kids are expensive to raise and we are living paycheck to paycheck because we've chosen to live near the best elementary school in the area and sending our youngest child to the best preschool in the area, plus my wife is now taking classes full-time instead of part-time. Also, we've chosen to put all of our extra income into my retirement account instead of something more liquid due to the employe match.

My next paycheck would normally come on 10/12. Our only option to cover for the loss of income is to withdraw from my retirement account, which incurs a penalty of 10% of the withdrawal plus a loss of the employer's match to my retirement contributions for 6 months. Aside from the money I'd be taking out it would be an additional hit of about $3000. It takes about 10 days to get the money so I pretty much have to decide by tomorrow whether or not to do this. The fees from simply paying all my bills late would probably be less than the $3K, but then there's the hit to the credit rating. We've already had to 'furlough' the babysitter, because we can't afford her plus I'm home now anyway.

Would be a nice gesture if Congress would at least waive the penalties for dipping into our retirement accounts.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Like you can keep your health coverage if you want it, it won't cost any more, etc.? yeah.

It's entirely true for me.

And I really wish I could drop mine and get into a fully government-run plan.

Damn just reading this thread is depressing. I'm sorry but these tea party f***ers need to go. They are trying to circumvent the process that is in place instead of doing s*** the right way.

They need to compromise at this point and concentrate on winning elections. This s*** will make everyone hate them and rightfully so. My blood is boiling thinking about what I'd do to them in a closed room right now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Yes, SB, it must be because you are nice and I'm a dick to these people. That's the only explanation. Perhaps my error was calling them dumbasses before explaining what I need. I'll stop doing that from now on.

I'm not sure what division and courtrooms you work in, but the Daley center is FILLED with workers as dumb as posts who could give a s*** about their job or helping people out. Yes, there are a few diamonds in the rough over there, but as a whole, it sucks dealing with those people. I'm not talking about judges clerks (though they're not all perfect either), i'm talking about the actual peons working in the various clerk offices - the 8th floor, the archive room, anything underground. They're the people that do work that a computer can do but because they're public employees and part of the union the county/city have to continue to pay them to be data entry clerks. It's a similar issue with people over at City Hall.

And no doubt they have to deal with s***ty people and that probably puts them in a bad mood sometimes. But bad moods are temporary. Being an idiot is not.

Also i'm glad you completely ignored what I said (referring to the bolded). Almost word for word I admitted that in my post.

Ive been going to the Daley Center since 2003 and know most of the clerks on 6-8 by name (not judges clerks, the people who you pay to file cases etc) The supervisor on 6th floor (Mike) knows me by name. Back when global filing began I used to file all my cases on 12th floor (probate) and knew Melissa and Kiran very well. I can remember the first day Melissa began working there, ha.

So one day Im standing there when some attorney comes in and just starts berating Melissa. She starts crying because this lady is just going off on her. Eventually the lady leaves. A few days later when Im there Melissa asked me to speak with her supervisor because of the complaint. Basically the supervisor etc were going to suspend her for nothing. I had to explain that some crazy ass b**** just went off on her for nothing. The other attorney was kind of a big deal so it was a huge complaint because the attorney flat out lied about what happened and said that Melissa refused to help her because her client was Jewish.

And the peon Kiran, well he used to be an engineer in India and paid for his children to go to some pretty amazing US schools. He gave up a lot to give his children a better chance in this country and its pretty sickening the way many attorneys would treat him.

I guess maybe they arent as stupid as you think and they can tell your disdain?

Lets be honest, working with people isnt something everyone is good at.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
It's entirely true for me.

And I really wish I could drop mine and get into a fully government-run plan.

Not true for me, unfortunately. I have an individual plan with BCBS. My premium is going from $90/month to $306/month in January. I'm trying to look into the exchanges, but healthcare.gov is totally overloaded with traffic and non-operational.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Ive been going to the Daley Center since 2003 and know most of the clerks on 6-8 by name (not judges clerks, the people who you pay to file cases etc) The supervisor on 6th floor (Mike) knows me by name. Back when global filing began I used to file all my cases on 12th floor (probate) and knew Melissa and Kiran very well. I can remember the first day Melissa began working there, ha.

So one day Im standing there when some attorney comes in and just starts berating Melissa. She starts crying because this lady is just going off on her. Eventually the lady leaves. A few days later when Im there Melissa asked me to speak with her supervisor because of the complaint. Basically the supervisor etc were going to suspend her for nothing. I had to explain that some crazy ass b**** just went off on her for nothing. The other attorney was kind of a big deal so it was a huge complaint because the attorney flat out lied about what happened and said that Melissa refused to help her because her client was Jewish.

And the peon Kiran, well he used to be an engineer in India and paid for his children to go to some pretty amazing US schools. He gave up a lot to give his children a better chance in this country and its pretty sickening the way many attorneys would treat him.

What a horrible story. A big deal attorney flat out lying about something racist like that. That attorney should be punished. What's somebody like Melissa to do in a situation like that if you don't speak up? That attorney should go straight to hell. WTF is WRONG WITH PEOPLE???? Were they raised by animals?

There is right and wrong in this world and people in power so often s*** on people. Makes me sick.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Not true for me, unfortunately. I have an individual plan with BCBS. My premium is going from $90/month to $306/month in January. I'm trying to look into the exchanges, but healthcare.gov is totally overloaded with traffic and non-operational.

You're an ideal exchange person.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)

I'm sure if you break it down everyone has an excuse. We had a billing clerk that would write checks to herself and stole a bunch of money from our firm. When she was caught she explained that she was just doing it to feed her kid. She was a good person, right?

Everyone in my office and most of the other attorneys I work with at other firms have this conversation about the Daley center frequently. We were the clerks/young attorneys tasked with filing before being able to work as real attorneys. I'm clearly the biggest asshole in the city and treat people accordingly, but not everyone I know in the business is, so i'm confident that your experience there is a rarity.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
I'm sure if you break it down everyone has an excuse. We had a billing clerk that would write checks to herself and stole a bunch of money from our firm. When she was caught she explained that she was just doing it to feed her kid. She was a good person, right?

Everyone in my office and most of the other attorneys I work with at other firms have this conversation about the Daley center frequently. We were the clerks/young attorneys tasked with filing before being able to work as real attorneys. I'm clearly the biggest asshole in the city and treat people accordingly, but not everyone I know in the business is, so i'm confident that your experience there is a rarity.

So you are comparing someone stealing to someone dumb? Which is it, youre argument is all over the place. On one hand you say they are dumb peons, then you are comparing them to someone who is breaking the law?? Since when is being dumb a crime?

As for the bolded, many attorneys are idiots and its insulting that Im in the same group as people who are so stupid. Even if the clerks are the dumbest worst people in the world, it seriously helps your client/firm to make them like you. The fact that many attorneys can not even grasp this simple concept shows how dumb of a profession it is.

Id bet that your firm is located in the suburbs, probably Dupage if I had to guess.

(edit)

And this really isnt against you, I dont know you, you could be the nicest person in the world (well probably not as nice as me, but Im kind of ridiculous j/k j/k), but it just annoys me when people make these grand sweeping statements about public employees.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
So you are comparing someone stealing to someone dumb? Which is it, youre argument is all over the place. On one hand you say they are dumb peons, then you are comparing them to someone who is breaking the law?? Since when is being dumb a crime?

As for the bolded, many attorneys are idiots and its insulting that Im in the same group as people who are so stupid. Even if the clerks are the dumbest worst people in the world, it seriously helps your client/firm to make them like you. The fact that many attorneys can not even grasp this simple concept shows how dumb of a profession it is.

Id bet that your firm is located in the suburbs, probably Dupage if I had to guess.

(edit)

And this really isnt against you, I dont know you, you could be the nicest person in the world (well probably not as nice as me, but Im kind of ridiculous j/k j/k), but it just annoys me when people make these grand sweeping statements about public employees.

I'm saying you can make a sad excuse for anyone to act a certain way, that doesn't make their bad work any better. If your engineer guy still sucks at his job and is mean to people and/or doesn't care about doing what he's doing, he's a bad employee, regardless of his back story.

I don't get why you'd jump to attorneys are assholes and therefore created the idiots working in the building. I'm not from Dupage, I work downtown and I've been in the Daley center 3-4 days a week for 5 years. This isn't me complaining about the DMV having dealt with a DMV once every 10 years. This is my opinion from going to that file room twice a day for a year or two, and probably a few times a month since then.

And my experience with people at the Daley center is the same as going to the assessor's office or the treasurer's office or anywhere where the person i'm dealing with could give a crap about me because they don't need my business.

Im not making excuses.

Im asking why you and I have extremely different experiences?

Ive been going to the Daley Center since March 2004, and while I have had some frustrating days, most of the clerks have been great and generally go out of their way to be helpful.

I mean sure Judge White's clerk and I have gotten into a few disagreements about holding cases, but at the end of the day when I actually really needed something she went out of her way to help.

Im not saying attorneys created idiots. Im saying that many attorneys have a way about them that causes other people to react negatively.

Right now I'm watching a group of people, comprised mostly of men, wagering huge sums of money. You can't believe a word they say and most of the time they're bluffing. But at 9:30, I'm turning off C-SPAN to watch some poker.

You know Duke, you can just go f*** yourself right up the ass. I'm getting my furlough letter in about 30 minutes and my family of four is going to be without its sole source of income. I didn't do anything to you or anybody else to deserve this. If you think that there are too many government employees that's fine, but if you think suddenly cutting off the income of a million employees who haven't done anything wrong is fine, then you are a disgusting person.

This going to be blunt and you probably aren't going to like it.

I dont care about what happens to government workers because of this. I've never had a positive experience with a civilian government employee. They are all totally and utterly worthless, both in the work they're expected to do but also in the small fraction of that expectation that they actually accomplish. Usually this doesn't bother me, I'm not a big stickler for service. I stay polite, finish my business and vow never to return. But I have no choice but to pay for the salaries of government employees. I'm forced to chip into your wages at the barrell of a gun. So yea, f*** you too. You and your incompetent nepotist pals got unceremoniously fired just like so many of the rest of us have. Sucks doesn't it? But you've all been getting fat raises and nice union settlements on the back of our money for so long you should have something in the tank.

Working for the government is an oxymoron. It is more like welfare. Taxpayer money goes in, a bunch of nothing happens, and a few million people get paychecks. I hate it, anything that dents it makes me f***ing jubiliant.

The great part about this is this shutdown is pretty much permanent as long as long the Republicans control something. We've gone down the rabbit hole, the threshold has been crossed and lines in the sand drawn. There will be no compromising, slowly (like what happened with the military) some things will come back, but for many programs and employees this is the end. We haven't killed the monster yet, but almost accidentally the heroic House Republicans in an attempt to be the worst politicians ever inadvertently did this country a lot of good.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)

I dont care about what happens to government workers because of this. I've never had a positive experience with a civilian government employee. They are all totally and utterly worthless, both in the work they're expected to do but also in the small fraction of that expectation that they actually accomplish. Usually this doesn't bother me, I'm not a big stickler for service. I stay polite, finish my business and vow never to return. But I have no choice but to pay for the salaries of government employees. I'm forced to chip into your wages at the barrell of a gun. So yea, f*** you too. You and your incompetent nepotist pals got unceremoniously fired just like so many of the rest of us have. Sucks doesn't it? But you've all been getting fat raises and nice union settlements on the back of our money for so long you should have something in the tank.

Working for the government is an oxymoron. It is more like welfare. Taxpayer money goes in, a bunch of nothing happens, and a few million people get paychecks. I hate it, anything that dents it makes me f***ing jubiliant.

The great part about this is this shutdown is pretty much permanent as long as long the Republicans control something. We've gone down the rabbit hole, the threshold has been crossed and lines in the sand drawn. There will be no compromising, slowly (like what happened with the military) some things will come back, but for many programs and employees this is the end. We haven't killed the monster yet, but almost accidentally the heroic House Republicans in an attempt to be the worst politicians ever inadvertently did this country a lot of good.

Please go move to a deserted island you anti-American milksop.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)

but think about it. maybe you should get a government job. hear me out.

you could (in theory) be a jackass to everyone all day, get paid a ton of money to do it, and can't get fired. this could actually be a dream job for you.

Edited by mr_genius

but think about it. maybe you should get a government job. hear me out.

you could (in theory) be a jackass to everyone all day, get paid a ton of money to do it, and can't get fired. this could actually be a dream job for you.

I honestly prefer drinking a 12 pack of Sunkist, shifting gears and thinking about how much I hate the government all day.

I want to make this clear that I'm not joking: f*** YOU!!! I actually wish bad things would happen to you.

I put the over/under on the shutdown at 2 weeks. Would you take the over or under on this bet?

I would take the under, because October 8 is the last day the shutdown can end without everybody missing a paycheck. I think Congress knows that's the tipping point for their re-election hopes.

I want to make this clear that I'm not joking: f*** YOU!!! I actually wish bad things would happen to you.

I don't wish bad things would happen to you. I mean other than what just happened, I was rooting for that one. Don't take it personally.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)

Don't worry about him. He's just a pathetic loser who lives in his mom's basement.