Why Pitch to Starlin Castro?

tonyho7476

I was sitting in the stands last night, and as soon as Gavin threw the wild pitch...I said, 'Ok, now walk Castro'. Why would you pitch to this kid, who has been very good, with the worst 3rd place hitter in baseball, in the on-deck circle. Of course he was going to get a hit. 1st base was open. What the f*** Ozzie?

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
I would have pitched to him. The guy only had one homerun coming into the game and of course he's going to get ONLY his second AGAINST us . . . :bang

He didn't hit a homer...he singled up the middle. He homered later.

Yes. How the hell do you let such a good contact hitter beat you in that situation when I'm pretty sure Blake Dewitt was on deck.

And this is not hindsight, I was making this opinion quite clear at the game.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Yes. How the hell do you let such a good contact hitter beat you in that situation when I'm pretty sure Blake Dewitt was on deck.

And this is not hindsight, I was making this opinion quite clear at the game.

Correct...the worst guy I have ever seen bat third in a lineup.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
He didn't hit a homer...he singled up the middle. He homered later.

Yes, you're right. I stand corrected.

And I guess you can only say that IF Gavin managed to get Castro out then you would have DeWitt leading off the next inning?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I was sitting in the stands last night, and as soon as Gavin threw the wild pitch...I said, 'Ok, now walk Castro'. Why would you pitch to this kid, who has been very good, with the worst 3rd place hitter in baseball, in the on-deck circle. Of course he was going to get a hit. 1st base was open. What the f*** Ozzie?

Starlin Castro is not a dude you pitch around right now. Gavin threw an awful pitch, that is that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
With Blake DeWitt standing in the on-deck circle? You pitch around Castro every time.

Christ, at some point you just go after some motherf***ers. That was Castro's whopping 2nd homerun of the year. Gavin throws that same pitch to anyone and it's a bomb (unless of course, it's the White Sox, who have an inability to hit hanging breaking balls).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Christ, at some point you just go after some motherf***ers. That was Castro's whopping 2nd homerun of the year. Gavin throws that same pitch to anyone and it's a bomb (unless of course, it's the White Sox, who have an inability to hit hanging breaking balls).

Exactly. Give me a break about pitching around guys.

Our team sucks. Period.

Maybe at some point the team will improve and get to .500.

But pitch around him? That's stupid. Get him out like Humber would have.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)

That at-bat wasn't a home run, it was a line drive right back up the middle at Gavin's head. Castro has hit plenty of those all season. There are very few hitters in the Cubs lineup that can beat you, and Castro is probably the main one, I'd rather avoid him if possible, I don't care which inning it is. Make Blake f***ing DeWitt beat you.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
There are very few hitters in the Cubs lineup that can beat you, and Castro is probably the main one, I'd rather avoid him if possible, I don't care which inning it is.

Is he that well established??! At most he's having a nice first full year, yet ppl are treating like him like he's Albert Pujols (or Aramis when he was on 'roids :D ).

This is downright hilarious. 2nd and 3rd, two out, three run lead, and the sox are relegated to pitching around Starlin Castro. LOL!

If this continues, fine, whatever, then Castro's "for real." But to this point he's just been a good player.

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Is he that well established??! At most he's having a nice first full year, yet ppl are treating like him like he's Albert Pujols (or Aramis when he was on 'roids :D ).

This is downright hilarious. 2nd and 3rd, two out, three run lead, and the sox are relegated to pitching around Starlin Castro. LOL!

If this continues, fine, whatever, then Castro's "for real." But to this point he's just been a good player.

Jeez, I'm not comparing Castro to Pujols or Bautista. I'm comparing him to the guy in the on-deck circle due up next. You have a base open and you are facing your opponent's hottest hitter, while the player due up next is their coldest hitter (who has no business hitting 3rd in any ML lineup). I'm gonna take my chances with DeWitt and let Castro have 1st base. There were runners on 2nd & 3rd, I wasn't worried about a homer, just a simple hard-hit single to score 2 runs, and that's what happen. It may have ONLY been the 3rd inning, but it cut the lead down to 1 and gave the Cubs momentum that they didn't have.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
In fair he was batting ahead of one of the worst hitters in baseball

It's just this crusty old baseball logic of "well, it's the third inning...." So? Think, if other teams pitched around Konerko, Quentin and Alexi every game, whatever the situation, even if bases were loaded and walking those three brought in three runs. I'm confident we'd lose 3/4 of our remaining schedule.

Strategy shouldn't just be left untouched until the 7th inning. If you know only two f***ing players can beat you, why go after them? For the purity of the game? LOL. And it's going to be difficult for Castro to steal any bases when there's someone in front of him.

Tonight, I'm not confident of our chances because Konerko (albeit in limited ABs) seems to have a good grasp on Garza. He'll pitch around him, I'm fairly confident of that. And that's all I need to know to feel bad about our chances.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
It's just this crusty old baseball logic of "well, it's the third inning...." So? Think, if other teams pitched around Konerko, Quentin and Alexi every game, whatever the situation, even if bases were loaded and walking those three brought in three runs. I'm confident we'd lose 3/4 of our remaining schedule.

Strategy shouldn't just be left untouched until the 7th inning. If you know only two f***ing players can beat you, why go after them? For the purity of the game? LOL. And it's going to be difficult for Castro to steal any bases when there's someone in front of him.

Tonight, I'm not confident of our chances because Konerko (albeit in limited ABs) seems to have a good grasp on Garza. He'll pitch around him, I'm fairly confident of that. And that's all I need to know to feel bad about our chances.

"It's only April"

"It's only May"

"One player wouldn't change that much"

"It's just one game"

"It's just one game (again)"

"It's just one game (again x2)"

"It's just one game (again x3)"

Those are all in the same vein.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Exactly. Give me a break about pitching around guys.

Our team sucks. Period.

Maybe at some point the team will improve and get to .500.

But pitch around him? That's stupid. Get him out like Humber would have.

I love this quote. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)

I'm confused haha, I was in the camp that wouldn't have minded us pitching around him, especially a guy with such poor plate discipline.

I can't tell if you agree or disagree

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm confused haha, I was in the camp that wouldn't have minded us pitching around him, especially a guy with such poor plate discipline.

I can't tell if you agree or disagree

I agree, they should have pitched around him. I could have just said that but had more fun going on a confusing rant.