Hey Look - Today is a NEW DAY!!!!

Andrew

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
The Twins have pulled the plug on Casilla as the everyday SS and were THIS close to pulling Liriano and Blackburn from the starting rotation before we faced them..

Just think...we've made them give both of those pitchers 3, maybe 4 more starts before they get pulled from the rotation for struggling. What a brilliant sabotage plan!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
The worst case scenario here isn't that the team will lose a bunch more games - because that would cause action. Nor is it that the team gets red hot, because its still early enough that such a run could put them right back in it.

The worst case scenario is that the team gets a little better. Better enough that no changes are made, but not better enough to get competitive again.

What exactly is the rumor? Ryno to manage the Sox?

its not even a rumor, its an idiot texting

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terrible-670...104348709649000

The Sox should have an Opening Day ceremony tomorrow night in their clubhouse. Pretend it's opening day. Forget what's happened the last 5 weeks. Just go back to the opening day lineup. Beckham in the 2-hole. Morel batting 9th. The whole bit. Shoot for 36-25 the rest of the first half and get over .500 heading into the break. If it works, great. If it doesn't, break up the team the last 3 weeks of July.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
The Sox should have an Opening Day ceremony tomorrow night in their clubhouse. Pretend it's opening day. Forget what's happened the last 5 weeks. Just go back to the opening day lineup. Beckham in the 2-hole. Morel batting 9th. The whole bit. Shoot for 36-25 the rest of the first half and get over .500 heading into the break. If it works, great. If it doesn't, break up the team the last 3 weeks of July.

I remember Opening Day. The lineup was amazing.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
Exactly. We've officially hit the bottom; can't get any worse than "worst." More or less what I was getting at.

I'm just hoping the SP is still hanging in there if/when this team finally decides to start hitting.

If they follow the normal M.O. of this team, the starting pitching will not be doing well by the time the hitters wake up. They never seem to click all at once, and usually one aspect seems to be faltering at a high rate while the others are doing well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
And somehow not a single step has been taken to address the teams woes. No player has been sent down and no one on the coaching staff has been let go. Unbelievable.

Don't worry, they'll sacrifice Morel. It's always the young guys that guy the blame on this team. It certainly won't be a veteran traded or a coach fired.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Have you officially given up? I know you're probably the biggest optimist on the board and it'd really say something if you truly expect them to be selling off parts by Memorial Day.

Its not optimism, it is realism. We have a record payroll and we can't afford it to have it with a bad team. Kenny can't afford to wait until the last minute to sell. Unless something crazy happens in the next few weeks, the days with this team are numbered. It isn't that I don't think they could, or would, turn it around, it is that they aren't going to absorb the financial hit from this. They aren't going to chance taking a bath on these guys, period.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Its not optimism, it is realism. We have a record payroll and we can't afford it to have it with a bad team. Kenny can't afford to wait until the last minute to sell. Unless something crazy happens in the next few weeks, the days with this team are numbered. It isn't that I don't think they could, or would, turn it around, it is that they aren't going to absorb the financial hit from this. They aren't going to chance taking a bath on these guys, period.

I agree. I've been saying since at least the second week of the season that they needed to start turning it around immediately. They emphasized over and over again that they needed to start out hot in order to draw more fans early in the season. Everyone kept saying that they had plenty of time to get back into it. And while that was true, it didn't make a difference. The whole point of this team was to be in it from start to finish in order to justify the payroll and make the money back. While they could conceivably have gotten back into the race in June and still win the division, the importance of being in the race and drawing fans in April and May was too great to allow them to flounder for all of April and quite possibly this month, too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

This really sucks. Even SS2K5 is on the brink. I guess we won't be fighting anymore for a while.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
This really sucks. Even SS2K5 is on the brink. I guess we won't be fighting anymore for a while.

I don't know why you guys are surprised. I have been saying that since the off-season. They will not hold off on melting this team down like they have in years past people of payroll considerations. These guys got rich for a reason, and it wasn't because they allowed their losses to fester.

I do still believe the team would recover if left alone, but I don't think the ownership group is going to give them the time to play it out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
I don't know why you guys are surprised. I have been saying that since the off-season. They will not hold off on melting this team down like they have in years past people of payroll considerations. These guys got rich for a reason, and it wasn't because they allowed their losses to fester.

I do still believe the team would recover if left alone, but I don't think the ownership group is going to give them the time to play it out.

And they shouldn't. The coaching staff and the players knew what was expected and necessary of them from day one. I haven't seen any sense of urgency at all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
And they shouldn't. The coaching staff and the players knew what was expected and necessary of them from day one. I haven't seen any sense of urgency at all.

The only way I can see the team not getting melted down is if upper management is fired somewhere (ie Ozzie or Kenny) to try to coax out the turnaround. The longer that doesn't happen, the odds are better and better for a true sell off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)

Do you think they can recover enough to make the playoffs? Because if they can't, then there's not much of a reason to let it play out.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be lets try and find positives?

There is plenty of things to be disapointed about but also plenty of other threads for it. Nothing good will ever happen again!

C'mon show some fight! And hope the team does. Maybe a brawl will help. Didn't it happen against the Tigers in 2000? First thing start retaliating for hit batsmen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Do you think they can recover enough to make the playoffs? Because if they can't, then there's not much of a reason to let it play out.

Can? 100%. Would they? I'm about 1/3 yes vs 2/3 no on that. I really am not convinced that we aren't looking at the 2010 San Diego Padres, or the 2003 Kansas City Royals on top of our division. Do we have enough to catch them when the do fall, probably not, but I think we have a shot if we were to turn it around now.

Every time this season when I've said to myself, "This is as low as it gets. This team can only improve." They take a bigger step backwards and downwards.

They are 4-17 in their last 21 games. They've lost 15 of their last 20 games against the Twins.

How much worse can it get? Right?? Well, they could go 1-19 in their next 20 games and have a perfect game thrown against them. No matter how bad this team is or appears, they always find a way to play worse as the season wears on into summer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)

I saw a graph that shows that 91 teams have started the season 11-21. Only 4 have even finished over .500

1989 Toronto Blue Jays: 89-73

1974 Pittsburgh Pirates: 88-74

1950 New York Giants: 86-68

1996 Boston Red Sox: 85-77