2011-2012 NHL Thread

What a bummer, he came back & had like 12 points in 8 games like and never missed a beat.

Good for him for sitting out though. He passed all the concussion tests, so he can totally play, but it's good to err on the side of caution. I bet a lot of hockey players wouldn't do that, it's not worth it to get your brain all messed up.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alain Vigneault talking s***

Canucks coach stokes Hawks rivalry

By Jesse Rogers

ESPNChicago.com

The war of words between the Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks has resumed, even though the teams don't play again until Jan. 31.

After hearing disparaging comments about Daniel and Henrik Sedin made by Hawks center Dave Bolland, Canucks' coach Alain Vigneault responded.

"When you have comments like Bolland's, he's obviously an individual whose IQ is probably the size of a bird seed, and he has a face that only a mother can look at," Vigneault told reporters Wednesday, according to the Vancouver Province.

When asked how he's able to get under the skin of the league's top players on WGN radio recently, Bolland referred to the Sedin twins as "sisters" and Vigneault took exception.

"I think it's a bad reflection for himself, the image an NHL player tries to portray," Vigneault said. "In my mind, such a classy organization like Chicago, I'm sure they're not too happy about that. I'm sure the NHL isn't too happy about that. We're not talking about junior league here or bush league, we're talking about (the) NHL, where they have professional players where they get involved in community and society. We all do a hard line of work and they do it the best way they can and to have guys like this trying to act like comedians, that's just not the right thing to do."

A listener asked Bolland if he hated just the Sedins or the whole team.

"I hate them all," Bolland said.

Vigneault believes the situation is plain "stupidity."

"You're talking about two players who play with integrity, they play the right way, that are great examples of everything this game stands for," he said. "And then you have a birdseed like that making comments, lucky his mother loves him."

Bolland and the Sedins have had many spirited battles during the Hawks and Canucks rivalry over the last several years. The Canucks claim the Sedins have done too much in, and for, the game, to be attacked in this manner.

"If someone wants to take a shot at them after all their accomplishments, it certainly rings hollow in my ears," general manager Mike Gillis said on the team's flagship radio station TEAM 1040. "I really don't care what he or anyone else says about them."

Jesse Rogers covers the Blackhawks for ESPN 1000 and ESPNChicago.com.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)
He was moving forward the whole time.

Isn't the puck supposed to move forward the whole time, not just the player? When he was making his moves, it seems as if he brought the puck back a few times. I remember the Hawks lost on a similar SO goal last year too and I was just as confused.

Hopefully the game last night can help kickstart a new Chicago/Minnesota rivalry.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
Isn't the puck supposed to move forward the whole time, not just the player? When he was making his moves, it seems as if he brought the puck back a few times. I remember the Hawks lost on a similar SO goal last year too and I was just as confused.

Hopefully the game last night can help kickstart a new Chicago/Minnesota rivalry.

I looked up the rules, and it does say the puck most move forward, which would make many of the moves illegal. Interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:02 AM)
I looked up the rules, and it does say the puck most move forward, which would make many of the moves illegal. Interesting.

Yeah but a couple of inches was not what the rule was designed for, it was designed for toe drags, spins etc. The one in question from above was when St Louis completely stopped, dragged and then shot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah but a couple of inches was not what the rule was designed for, it was designed for toe drags, spins etc. The one in question from above was when St Louis completely stopped, dragged and then shot.

St. Louis, that's who it was, thanks I couldn't remember. I found

. It's obviously a different move than Kaner's, but both are similar in that they kind of stop the puck's forward movement, but don't really bring it backwards.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)

Exactly. You have to focus on the spirit of the rule more than the letter of the rule. Kane didn't do anything wrong on that shot IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
St. Louis, that's who it was, thanks I couldn't remember. I found
. It's obviously a different move than Kaner's, but both are similar in that they kind of stop the puck's forward movement, but don't really bring it backwards.

Oh yeah, I was f***ing pissed when they awarded that goal. Everything is supposed to be moving forward during a shootout and he stopped almost dead.

Last night when Kane slowed down to a crawl I was like WTF are you doing idiot, and then, awesomeness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
FAN590 SN 590 The FAN

The Philadelphia Flyers have announced Defenceman Chris Pronger is done for the season due to severe post-concussion symptoms.

They really are taking these concussions seriously in the NHL nowadays (as they should). The Flyers season potentially still has over 5 months to go and they already are calling him out for the year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
Another day, another Hawks win. Anaheim is bad. Is this gonna be the 3rd straight year the backup goalie steals the job in midseason? I still think Crawford is the starter come playoff time, but Emery has stepped it up.

This is the reason you keep Emery at the start of this season. Even if he washed out Turco style, you still had the rookie to call up. If you cut Ray to start with, it really limited your options.