Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Every scientist in the country hates you.

The number of scientists trying to find jobs overseas is remarkable.

that's weird. i just saw an Obama speech where he said we had an extreme scientist shortage and needed to bring in scientists from overseas to fill the the millions of open scientist jobs. i don't even know what to believe any more.

Edited by mr_genius

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
that's weird. i just saw an Obama speech where he said we had an extreme scientist shortage and needed to bring in scientists from overseas to fill the the millions of open scientist jobs. i don't even know what to believe any more.

My guess is there is a gulf between theoretical scientists that are working on pure research and scientists that are trying to create a new and improved mouthwash or a kitty litter that will handle three cats.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
My guess is there is a gulf between theoretical scientists that are working on pure research and scientists that are trying to create a new and improved mouthwash or a kitty litter that will handle three cats.

Balta, which kind of scientist are you?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)

He's absolutely right.

Which is why we should stop screwing around with science funding, because this season is a terrible thing for science.

I didn't apply for overseas jobs until this year. I am now. I want a us job but the us doesn't want scientists. And that's not sarcastic, the us is behaving like a country that wants its scientists to leave.

And the rest of the world is smart enough to jump on that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

Where do the people who work for industry get their education?

Oil companies aren't stupid enough to hire from these scam for profit colleges, they raid the state schools as much as possible.

Oh, and NASA is scheduled to launch a $500 million Mars mission in November but 97% of NASA employees won't come in tomorrow, so if this goes on for a couple weeks we might lose that entire mission because work preparing for the launch is unfunded. Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
He's absolutely right.

Which is why we should stop screwing around with science funding, because this season is a terrible thing for science.

I didn't apply for overseas jobs until this year. I am now. I want a us job but the us doesn't want scientists. And that's not sarcastic, the us is behaving like a country that wants its scientists to leave.

And the rest of the world is smart enough to jump on that.

Why is there like a million foreign scientists begging for a visa to work in the US if the country hates scientists?

The USA has by far the best higher education system (now, that does not include cost, where we are pretty much the worst). This is a tremendous asset as pretty much everyone in the world knows that we are the place to go to learn just about anything from STEM and beyond. We get the greatest minds in our backyard; many may not plan to stay, but when you're educated here you would normally find work opportunities here vs uncertain prospects abroad.

Now the prospects abroad remain uncertain, but there are no prospects here

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Why is there like a million foreign scientists begging for a visa to work in the US if the country hates scientists?

Why do millions of Americans beg for visas to the United States when supposedly there arent any jobs in the US?

When you treat science and research like s***, you are going to wake up in a future where the US is not the first country to walk on Mars.

Shortsighted stupidity, but whatever.

Well see who blinks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
Why do millions of Americans beg for visas to the United States when supposedly there arent any jobs in the US?

Soxbadger, turns out Americans don't need a visa to work in United States.

Congress still gets paid if the government shuts down? That is stupid. They should get nothing.

At least the worthless public employees get cut off.

Do people understand that the National Parks will still exist? Like they aren't going to turn Mt Rainier into a strip mall.

At least the worthless public employees get cut off.

Do people understand that the National Parks will still exist? Like they aren't going to turn Mt Rainier into a strip mall.

You know Duke, you can just go f*** yourself right up the ass. I'm getting my furlough letter in about 30 minutes and my family of four is going to be without its sole source of income. I didn't do anything to you or anybody else to deserve this. If you think that there are too many government employees that's fine, but if you think suddenly cutting off the income of a million employees who haven't done anything wrong is fine, then you are a disgusting person.

China and India are going to breeze past the US.

We're making it FAR FAR too easy.

Sad to watch from abroad...where the actual rubber is hitting the road (and dams/railways/subways/skyscrapers, massive construction and infrastructure projects from China to India and stretching into Africa).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Indonesia's 240 million start to catch up soon, either.

So it will be BRICS with the I "squared" for India and Indonesia.

And the worst part of it is the senselessness and preventability of this whole thing. It's like we refuse to act until there's a REAL crisis and keep punting the ball (and crossbars) down the road to some future "point of no return" line.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 06:34 AM)
You know Duke, you can just go f*** yourself right up the ass. I'm getting my furlough letter in about 30 minutes and my family of four is going to be without its sole source of income. I didn't do anything to you or anybody else to deserve this. If you think that there are too many government employees that's fine, but if you think suddenly cutting off the income of a million employees who haven't done anything wrong is fine, then you are a disgusting person.

^

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)

I'll be the first to say we need to do something to lessen the American economic dependency on government, but this is not the way. This is just silly grandstanding.

Worth mentioning that it is a near certainty that if we did a simple vote on a CR that left spending unchanged in both houses, it would pass fairly easily.

You can look no further than the strange powers granted the Speaker and the silent filibustering powers in the Senate as what is to blame for this.