Ozzie throws Lillibridge under the bus, spares Rios

caulfield12

Right fielder Brent Lillibridge missed the cutoff man that enabled Brett Gardner to score the Yankees' first run in the first inning, and Robinson Cano's grounder caromed off the glove of Adam Dunn — filling in for Konerko at first base — to score Curtis Granderson with the second run.

"The basics of the game, we're not too good about it," manager Ozzie Guillen said in reference to Lillibridge's errant throw. "Do the little things people are supposed to do. I have players out there that should know better than that."

Lillibridge's woes weren't limited to right, where he started in place of Carlos Quentin (who handled Dunn's designated hitter duties). With the tying and go-ahead runs on base with no outs in the fifth, Lillibridge popped up a sacrifice bunt for the first out.

"The (poorly executed) bunt was big for the game," Guillen said. "I don't know what could have happened there, but I think that was huge."

Brent Morel lined into two inning-ending double plays that caught Gordon Beckham and A.J. Pierzynski off second base to end rallies in the third and fifth. The Sox were 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position.

Dunn struck out three times to increase his season total to 137.

"Adam will be in the lineup again and hopefully (Tuesday) will be the day where everything clicks and he gets going, and the rest of the way he hits 20 homers and we find a way to get this ship righted and it works out," Pierzynski said.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

I wonder if this article really reflects what Beckham said (bad grammar) or the editor didn't notice it? A lot more quotes on Dunn and how the other players feel for him with the booing and fan frustration.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4217458.story

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

‘‘"We've been missing that a lot,"’’ Guillen said. ‘‘"I think the basics of the game (GEE, I WONDER WHY THAT IS OZZIE...HMM!), we're not too good at. . . . I have players out there that should know better than that. When you throw to the wrong base, you give them another opportunity."’

Dunn had another rough night. The boo-birds among the 24,142 fans — about 900 below the Sox’ home average — got more vocal with each of Dunn’s three strikeouts.

"I love Adam Dunn, on and off the field,"’’ Pierzynski said. “"Everyone's been there. If you've played this game, you've struggled. This is not an easy game. It's not football, where you can get yelled at and screamed at, and it makes you play better."

“"CC Sabathia is one of the best left-handers in baseball. [Dunn's] last at-bat, he went 98 [mph], 98 and a 75 mph slider to strike him out. I mean, tip your hat to the other guy."

"Alex [Rios] and him are guys that you want to do well, that we need to do well. You feel for them, you feel for their suffering and pain, but you just know that tomorrow's another day. Tomorrow Adam will be in the lineup again, and hopefully tomorrow will be the day where everything clicks and he gets going, and the rest of the way, he hits 20 homers, and we find a way to get this ship righted and it works out."

www.suntimes.com/sports

“It's not easy when it doesn't seem like people are behind you,” Beckham said. “I know it's tough on him. Obviously he wants to do well; we want him to do well. It's hard.

“He's been upbeat the whole time, but it still hasn't come for him. There's still time. If he can just get going for us in any capacity, we have a good chance to win.”

Pierzynski gave the credit to Sabathia for being good, so you again have to wonder why Dunn was in the lineup, even with Paul Konerko (sore left leg) sitting out.

“I love Adam Dunn, on and off the field,” Pierzynski said. “Everyone's been there. If you've ever played this game, you've struggled. This is not an easy game to play. There's only so much you can do.

“You've got to put the work in; he's done that, he's put the time in and he's trying to make adjustments. He's got some hits the last week or so.

“But facing CC Sabathia tonight, he's one of the best left-handed pitchers in baseball. His last at-bat he went 98 (mph), 98 and a 75 mph slider to strike him out.

“I mean tip your hat to the other guy. I thought he had some good swings early in the game, he just missed the ball his first at-bat (by 1/32nd of an inch according to Harrelson, so so so tired of that excuse for Dunn's hitting this season, like there should be a category for "just missed it, hang whiff 'ems"). It just didn't work out.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011080.../#ixzz1Tnx6YLdp

Edited by caulfield12

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/...nDepth/26116779

If you want to laugh, just watch this Guillen interview.

First, he's gushing over Derek Jeter, calling him "a God" and admiring how he "has lots of beautiful womens around him." Like that Ozzie book review series of videos...and you wonder why Alexei Ramirez didn't win the Gold Glove last season?

Then he goes on to praise Jim Thome (who he didn't want to bring back to the Southside, a decision that probably cost us the division), Michael Young and Scott Rolen"s" (who would look a bit better than Morel for us at 3B at the moment).

The final part was the most amusing.....about "playing the game right" and respecting baseball. He's worried about what the players all around baseball are wearing and yet he doesn't hold anyone on the White Sox accountable, EVER.

Gordon and Zach Stewart, don't let your hair grow too long, just a pre-emptive warning.

Edited by caulfield12

Most of the team dropped the ball this game - just like they have all season.

It's not a matter of sparing Rios - more so than it is calling out people who actually played worse, this game.

This team is a flipping mess - it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 13 out and behind the twins.

Oddly enough, it also wouldn't surprise me to see them do exactly what they have and continue c*c* teasing us into September to a 5 game out 3rd place finish.

I'd be shocked if they won this division.

Even thou they went 8 - 4 after the all-star break - I still wasn't ready to say whether or not I was still in or out.

Now it's easy, I'm all out.

No wonder I wanted them to sell on every bleeping player they had who held value at the break.

Carlos

Konerko

Danks

Mark

Floyd

Thornton

Ohman

Crain

They should have sold em all and just sucked hardcore until the Rios and Peavy contracts came off the books.

At least for those years of suck-a-tude, they'd have players in the minors getting prepared for a turn around when the books where clean again.

Then sign some players and go for it.

It'll take these next 3 against the Yanks and 2 of 3 subsequent losses by CLE and DET for me to have the faintest of hopes.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 04:13 AM)
Most of the team dropped the ball this game - just like they have all season.

It's not a matter of sparing Rios - more so than it is calling out people who actually played worse, this game.

This team is a flipping mess - it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 13 out and behind the twins.

Oddly enough, it also wouldn't surprise me to see them do exactly what they have and continue c*c* teasing us into September to a 5 game out 3rd place finish.

I'd be shocked if they won this division.

Even thou they went 8 - 4 after the all-star break - I still wasn't ready to say whether or not I was still in or out.

Now it's easy, I'm all out.

No wonder I wanted them to sell on every bleeping player they had who held value at the break.

Carlos

Konerko

Danks

Mark

Floyd

Thornton

Ohman

Crain

They should have sold em all and just sucked hardcore until the Rios and Peavy contracts came off the books.

At least for those years of suck-a-tude, they'd have players in the minors getting prepared for a turn around when the books where clean again.

Then sign some players and go for it.

It'll take these next 3 against the Yanks and 2 of 3 subsequent losses by CLE and DET for me to have the faintest of hopes.

Agreed with everything except you forgot to include the $45 million we still owe Adam Dunn.

The Indians really came out to play against the Red Sox last night. It was like night and day flipping back and forth between those 2 games.

Peavy...if he continues to show progress again for the rest of the season, might not even be in the category of the Dunn/Rios deals. And we don't owe him for nearly the amount of time and money as those two.

You could probably add AJ to the trade list except we don't have any legit prospects behind him to take his place. Have to get them back through trades of the players you already mentioned.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 08:02 AM)
What happened to benching Rios? Was that for only 2 games.

Everyone knows that it's impossible for left handed batters to hit left handed pitchers. Face 3 lefties in a row, the right handed batter must play even if he doesn't deserve it.

The exception to this of course is Adam Dunn, who is mashing left handers to a degree previously unseen in the history of baseball. So he plays always.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
You could probably add AJ to the trade list except we don't have any legit prospects behind him to take his place. Have to get them back through trades of the players you already mentioned.

If someone would claim AJ on waivers, I'd let him go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
If someone would claim AJ on waivers, I'd let him go.

I don't know. This team is so unlikeable now. Dumping one of your few popular players might not be a good idea when you're struggling to get fans to show up.

And it's just going to be a salary dump for 2012....maybe even $1-2 million going with him.

You're not going to get young Wilson Ramos or something like that....so you have another hole in the line-up for 2012 and no money to fix it with.

Lucy/Flowers. Yay! That will surely inspire confidence in our pitching staff. And Buehrle would be even MORE likely to leave with AJ gone. What motivation would he possibly have to stay if he saw AJ, Quentin or Danks traded off?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't know. This team is so unlikeable now. Dumping one of your few popular players might not be a good idea when you're struggling to get fans to show up.

AJ Pierzynski will not account for an additional $6 million in revenue in 2012 unless there's a winning team on the field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
If he leaves and causes Buehrle to leave, he damned well will.

Hell, if there's a losing team on the field...then AJ Pierzynski and Mark Buehrle staying will not make up the $15 million+ it takes to pay them.

Mark Buehrle at $9 million?

The Royals might offer him more than that. At least $11-12 million. Surely the Yankees would offer that amount over 2-3 years. Or the Red Sox.

We'll see where his loyalties really lie, with the Sox/JR or the Cardinals back in Missouri on the farm with his family or elsewhere.

Edited by caulfield12

I think we just got a real glimpse into what's going on here, the disconnect from reality.

Lillibridge is the ONE GUY ON THE TEAM I KNOW IS TRYING EVERY GAME. That kid hustles his ass of in the OF and he's made some spectacular plays this season because of it.

Rios is the anti-Lillibridge, a guy so lazy and uninspired that you've got local columnists using their entire column space to blast him.

Rios' sloth during the Red Sox series doesn't even draw a rebuke from Ozzie or even a BENCHING--he's still playing--yet Lilli makes a mental error and Ozzie tosses that kid under the bus publicly?

I think I just figured out why we suck.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 03:39 AM)
“I mean tip your hat to the other guy. I thought he had some good swings early in the game, he just missed the ball his first at-bat (by 1/32nd of an inch according to Harrelson, so so so tired of that excuse for Dunn's hitting this season, like there should be a category for "just missed it, hang whiff 'ems"). It just didn't work out.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011080.../#ixzz1Tnx6YLdp

i hate when people say that. you miss every pitch by 1/32 of an inch. how can you make contact if you miss it by more?

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Yes Ozzie beat up on Brent the one who beat out that play at 1st because he ran his butt off. Continue to trot the black hole out in CF. He gives way more effort than Brent on every play. :wacko:

Ozzie has a double standard. Further evidence that he is garbage as a manager. Bashing a cheap paid utility player who at least gives effort....yet reward a trifling prima dona with start after start after start.

IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

But it's Ozzie's world....one void of logic.