AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

letsgoarow

My heart is still pounding. I was at the game, sitting in the upper deck just to the left of home plate. Both balls hit to Lillibridge were absolutely slicing away from him, and there is no doubt that both of them for a few moments seemed like they were going to be game-winners for the Yanks. But no! Not one but two amazing catches by Lillibridge to save the day. Talk about a stunned crowd exiting the Stadium tonight. Mercy!

:gosox1:

Edited by Thad Bosley

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
I recall that we had a series in NY in 2005 where an outfielder on the Sox completely stole the show. Eh? Eh?

He also had a batting stance where he crouched down but held the bat straight up. Also, funny looking goatees.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
There's no way in the world Oz could have left Matt in to face A Rod.

Matt looks like just another body this year, not at all like the Matt of old.

He'll be fine. He's gone through these stretches before. Now that the bullpen has stabilized a bit, I suspect he'll have a chance to get a few low-leverage opportunities and get some of his confidence back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:19 AM)
He'll be fine. He's gone through these stretches before. Now that the bullpen has stabilized a bit, I suspect he'll have a chance to get a few low-leverage opportunities and get some of his confidence back.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but if Lilly doesn't bring the leather, we're all despondent about our closer situation right now.

To you folks who called Lillibridge (sp) worthless ... he proved tonight he's not worthless. He single-handedly saved that game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 01:36 AM)
To you folks who called Lillibridge (sp) worthless ... he proved tonight he's not worthless. He single-handedly saved that game.

and to you folks who said we would get swept or lose 3/4 (greg im talking to you) its time to man up and bow down to lillibridge

FanGraphs did a little bit last year for (I think) a Chris Young start where he went 6 shutout innings but Will Venable made two ridiculous plays that saved about 3-4 runs total. They suggested, only half seriously, that some sort of WPA needs to be devised to indicate defensive prowess as well.

On that note, after Teixeira walked, the Yankees win expectancy was 36.1%. Since Santos retired the next two batters, he was awarded .361 WPA to his total. You may as well count that towards Lillibridge's number for the year because if Quentin or really anybody else is in RF for those two plays, the Sox lose this game.

That was extremely clutch defense. Those two plays were pretty much the equivalent of hitting a game winning 2 run homer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 03:25 AM)
That was extremely clutch defense. Those two plays were pretty much the equivalent of hitting a game winning 2 run homer.

Lillibridge could do that too.. im about to order my BL18 jersey, but I don't know if I want the black one or the home whites

Even if we lost I'd still be happy with the job Santos did, as Fathom said A Rod and Cano are two of the best in the world. I really wish Ozzie would move Thornton back into his old role so we can get our setup guy back. This whole experiment with him closing has really cost us bigtime as now I fear he's becoming a bit of a mental case.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:30 AM)
Even if we lost I'd still be happy with the job Santos did, as Fathom said A Rod and Cano are two of the best in the world. I really wish Ozzie would move Thornton back into his old role so we can get our setup guy back. This whole experiment with him closing has really cost us bigtime as now I fear he's becoming a bit of a mental case.

Thornton was setting up. You don't want Santos facing Granderson, and Teixeira is ever so slightly more likely to end the game against Santos than he is Thornton (not that he couldn't park one against either...18 PA/HR as a lefty, 22 PA/HR as a righty). Some of it may be command, but there is also a reason Thornton didn't give Teixeira anything good to hit. Then Ozzie played it by the book and had Santos face ARod (though it's never mattered to ARod what hand a pitcher throws with), and left him in to get Cano when if he really wanted to micromanage he could have had Sale up and ready to go to face Cano.

Santos is the closer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:38 AM)
Thornton was setting up. You don't want Santos facing Granderson, and Teixeira is ever so slightly more likely to end the game against Santos than he is Thornton (not that he couldn't park one against either...18 PA/HR as a lefty, 22 PA/HR as a righty). Some of it may be command, but there is also a reason Thornton didn't give Teixeira anything good to hit. Then Ozzie played it by the book and had Santos face ARod (though it's never mattered to ARod what hand a pitcher throws with), and left him in to get Cano when if he really wanted to micromanage he could have had Sale up and ready to go to face Cano.

Santos is the closer.

Understood I am just saying that it would be nice to get our BP set back up again where we're not scrambling around trying to piece everything together, leaving the starter in when it's probably pushing it because we don't trust the pen, bringing in 3 guys to close the door in the 9th etc.

I realize Santos is the closer now and that is well defined. But if this is 2010 we start and end the inning with Bobby in there no matter what the matchups are, and it would be nice to have things in order again to where we have Matt in his most comfortable role which has been the 7-8th in my opinion.

Edited by JohnCangelosi

I had no problem with Floyd starting the 9th. He'd only allowed 3 hits up to that point and only 1 that stayed in the stadium. He was in absolute cruise control and the Yankees really had no chance. It was getting a runner on, especially one that can still steal a base in Jeter, that pushed it over the edge. You can't let Jeter steal and then have Granderson up with a runner on 2nd and nobody out - you can't walk him to set up the DP, and he is great against righties.

I think Ozzie managed his pen last night perfectly. Hopefully the Sox win by 8 today.