White Sox vs. Oakland A's

justBLAZE

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Plus, is Thornton really struggling? 2 of his blown saves the defense gave the opponent four or more outs.

Yes, the swings people are getting against him are better ones than we're used to seeing against him.

Thorton is certainly struggling...He gave up a 3 run jack to a guy with the lowest average in the american league on Friday night, and hung an 0-2 pitch for a leadoff double before the Pierre error Monday. Not to mention he was all over the place today with his location and gave up a handfull of solid hits...he hasn't looked comfortable in one outting this year.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
So wait. What leads you to believe he can get hitters out starting if he can't pitching the 9th inning?

The guy was throwing 97-98 today and they were hitting him, even w/shadows across the plate. Made me think that some of this is just plain bad luck as well.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
Relax people, Thornton actually looked good, despite the outcome.

And no, it wasn't bad managing. It almost worked, and if it had, you'd all be praising how awesome the managing was. Stuff it.

Moronic post ... Chris Sale should have not been available tonight. Ozzie not only puts him in, but also tells his supposed closer he has no confidence in him. This is 100% on Ozzie ... fire him now

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
That's it. That's really all the Sox can do.

By the way, in the old days today would have been a complete game easy win, as would

Mark's the other day.

It's simply absurd this pitch count crap.

Eight innings of greatness, then you have to take the guy out lest you ruin his arm.

Utter crap.

Guillen sees himself as such a maverick, why not put an end to this pitch count crap and let the pitchers finish their games.

And he needs to stop with this ridiculous use of 3 relievers to get the last 9 outs regardless of game conditions.

This guy has no real feel for the game.

Stop manipulating the flow of the game, Ozzie.

They'll be times to use the pen - not every game.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
Moronic post ... Chris Sale should have not been available tonight. Ozzie not only puts him in, but also tells his supposed closer he has no confidence in him. This is 100% on Ozzie ... fire him now

That is unnecessary.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
the following are the things that stupify me about todays game (i know i am being redundant with some of them, but this is irritating me that much)

if you come out publicly and say Thornton is your closer, then thornton is your closer

If not, and sale is your closer, then ok. But if sale is your closer and you bring him in winning by 3, then he is your f***ign closer and you leave him in there with a men on 1st and 2nd and 0 out up by 2.

If you then decide that Sale isn't your closer because he gave up 3 straight hits, and Jesse crain is going to be your closer, and you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded an 0 outs, then you allow crain to pitch with bases loaded and 1 out.

More than all that though, if you aren't smart enough as a manager to realize that 3-4 tough games for a reliever (2 of which your LF dropped easy fly balls that would have won the game), isn't nearly as indicative of a guys potential as pitcher as his stellar previous 3 years (and 200 innings) of work, then you aren't smart enough to be a manager in major league baseball

this is exactly why I will rejoice the day Guillen is no longer managing this team

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I guess, but it sure would have been nice and maybe even set a tone for the season

to have Mark and Danks simply finish the ninth. There's something to be said about nice,

clean baseball victories in April. But no, their arms would fall off so you

can't let a guy finish a game.

Some organization has to have the guts to change the culture.

Let pitchers finish what they start.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
jesse crain has been an average pitcher throughout his career. hes had a year or two where hes been slightly better than average, and a year or two where hes been slightly worse. He is what he is...a 7th inning guy. Nothing more

All I know is Santos looked like a closer last night.

but you know he'll get overused

Rock, I swear that this post that I'm going to do isn't retarted.

All I needed to see was the highlight to Thorton's pitch versus Cliff Pennington. 2 outs, top of the ninth, bases loaded, WS still up 4-2.

The catcher (forgive me, I was at work when all this crap happened so I don't know who's catching back there but the "game lowlights" are on the WS Vid Site http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...rss_cws)....the catcher wanted the pitch LOW and inside, so that if Pennington tried to swing at it, it would jam him.

Instead, the pitch was high, outer half, elbow high. Pennington got enough to get enough.

Location, location, location. Thornton clearly is struggling. I haven't seen the other game lowlights, but that's really all I need to see.

Now what?

Is Sale ready? Is Santos?? Is there a Plan C?????? Just asking not sarcastically this time.

Some good news observations from the game highlights:

*Nice swing by Gordon Beckham on an absolutely nasty breaking ball from Anderson. That pitch started eye-high and just DROPPED by the time the ball got to the plate, but Gordo with a great golf-like swing to punch it in the outfield. It also helped that Josh Willingham ran a wrong route to the ball in order to help Juan Pierre to score from first.

*Kevin Kuzmanoff was our Juan Pierre in the A's infield - bad choices of defense in the 6th when Ramon Castro was at the plate, Kooz should have thrown to first but attempted to throw the pitch to home to attempt to get Carlos Quentin out, but it didn't work; and a bobble/throwing error in one motion to help get another run in.

*John Danks = STUD. Ozzie should have learned from last night, should have said "screw the pitch count, I'm riding you Fifty all the way." Just my opinion.

I had no problem pulling Danks today with well over 100 pitches and a 3 run lead.

Buehrle at 99 pitches, and a 1-0 lead...that was a mistake, despite what some radio postgame host might tell you.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Plus, is Thornton really struggling? 2 of his blown saves the defense gave the opponent four or more outs.

Yes, today he sucked.

You could have hit him, or at least been confident stepping in against him.

He was trash today. So much I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has the dreaded dead arm or some kind of injury.

Thorton has gotten hit hard as well. Granted two should have been saves but when they hit line drives all over the place hes not being effective. Still early. Perfect show of white sox baseball. When one thing goes good another goes worse and costs the game. Wonder when the first offensive slump comes