Danks to DL, Sox call up Hector Santiago

Heads22

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Hey! Alright, kinda cool. Didn't have to call someone up from the garbage pile in AAA!

Addison Reed being called up would have been awesome, and be can also go 2-3 innings, but I'd rather have Santiago than anyone pitching in AAA.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Addison Reed being called up would have been awesome, and be can also go 2-3 innings, but I'd rather have Santiago than anyone pitching in AAA.

No reason to burn an option on a guy like Reed just yet.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
I meant for the long haul. Reed is much better than Bruney.

And if the Sox haven't taught you yet how much damage you can do by calling a guy up too early, I'm not sure what else they can do to convince you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
And if the Sox haven't taught you yet how much damage you can do by calling a guy up too early, I'm not sure what else they can do to convince you.

The club is doing serious damage to Sale. It sickens me. I hope somehow he can pan out, but I'm very very concerned for the long-term future of both Beckham and Sale. Both had so much potential and neither has really been able to develop. The majors are a very tough place to be and it is very difficult to make decent size adjustments at the big league level. I think both would be best suited from making adjustments down in the minor, seing some success with those adjustments (and thus building confidence) and than seeing time in the majors.

Heck with Sale it is more than him learning but just getting him a lot more innings so he can better develop his secondary stuff and better learn to repeat his delivery.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
The club is doing serious damage to Sale. It sickens me. I hope somehow he can pan out, but I'm very very concerned for the long-term future of both Beckham and Sale. Both had so much potential and neither has really been able to develop. The majors are a very tough place to be and it is very difficult to make decent size adjustments at the big league level. I think both would be best suited from making adjustments down in the minor, seing some success with those adjustments (and thus building confidence) and than seeing time in the majors.

Heck with Sale it is more than him learning but just getting him a lot more innings so he can better develop his secondary stuff and better learn to repeat his delivery.

Sale was ruined the moment they decided to slot him in to the bullpen and not have him starting in AA or AAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
And that doesn't mean its a good thing.

They aren't saying it because they don't think Reed is a great looking prospect. They are saying it because he has dominated each level he visited and looks like a guy who can move quickly through the system. Remember that Dan Hudson guy? He moved through the system pretty damn quickly and that worked out.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
They aren't saying it because they don't think Reed is a great looking prospect. They are saying it because he has dominated each level he visited and looks like a guy who can move quickly through the system. Remember that Dan Hudson guy? He moved through the system pretty damn quickly and that worked out.

He struggled for a few performances and the team gave up on him. Not exactly the kind of working out I'd want.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Obviously I mean it worked out for Hudson and his success.

I only care about whether it works out for the Sox...which means when a guy comes up, he needs to be ready to contribute and dominate right away. If he takes any time to develop, he's going to get benched or moved to garbage time or traded, and then we'll start hearing things about his attitude.

If Reed came up and walked too many guys in his first 3 outings, we'd never see him again. He needs to be ready to come up and do what Sergio and Sale did last year...overpower people right away and consistently.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)

I disagree. I think that is you are in the majors getting hitters out its much better for you than throwing to guys that will never sniff the big club, and thats regardless of being in the rotation or in the pen. Also, its not like Chris is a situational guy right now that only pitches to lefties, he can and will pitch multiple innings at a time against both lefties and righties. I think he's right where he needs to be both for him and also for the White Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
I disagree. I think that is you are in the majors getting hitters out its much better for you than throwing to guys that will never sniff the big club, and thats regardless of being in the rotation or in the pen. Also, its not like Chris is a situational guy right now that only pitches to lefties, he can and will pitch multiple innings at a time against both lefties and righties. I think he's right where he needs to be both for him and also for the White Sox.

He's coming around lately, but the first 2 months of the season, you could really, really see Sale struggling with repeatability of his delivery and release point. Because of that, he couldn't throw anything for a strike regularly. That's a symptom of simply not being in a position where he's throwing enough pitches to get the release point down. The worry there is that if you've got one thing out of whack, suddenly you start overcorrecting other things. Overthrowing the ball or screwing with other things in your mechanics. Those type of corrections, esp. when they're happening in the big leagues where a single mistake pitch will leave the park, are the kind of things that get guys hurt or permanently knock them off kilter.

Hopefully he's throwing strikes more right now because he's getting the feel back where he was last year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
I thought for sure Kenny would recall Harrell for the 17th time.

I'm glad we're getting a look at someone else. Santiago is semi-intriguing.

And Sale is rounding into form nicely. There's nothing that has happened this year that will prevent him from being an effective starter for us next year, when we actually need one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
He's coming around lately, but the first 2 months of the season, you could really, really see Sale struggling with repeatability of his delivery and release point. Because of that, he couldn't throw anything for a strike regularly. That's a symptom of simply not being in a position where he's throwing enough pitches to get the release point down. The worry there is that if you've got one thing out of whack, suddenly you start overcorrecting other things. Overthrowing the ball or screwing with other things in your mechanics. Those type of corrections, esp. when they're happening in the big leagues where a single mistake pitch will leave the park, are the kind of things that get guys hurt or permanently knock them off kilter.

Hopefully he's throwing strikes more right now because he's getting the feel back where he was last year.

Thornton had the same issue, and we werent saying move him down. He's a major league pitcher and stretching him out to start wont be an issue after this season. I dont buy into his psyche being so weak that a homerun would derail his entire game.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
I guess Tony Pena will be activated from the DL tomorrow and Santiago will head back to B'ham.

Exactly. They needed a guy who was an emergency guy for a bunch of innings today. Now Santiago can be sent back to Birmingham and not be exposed to waivers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Ozzie said that T-Pain had more forearm stiffness the other day, so I doubt he's coming up soon. Hector probably around for a while.

I'd be surprised if he's not replaced by Harrell tomorrow.