WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
Pierre needs to get a "pulled hamstring".

Great idea! A couple of weeks to see how things work out, without him. Maybe he is not done and could come out of his slump and be on fire the second half. I personally am not sure he has totally lost it so fast. Viciedo in right,Lillibridge in center (leading off) and Quentin in left. Try it while Rios simmers and Juan's "hamstring" heals.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Great idea! A couple of weeks to see how things work out, without him. Maybe he is not done and could come out of his slump and be on fire the second half. I personally am not sure he has totally lost it so fast. Viciedo in right,Lillibridge in center (leading off) and Quentin in left. Try it while Rios simmers and Juan's "hamstring" heals.

And what happens when Viciedo has a .950 OPS when Pierre comes back? Viciedo goes back to AAA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
In my opinion, this article was Kenny's way of saying that he wants Viciedo playing in LF but Ozzie wants Pierre instead. Just like last year, it's his way of putting Ozzie in the spotlight.

This is one of those things that still really bugs me about the KW/Ozzie/JR relationship.

KW is the GM. He is supposed to be in charge. The buck is supposed to stop with him. If he thinks they're losing games because his manager is being stubborn, he's supposed to be the one with the power to tell the manager to do as he says. If the manager refuses, then the GM is supposed to have the power to remove him.

I don't think that's the case in this org. And if I'm right about that...that's the kind of situation where a GM ought to resign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
It will go a long way towards making the point. If Viciedo succeeds, you find a way to get rid of Teahen or Pierre. If not, you can send him down and have made your point.

Yeah, that's how we send the message. Pierre is struggling, Viciedo came up, filled in, and murdered the ball. But hey, Pierre's back, the only way Viciedo's ever going to learn how important it is for this team that he stops hitting the ball is if we send him down.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)
Lol, I mean I see what you did here, but have you read the article? Seems like Oz and KW are on the same page about playing this kid every day.

Good news.

Where? You think KW is going to sign off on benching his struggling but extremely high-paid CF? Are we going to bench one of the brightest parts of 2011 in Brent Lillibridge? Do you think Ozzie would actually bench the slappy speedster on his roster even if he's the worst OF in all of baseball? Should we bench Dunn and put Carlos at DH? There's just no spot for him right now, and I truly believe that Ozzie is too stubborn to bench the OBVIOUS choice in Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
Where? You think KW is going to sign off on benching his struggling but extremely high-paid CF? Are we going to bench one of the brightest parts of 2011 in Brent Lillibridge? Do you think Ozzie would actually bench the slappy speedster on his roster even if he's the worst OF in all of baseball? Should we bench Dunn and put Carlos at DH? There's just no spot for him right now, and I truly believe that Ozzie is too stubborn to bench the OBVIOUS choice in Juan Pierre.

From what the article tells me, if one should believe it in a first place.. If Viciedo is comning up, he's coming up to play, not sit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Yeah, that's how we send the message. Pierre is struggling, Viciedo came up, filled in, and murdered the ball. But hey, Pierre's back, the only way Viciedo's ever going to learn how important it is for this team that he stops hitting the ball is if we send him down.

Um, that is exactly what people want to do with Pierre. He has stopped hitting, so we want to send him out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Um, that is exactly what people want to do with Pierre. He has stopped hitting, so we want to send him out.

You misread.

Right now, we're rewarding Pierre for poor play.

In your hypothetical, we're punishing Viciedo for hitting.

That's how we do things in this org.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
You misread.

Right now, we're rewarding Pierre for poor play.

In your hypothetical, we're punishing Viciedo for hitting.

That's how we do things in this org.

I love your hypothetical world where we just make up stuff to fit our agenda better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
How do you platoon 3 right handed hitters?

I assumed he meant just for Rios and Lillibridge to platoon in CF and leadoff. In which case, you would ask how would you platoon 2 right handed hitters. Well as far as this year...

Lillibridge vs RHP: .280/.393/.560/.953 179 OPS+

Rios vs LHP: .266/.284/.344/.627 70 OPS+ (ya well he's much worse vs RHP)

Of course we know Ozzie isn't a "stats guy" per se (nor would you platoon Rios, which is is very economically bad from the investment). But I'm sure we all know Viciedo should not be platooned.

Edited by SoxAce

I hate to say it, but I think Rios is the solution to Viciedo coming up. If Rios continues his resurgence, I would lead him off and bring up Viciedo to play OF. Rios has done it before in Toronto, he is capable.

The only question is whether Rios figured it out or if he is just having a lucid moment in a season of insanity

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
I hate to say it, but I think Rios is the solution to Viciedo coming up. If Rios continues his resurgence, I would lead him off and bring up Viciedo to play OF. Rios has done it before in Toronto, he is capable.

The only question is whether Rios figured it out or if he is just having a lucid moment in a season of insanity

I have no urge even to see the good Rios leading off.

Alexei Ramirez has a .360+ OBP on this season and if he's leading off that cuts the chances of him GIDP which has been his worst sin so far. Alexei's playing like a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)

There's two posters on this site that have proven time and again they have inside sources. One of them said the master plan is for Rios to lead off next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
I have no urge even to see the good Rios leading off.

Alexei Ramirez has a .360+ OBP on this season and if he's leading off that cuts the chances of him GIDP which has been his worst sin so far. Alexei's playing like a leadoff hitter.

I have no urge to even see Alexei at the top of the lineup.

Alexei needs to bat 6th or lower, there is no stat that can convince me otherwise. He doesnt need to do anything but think about hitting, he doesnt need Ozzie telling him to draw walks and try and lay down bunts

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
There's two posters on this site that have proven time and again they have inside sources. One of them said the master plan is for Rios to lead off next season.

Well, I guess if you look at the Sox's lineup this year and think "Man, Pierre's been bad, but if only we could have less prodcution from the leadoff spot, that'd make everything great."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)

Alexei needs to bat 6th or lower, there is no stat that can convince me otherwise. He doesnt need to do anything but think about hitting, he doesnt need Ozzie telling him to draw walks and try and lay down bunts

If we're unwilling to put Ramirez at the leadoff spot, then I think we're better off trying to trade one of our starters to find a better fit than we are going with anyone else currently on the team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)

We finally seem to have him right again. The last thing we need to do is Nick Swisher him up by trying to make him do something he isn't going to be comfortable with. the whole reason Juan Pierre is still on this team is that he is the one guy who actually has hit as a leadoff hitter on a regular basis in his career. Just like plugging Dunn into the DH spot, there are mental adjustments that go with putting someone in that spot. We don't need to screw up another player trying to do that right now. That is why Kenny isn't forcing Viciedo into the line up right now. It hasn't got anything to with the idiotic notion that somehow Pierre is being rewarded by Ozzie for sucking. It is the same idea as asking your closer to go start a game.