The Humber v B-Mac Spectacular

Steve9347

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
So again, I ask, does anyone else see a pinkish tint to the jerseys in this game? Is that from the dirt?

I didn't realize anything until you said something, but it is on my TV as well. I checked 3 in the house, all with that pink tint.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
We also have the 2nd most expensive average tix in the league IIRC. there's a reason the sox don't try to sell the stadium out, they've made a different and valid business decision for their franchise

For box tickets, bleacher seats.....fine, we can argue.

But I still think they need to lower the upper deck seat prices, do more promotions specifically for those sections and have value/discount food pricing. That makes a HUGE difference to fathers planning a family outing.

In the end, all the franchises know that the new broadcast rights deal will go from something like $430 million per season to $1 billion per season after 2012.

Attendance/stadium construction is becoming less and less of a driver of franchise values.

I have the A's feed from DirecTV Latin America....not pink here on the computer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
For box tickets, bleacher seats.....fine, we can argue.

But I still think they need to lower the upper deck seat prices, do more promotions specifically for those sections and have value/discount food pricing. That makes a HUGE difference to fathers planning a family outing.

In the end, all the franchises know that the new broadcast rights deal will go from something like $430 million per season to $1 billion per season after 2012.

Attendance/stadium construction is becoming less and less of a driver of franchise values.

I have the A's feed from DirecTV Latin America....not pink here on the computer.

This is one case where their business acumen makes thing worse for some fans. Want the teams to perfectly serve the public interest? Nationalize baseball then let taxpayers vote on the rates. Think thatll work?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
Apparently the way to make a 6 man rotation work is for Humber to just throw a shutout tonight.

How many great innings does he have to throw before we stick him in the pen?

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ May 13, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
I didn't realize anything until you said something, but it is on my TV as well. I checked 3 in the house, all with that pink tint.

I don't have any color problems, but I want to choke my tv. Every time the Sox are on WGN, the crowd mics are louder than the announcers. I don't know if it's a local thing (Cox AZ) or if other peopl;e have the same problem. I didn't mind it so much when DJ was in the booth, but I don't like missing out on Stone or Wimpy.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 14, 2011 -> 04:29 AM)
I don't have any color problems, but I want to choke my tv. Every time the Sox are on WGN, the crowd mics are louder than the announcers. I don't know if it's a local thing (Cox AZ) or if other peopl;e have the same problem. I didn't mind it so much when DJ was in the booth, but I don't like missing out on Stone or Wimpy.

It is that way on DirectTv too. Very annoying.

Well, I brought it up earlier, but by my count only 2 balls the Sox have hit would have been in the stands. Both that inning. AJ and Omar popped out to third.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)

Oh, I consider that a blessing. Not having to hear Hawk is fantastic! "HOT DOGS" guy is more entertaining.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
This is one case where their business acumen makes thing worse for some fans. Want the teams to perfectly serve the public interest? Nationalize baseball then let taxpayers vote on the rates. Think thatll work?

We could get into a political argument, but there's no point.

Baseball has always been protected by the anti-trust exemption and Congress, and Congress is basically run by corporate interests, and among those elites are the owners of 30 major league baseball teams.

The "average" baseball fan (with a family of 4) will never enter into their considerations, any more than Congress will care about the effects of cutbacks on Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, Head Start, WIC, etc.

That's one of those things lost from the Bill Veeck era. While he could hardly balance his checkbook, one of his primary concerns was always about entertainment and the fan experience. Things have obviously changed...for both the good and bad. In many ways, we're lucky the team is still in Chicago, and once again you can give credit (or blame, for those against public funding of sports facilities) to government for that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
We could get into a political argument, but there's no point.

Baseball has always been protected by the anti-trust exemption and Congress, and Congress is basically run by corporate interests, and among those elites are the owners of 30 major league baseball teams.

The "average" baseball fan (with a family of 4) will never enter into their considerations, any more than Congress will care about the effects of cutbacks on Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, Head Start, WIC, etc.

That's one of those things lost from the Bill Veeck era. While he could hardly balance his checkbook, one of his primary concerns was always about entertainment and the fan experience. Things have obviously changed...for both the good and bad. In many ways, we're lucky the team is still in Chicago, and once again you can give credit (or blame, for those against public funding of sports facilities) to government for that.

But you did anyways! :lolhitting

I agree with you 100%, though.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
If Humber can get through this inning without allowing another hit, he will be the 1st pitcher in Sox history to have 4 straight starts of 7+ IP w/ 3 hits or less. Billy Pierce/Humber are tied with 3 starts.

Blah, who cares. He's kicking ass, and that's all that matters.