The official "end of Ozzie soon?" thread

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
Which would be the sad part.

Sacrificing Konerko (sure JR and the fans will love that one) because of players like Dunn, Teahen and Rios that nobody wants to see play.

That would be adding insult to injury to the already cynical fanbase, along with trading Danks, Quentin and Buehrle.

Well, KW was in this same "dark place" in 2007, dug down deep and decided to keep Buehrle and Dye around. It's not his modus operandi...which has actually been one of his strengths, but a weakness simultaneously. But it certainly worked out in 2008.

It would be, but he's a pretty nice alternative for the teams thinking about jumping in on the Fielder/Pujols sweepstakes. Short term, reasonably priced, good guy, having a huge last season and a half, the Sox could maximize a return if they aren't going to be contending and actually do Paulie a favor and steer him to a team with a chance. I don't think this is the path that they will take, but if they do, dumping Paulie is the obvious move.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
It would be, but he's a pretty nice alternative for the teams thinking about jumping in on the Fielder/Pujols sweepstakes. Short term, reasonably priced, good guy, having a huge last season and a half, the Sox could maximize a return if they aren't going to be contending and actually do Paulie a favor and steer him to a team with a chance. I don't think this is the path that they will take, but if they do, dumping Paulie is the obvious move.
Of course, with the way the captain is performing, the return for him ought to be enormous before we move him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
I really doubt the Sox will ever go into a full rebuild in the few months, but if they did, the first guy you trade is Paul Konerko.

I disagree. It has to be John Danks or Carlos Quentin. You do listen very closely on PK though depending on what your plan looks like.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
Btw, a 4-6 year rebuilding process would be a disaster. That's "cut payroll down to $50 million" bad.

How long do you think a full rebuilding would take given the poor quality of our farm system? We'd have to suck for several years to get enough high draft picks. If you hit those, maybe you get lucky and it takes four years. If you miss on enough of those it could take a lot longer. When you start losing 90-100 games for multiple years in a row, attendance will drop and payroll will fall.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
How long do you think a full rebuilding would take given the poor quality of our farm system? We'd have to suck for several years to get enough high draft picks. If you hit those, maybe you get lucky and it takes four years. If you miss on enough of those it could take a lot longer. When you start losing 90-100 games for multiple years in a row, attendance will drop and payroll will fall.

With what the sox have as tradeable assets, this an be done rapidly if nothing stupid is done. The problem is getting nothing from Dunn Rios and Peavy, which is nearly $50 million.

If they were just adequate and we got good returns by dealing Quentin and Danks, were right there. If the struggle, then it's 4 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
I disagree. It has to be John Danks or Carlos Quentin. You do listen very closely on PK though depending on what your plan looks like.

As long as you get a reasonable package, I think you have to move Jackson no matter where we are in the standing come July 31st. If you can get a young SP who can join your rotation this year or next year, then I'd move Carlos unless we come out of the break hot. If you've made those other moves, then I think you can move Danks without going into full rebuilding mode. You'd have to get a ton of talent back to even consider the move. If you trade Paulie, then we might as well do a full rebuild, because he's such a huge part of this offense and I doubt you'll get enough back for him with Fielder and Pujols on the market this off-season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
With what the sox have as tradeable assets, this an be done rapidly if nothing stupid is done. The problem is getting nothing from Dunn Rios and Peavy, which is nearly $50 million.

If they were just adequate and we got good returns by dealing Quentin and Danks, were right there. If the struggle, then it's 4 years.

Sounds like your proposing retooling rather than rebuilding, which I completely agree with.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
As long as you get a reasonable package, I think you have to move Jackson no matter where we are in the standing come July 31st. If you can get a young SP who can join your rotation this year or next year, then I'd move Carlos unless we come out of the break hot. If you've made those other moves, then I think you can move Danks without going into full rebuilding mode. You'd have to get a ton of talent back to even consider the move. If you trade Paulie, then we might as well do a full rebuild, because he's such a huge part of this offense and I doubt you'll get enough back for him with Fielder and Pujols on the market this off-season.

Jackson isn't a priority unless someone offers you something better than a sandwich pick

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
Jackson isn't a priority unless someone offers you something better than a sandwich pick

And my guess is that someone will. He's going to be one of the best SPs on the market. All it takes is one top 100 prospect and you got yourself a better prospect than a regular sandwich pick. I think it will happen.