Ozzie throws Lillibridge under the bus, spares Rios

caulfield12

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Ozzie has a double standard. Further evidence that he is garbage as a manager. Bashing a cheap paid utility player who at least gives effort....yet reward a trifling prima dona with start after start after start.

IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

But it's Ozzie's world....one void of logic.

He even got the OK from Kenny that he didn't have to play his highest paid players yet continues to trot Rios out there. That's inexcusable.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
He even got the OK from Kenny that he didn't have to play his highest paid players yet continues to trot Rios out there. That's inexcusable.

Whether Rios was making a zillion dollars a year or was working for free on prison furlough, under NO circumstances should he have played in at least the next innings or the next game(s) after his sickening play against Boston.

The NUMBER ONE thing we teach kids at TEE BALL level is...you bust your tail. You try. You care....

If you can't do those things, play another sport.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Whether Rios was making a zillion dollars a year or was working for free on prison furlough, under NO circumstances should he have played in at least the next innings or the next game(s) after his sickening play against Boston.

The NUMBER ONE thing we teach kids at TEE BALL level is...you bust your tail. You try. You care....

If you can't do those things, play another sport.

How do his apologists defend him in this situation?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)

I do not know dude. You can search these boards...until very recently I have NOT BEEN AN OZZIE basher. I've let go of his childish antics, his idiocy, his arrogance, his general foolishness because I thought he was a capable manager and he did bring us a World Series.

However, his handling of Rios...and then publicly bashing another player just is mind-boggling. A player who just messes up deserves no public scorn from his manager. A player who plays like he doesn't give a chit? Deserves it.

I have slowly gone from big Ozzie supporter to total disdain for the guy. I'm tired of him ... the Rios thing is the last straw. I am embarrassed that such a piece of crap is still taking starts for our team. And I totally blame Ozzie.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
I don't know. This team is so unlikeable now.

This. I can't ever recall where I've been so down and so disinterested in this team. It's a struggle to even turn them on and watch anymore they're so bad.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I do not know dude. You can search these boards...until very recently I have NOT BEEN AN OZZIE basher. I've let go of his childish antics, his idiocy, his arrogance, his general foolishness because I thought he was a capable manager and he did bring us a World Series.

However, his handling of Rios...and then publicly bashing another player just is mind-boggling. A player who just messes up deserves no public scorn from his manager. A player who plays like he doesn't give a chit? Deserves it.

I have slowly gone from big Ozzie supporter to total disdain for the guy. I'm tired of him ... the Rios thing is the last straw. I am embarrassed that such a piece of crap is still taking starts for our team. And I totally blame Ozzie.

Just imagine how some of the players feel regarding this situation. They must want to wring Guillen's neck.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Don't mention Toronto without referencing the best GM in baseball. He deserves that praise.

What's screwed up is that despite being the best GM, it's entirely feasible that his teams routinely struggle to make the playoffs. With the two financial juggernauts in his division, and the young talent of the Rays, it will be tough to make it out of there, even with his shrewd dealing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)

This really comes down to Ozzie and KW trying to save his job by making the other out to look like the bad guy. I'm fairly certain that they both know this team is going nowhere, and whether it be for money or more likely just to save their massive egos, each wants to outlast the other.

We've already seen it with Viciedo. KW tried to paint the picture that he would like to call Viciedo up, but Ozzie wouldn't play him if he did. Ozzie came out with the retort that he would play Viciedo if he were on the team. In this situation, I'm sure we all know that Viciedo would have ridden the bench.

Now we're seeing them argue over the situation with Rios and Dunn. KW says that the best player should be starting no matter the salary. Ozzie continues to force both of them into the starting lineup 9 out of 10 times because, and he's correct in this assumption, some people will say "What choice does he have? He has to play the guys the GM gave him."

We have two children at the helm of this franchise. And their daddy is too much of a p**** to spank either of them.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Hopefully he's just setting up his eventual decision to take his talents to South Beach...

I cancelled my MLB package and I think it's the best decision I could have made. f*** this team and f*** this management...

If the viewpoint of the average fan is anything like it is on Soxtalk, there will be big changes this offseason. If not, and I don't think JR is that stupid, next season will see the lowest attendance in probably my entire lifetime.

I'm not sure if the average fan is as livid as us, but I think they are thoroughly uninterested in the team.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
If the viewpoint of the average fan is anything like it is on Soxtalk, there will be big changes this offseason.

It clearly is, as attendance is absolutely woeful despite being somewhat close to the division lead.

I'm pretty much over it at this point. I've made the choice not to give a s*** what happens to this team until every trace of the Guillen family is gone and so far it's working out pretty well for me. I no longer get incredibly frustrated over stupid things that i can't control. I'm just going to wait out the storm.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
If the viewpoint of the average fan is anything like it is on Soxtalk, there will be big changes this offseason. If not, and I don't think JR is that stupid, next season will see the lowest attendance in probably my entire lifetime.

I'm not sure if the average fan is as livid as us, but I think they are thoroughly uninterested in the team.

I think it's WORSE actually because if us hardcores don't give a crap, the averages must give even less of one. Not to mention the casuals.

Oh, and it's very noticeable not just in the seats, but in the concourses, especially UD, where you see less and less vendor stations or most of them closing down around the 7th inning. Speaking of which, people started leaving the game en masse in the 7th on Sunday. We were only one run down at that point.

But they knew.

QUOTE (shlammajamma @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Although he has had his feuds with other latin american players, i feel ozzie favors them sometimes...

I honestly think Ozzie has a real problem with young white players. I don't know why though... Obviously he's a fan of Konerko and Thome, but they're veterans. And I think it's a pretty damn well established fact that Ozzie prefer's Vets over Rookies/Young Players.

It's just another in a long series of issues that should be resolved with his firing/trading to Miami....

And yet, for a myriad of reasons, we've never brought anything close to a superstar Hispanic player in the prime of his career to the Sox during Ozzie's reign of terror.

Heck, if we just took Victor Martinez for less money than Dunn, we'd still probably be leading the AL Central.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
I honestly think Ozzie has a real problem with young white players. I don't know why though... Obviously he's a fan of Konerko and Thome, but they're veterans. And I think it's a pretty damn well established fact that Ozzie prefer's Vets over Rookies/Young Players.

It's just another in a long series of issues that should be resolved with his firing/trading to Miami....

It's hard to tell what the issue is, but I think it more has to do with the fact that we have such a lack of latino players in our system, we don't really get a chance to see how Ozzie relates to them. Most of the young guys we've called up during the Ozzie era are just mediocre white players. I think it's more that Ozzie just prefers veteran players.

Every player will have a bad play, a bad at bat just a bad day period, but Lillibridge has contributed with sac bunts, good fielding plays and clutch hits on more than one occassion plus he has moved around to maybe 6 different positions this season. I am trying to remember when Rios has delivered? Maybe he has, but he has sucked so bad and for so long this year it's hard to remember anything positive.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Every player will have a bad play, a bad at bat just a bad day period, but Lillibridge has contributed with sac bunts, good fielding plays and clutch hits on more than one occassion plus he has moved around to maybe 6 different positions this season. I am trying to remember when Rios has delivered? Maybe he has, but he has sucked so bad and for so long this year it's hard to remember anything positive.

There hasn't been one game this year where I felt Rios was the difference maker in a win.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Guess who's in the starting lineup again! It's our favorite guy, Rios!!!

It's funny.

Rios wasn't all that hated on here until just recently. People still talked about his raw ability. I am glad to see Rios hitting Dunn territory in terms of fans hating him. I've hated his game a long long time.