Tiggers @ Sox 7/27/11 Gamethread (1:10 CT)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Q + Danks + Thornton = what, $14 million? Rios DFA = $42 million?

Q and Danks will each be around $8M next year, Thornton is signed for what the next two years? $12M? Then throw in the $10M in savings today.

$16M + $12M + $10M = $28M.

So, you're still eating $14M, but today showed, No Rios = Good.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
Q and Danks will each be around $8M next year, Thornton is signed for what the next two years? $12M? Then throw in the $10M in savings today.

$16M + $12M + $10M = $28M.

So, you're still eating $14M, but today showed, No Rios = Good.

You can't count next year's cost savings there. Basically, cutting Rios would require this team pull back in Payroll to $90 million next year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
If KW dumps Q/Danks/Thornton for cost controlled talent, Rios will be DFA'd.

Considering teams can still fall in love with his potential and tool set, I'd feel pretty confident either a trade involving an equally bad contract coming back or us picking up at least 75% of his contract could still happen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Not so sure about that. They are probably equally hard with Rios possibly being a little easier.

I'd say the Cubs are a lot more likely to eat salary on Soriano than the Sox would be with Rios.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Is that a prerequisite to post on this board?

No, but continuing to assert a Rios trade makes your potential alcoholism suspect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
You can't count next year's cost savings there. Basically, cutting Rios would require this team pull back in Payroll to $90 million next year.

I'm counting any years Rios is signed.

Also, he is hence forth known as AlbatRios again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Not so sure about that. They are probably equally hard with Rios possibly being a little easier.

.555 OPS vs .733

It's not even close. Rios is utterly useless.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Dude, there's no f***ing way. He's harder to deal than Alfonso Soriano.

That could be your deal. Before the Sox just eat the contract, I think they'll trade him for another underperforming, overpaid player elsewhere in the league. You might as well take a chance and see if a change of scenery for someone can make a difference before eating all that money.

Similar to what the Sox did in the Borchard for Thornton trade....just on a larger scale.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
That could be your deal. Before the Sox just eat the contract, I think they'll trade him for another underperforming, overpaid player elsewhere in the league. You might as well take a chance and see if a change of scenery for someone can make a difference before eating all that money.

Similar to what the Sox did in the Borchard for Thornton trade....just on a larger scale.

Do you even realize how awful Rios is? No one is even close to being that bad. Why in God's name would anyone want him on their roster? He is worse at the plate than most NL pitchers.

Soriano is a DH and breaking down, much smaller market for him. Both are untradeable so not worth arguing over.

DE AZA + PITCHING = WINS...

Would have been nice to take all three, but the Ozzie likes to handicap us one game a series.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
.555 OPS vs .733

It's not even close. Rios is utterly useless.

Yes, when you compare that one stat. But you also take into mind their age, defensive ability and actual dollars involved in their contracts. Rios has 3 years at roughly 12.5 per and Soriano has 3 years at 18 million per. Thats 15 million dollars more to take on an aging, broken down crappy DH.

Edited by RockRaines

I wonder if it is at all possible to make a Rios and a prospect for Uggla.

Uggla's power numbers haven't been terrible this year, but his average is only slightly better than Dunn. I don't know if the Braves are ready to give up on him yet considering the contract they gave him. However, I do know the Braves are looking for some speed in the OF.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Pitching change for the third out. I am always worried we are messing with success in these situations. But, I guess it has been succesful too

Herman Franks use to do it all the time when he had Bruce Sutter.

If the Mariners hadn't of cut Milton Bradley earlier in the year, that could have been your deal for Rios. It's a player in a situation like Soriano or where Bradley was earlier in the year that I expect a deal to happen for at some point. It's two teams just moving dead weight. Balance out the dollars and see if the change of scenery does anything for either player.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
Yes, when you compare that one stat. But you also take into mind their age, defensive ability and actual dollars involved in their contracts. Rios has 3 years at roughly 12.5 per and Soriano has 3 years at 18 million per. Thats 15 million dollars more to take on an aging, broken down crappy DH.

Not saying I'd want Soriano but Rios might be the worst hitter in baseball. No contact, no power, doesn't run to first. How can anyone think a team would be interested?