Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
What do these years have to do with the trade itself?

Sorry, I accidentally extrapolated back to the Strike. My point was that the WF Trade reinforced negative feelings from Sox fans that were still simmering from August of 1994 and further suppressed ticket sales.

Your argument is that attendance "recovered" two years after the WF Trade. I see it more as going from a depression (bottom of the league ticket sales) to a prolonged recession (bottom third of the league ticket sales). Sox attendance from 2000-2004 was overwhelmingly mediocre. The Sox didn't recover from this malaise until they won a WS, which is about a once-in-a-generation event for this franchise.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
I don't expect Viciedo to necessarily light the world on fire, but I do expect him to be good, and I do expect him to drive in some runs.

I'll put it this way: if the Sox don't trade Q, I won't be pissed about it. If the Sox do trade Q, and they pick up a couple (or 3) very good-looking young players, and at least one of them is going to contribute right now in addition to Viciedo, then I won't be pissed about it. If the Sox trade Q and get back a future #4 starter and a couple toolsy projects with an ETA of 2014 then I will be f***ing irate.

I can agree with some of that. And I'll add this: If the Sox get ridiculously lucky and are able to trade Rios for productive veteran talent, I won't be pissed about it.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Now the tweet that says Sox are waiting on Viciedo's recovery to trade Quentin might shed light to that rumoured Rios deal, which means there is no RF to put in if Viciedo is not ready.

Well if the trade is to the Phillies and includes Dom Brown...there's your right fielder until Viciedo is ready... Then when Juan Pierre gets left behind on a roadtrip by "accident" Brown in left, De Aza in center and Viciedo in right...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 05:51 AM)
I don't expect Viciedo to necessarily light the world on fire, but I do expect him to be good, and I do expect him to drive in some runs.

I'll put it this way: if the Sox don't trade Q, I won't be pissed about it. If the Sox do trade Q, and they pick up a couple (or 3) very good-looking young players, and at least one of them is going to contribute right now in addition to Viciedo, then I won't be pissed about it. If the Sox trade Q and get back a future #4 starter and a couple toolsy projects with an ETA of 2014 then I will be f***ing irate.

Prospects means they ain't done it yet.

As Pittsburg realizes with Alvarez.

p.s. Is Brett Lawrie still ticketed for stardom? I always wanted that guy.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 05:35 AM)
I just don't agree with this. Quentin is 1/2 of our productive offensive players right now and dealing him would severely hurt this team's chances of winning the division. Take CQ out of the lineup and Paulie will be pitched around 2-3 times per game. Even if Viciedo has recovered from his injury, expecting him to put up an .860 OPS down the stretch is wishful thinking. And I am very high on Dayan over the long run. He's just not a proven commodity at this point.

Isn't Quentin still under team control in 2012? Why not just deal him in December? Sure, you'll get less in return, but you won't have to tank you playoff chances this year.

I completely agree with this, and this is why I was pissed about the Jackson trade. In addition to being a very solid back-of-the-rotation guy, he was a great insurance policy.

If Quentin and PK remain being the only guys hitting in the 2nd half, there's no way the Sox win the AL Central anyway. The other 7 players need to step up. They haven't as of yet. If trading Carlos could net the Sox some key players who'd be part of the team for years to come, I'd be for trading him. Mostly because Viciedo can step in now without a huge drop off production wise from Carlos. And that after 2012, Carlos likely would be gone via free agency.

But I don't see the trade being made.

Everyone talks about getting Brown. In the end, I think Quentin goes to the Braves for some minor league pitching, which does nothing to help the Sox win this year. The only way I trade Quentin is for a package(both Sox and Phils add players) with Brown and then acquire Aramis to play 3rd. You upgrade at 3rd, Viciedo and Ramirez more than make up for the lost offense and you get a top young player in Brown. Can Brown play CF?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
JR said they had the money to cover any loss this season because he saved a little here and saved a little there. Maybe they get swept by Boston and are 6 out on Sunday and things are different, but pulling the plug when you are 3 out with mediocre at best teams in front of you will cost this organization more money in the next 3 or 4 years than not winning this year but still paying the current roster.

He never said any loss.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
I don't care if he gets the top ten ranked prospects in baseball. If they fail, he failed. Sorry, that's life. Trading away proven guys for prospects is always risky. Not everything goes as planned.

So by your logic, Kenny has been about the most successful GM in baseball up until now.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
On the other hand, keeping this same team gives them a much better chance of winning *right now* than trading productive vets for prospects and mediocre, non-impact veterans. Given that Kenny probably doesn't have the financial flexibility to do anything at this point, I'd just stand pat if I were him. Give these guys the chance to sink or swim. History shows that many of them (Dunn, Peavy, Rios, etc.) will eventually swim.

If the Sox don't make the playoffs this year, I doubt that they'll be sporting a $110M payroll next year. It won't go down to $58M or anything like that but payroll will be significantly less, with Buehrle, Danks, Quentin, Pierre, and possibly Floyd off the books. I foresee next year being more of a classical rebuilding year than a retooling year. You can't retool on the fly indefinitely.

Then we are back to counting on Adam Dunn and Alex Rios to lead us to the promised land, which about two days ago, no one wanted.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 01:07 AM)
Sorry, I accidentally extrapolated back to the Strike. My point was that the WF Trade reinforced negative feelings from Sox fans that were still simmering from August of 1994 and further suppressed ticket sales.

Your argument is that attendance "recovered" two years after the WF Trade. I see it more as going from a depression (bottom of the league ticket sales) to a prolonged recession (bottom third of the league ticket sales). Sox attendance from 2000-2004 was overwhelmingly mediocre. The Sox didn't recover from this malaise until they won a WS, which is about a once-in-a-generation event for this franchise.

I'm not sure if this team hasn't conjured up just as much anger as anything. We are down over 10% YoY in attendance, and we have yet to see any hop in summer numbers like we normally do. Usually this time of year we are drawing in the low 30's, which even if you look at he huge detroit numbers that were just here, we are still way down over where we should be. It sounds like to me like fans are already voting with their wallets, and they want change. What we have done hasn't worked, fans haven't been showing up. I'm not quite sure how much the ownership group is supposed to hold on to this in your eyes, but this has been coming for a while. the Sox are not the team to support a record payroll with a big drop in attendance and a team that hasn't been over .500 since April. The players failed, and now it looks like many are getting replaced. I can support that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
So apparently that Brown/Singleton/Cosart proposal was BS

Even if we got Brown I wouldn't love the deal. We're trading away a our second best hitter in the middle of a division race to obtain a prospect with big upside, but hasn't done anything yet. Some in Philly want Brown traded because they are not sure if he can do it at the major league level, which I guess remains to be seen.