some youth to work with

mataipaepae

Flowers, de aza, Stewart, and sale have all shown some good things since the being called up or in sale case the start of the year.

Flowers- if he continues to improve the rest of the year I would love to see him get the job next year. First of all we would save some money. Flowers also has a better arm. I think he has done fairly well behind the plate and has shown great improvement with his bat. Having Castro back him up would be great for him

De aza- I think has looked good. He would also give us a better centerfield play. He has great speed. He will also be cheaper than Juan.

Stewart- boy what a great start yesterday. If he could show that the rest of these year, I would be comfortable with him as the 5th starter next year. Making Floyd or humber tradeable.

Sale- i want this guy starting. We have Santiago who could take his bullpen spot. Huge arm with great stuff. He then makes either either Beurhle or Danks tradeable.

With the guys tradeable we could really start to stock pile the farm system. I also think quinten will get traded this offseason as Rios is untradeable and viceado needs to be brought up. Rios has looked better this searies with the twins. Lets hope the hand placement thing works out and starts playing better.

One thing I think we will look for is a third baseman this offseason. If we could use our trade assets to aquifer David Wright, this would be ideal. So lets say we give them CQ and Danks for Wright and three prospects. Morel can then be a utility guy for the infield teach him second and first this offseason.

So this is what we could look like

Starting pitchers;

1. Beurhle

2. Peavy

3. Floyd

4. Sale

5. Stewart

Field;

C- flowers

1st- konerko

2nd- Beckham

3rd- Wright

SS- Ramirez

LF- Rios

CF- de aza

RF- viceado

DH- Dunn

Bench;

Lillibridge

Morel

visquel

Castro

Maybe pick up an aging power bat for the bench too. Like maybe bring a thome back(or something like this).

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Flowers, de aza, Stewart, and sale have all shown some good things since the being called up or in sale case the start of the year.

Flowers- if he continues to improve the rest of the year I would love to see him get the job next year. First of all we would save some money. Flowers also has a better arm. I think he has done fairly well behind the plate and has shown great improvement with his bat. Having Castro back him up would be great for him

De aza- I think has looked good. He would also give us a better centerfield play. He has great speed. He will also be cheaper than Juan.

Stewart- boy what a great start yesterday. If he could show that the rest of these year, I would be comfortable with him as the 5th starter next year. Making Floyd or humber tradeable.

Sale- i want this guy starting. We have Santiago who could take his bullpen spot. Huge arm with great stuff. He then makes either either Beurhle or Danks tradeable.

With the guys tradeable we could really start to stock pile the farm system. I also think quinten will get traded this offseason as Rios is untradeable and viceado needs to be brought up. Rios has looked better this searies with the twins. Lets hope the hand placement thing works out and starts playing better.

One thing I think we will look for is a third baseman this offseason. If we could use our trade assets to aquifer David Wright, this would be ideal. So lets say we give them CQ and Danks for Wright and three prospects. Morel can then be a utility guy for the infield teach him second and first this offseason.

So this is what we could look like

Starting pitchers;

1. Beurhle

2. Peavy

3. Floyd

4. Sale

5. Stewart

Field;

C- flowers

1st- konerko

2nd- Beckham

3rd- Wright

SS- Ramirez

LF- Rios

CF- de aza

RF- viceado

DH- Dunn

Bench;

Lillibridge

Morel

visquel

Castro

Maybe pick up an aging power bat for the bench too. Like maybe bring a thome back(or something like this).

Ok, first of all don't be surprised if people give you some hell for the spelling of some of our players, people are pretty touchy about that.

Secondly, you cannot "trade" Buehrle as he is a free agent at the end of the year, so please drop this idea. Third, since AJ backloaded his contract and will be paid 6M next season, it's going to be tough getting a taker for that price unless the Sox were willing to kick in 2-3M or so in that deal. Also remember AJ is a 10/5 guy now too so he'd have to accept the trade if I am not mistaken.

Yes, it appears we have some options for 2012 and can make some moves in the offseason and even possibly "rebuild on the run" next year, it could be a totally different looking starting rotation, and the options you discuss there are legitimate IMO.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Ok, first of all don't be surprised if people give you some hell for the spelling of some of our players, people are pretty touchy about that.

Secondly, you cannot "trade" Buehrle as he is a free agent at the end of the year, so please drop this idea. Third, since AJ backloaded his contract and will be paid 6M next season, it's going to be tough getting a taker for that price unless the Sox were willing to kick in 2-3M or so in that deal. Also remember AJ is a 10/5 guy now too so he'd have to accept the trade if I am not mistaken.

Yes, it appears we have some options for 2012 and can make some moves in the offseason and even possibly "rebuild on the run" next year, it could be a totally different looking starting rotation, and the options you discuss there are legitimate IMO.

That's why I showed Danks getting tradedto the Mets and Beurhle as our starter.

I think aj needs to be traded. I think floaters gives us everything aj does especially with Castro as his backup. He seemed to call a good game with Peavy today. Sure aj probably gives us a better batting average (.270) while flowers might be lower (.250) but he will give us 15-20 more homeruns and more speed on the base to go from 1st to 3rd.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
That's why I showed Danks getting tradedto the Mets and Beurhle as our starter.

I think aj needs to be traded. I think floaters gives us everything aj does especially with Castro as his backup. He seemed to call a good game with Peavy today. Sure aj probably gives us a better batting average (.270) while flowers might be lower (.250) but he will give us 15-20 more homeruns and more speed on the base to go from 1st to 3rd.

The problem is, Flowers's .250 batting average from the minors is unlikely to translate to the bigs without a big dropoff. We're much more likely to be talking sub -.200 given his strikeout rates, unless he snaps things together. He hits .250 in the bigs he's probably hitting 30+ home runs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
Nope, the Pirates need players they can control at LEAST 3-4 years.

That doesn't fit with what's really best for their long-term interests. At least the Indians have Jimenez for 3 years at "cheap" rates.

Ok lets say they agree to contracts before the trade.

Judist some of you are specific Sally's! Good grief open your imagination some.

To imagine David Wright on the 2012 White Sox with almost $60 million already tied into Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Konerko/AJ....not seeing how it's possible.

Even if we traded them Quentin/Danks/Thornton, it's not a logical trade long-term for a Mets team trying to compete right now but dealing with financial issues with the Madoff suit that are potentially debilitating.

Think of the Ubaldo Jimenez deal. They would want Sale, Viciedo and Alexei Ramirez (if they can't keep Reyes). Making that trade from the Sox standpoint would be close to insane.

You get rid of Danks AND Buehrle AND Quentin to fit David Wright onto the payroll, you're not any better than you started off, and probably worse...because starting pitching is the team's strength and now all of a sudden it's a huge weakness.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
Ok lets say they agree to contracts before the trade.

Judist some of you are specific Sally's! Good grief open your imagination some.

Welcome to Soxtalk. If Kenny Williams posted trade proposals here ,there would be 20 guys telling him how bad that trade is. Some would be right too. Trades are trades, gotta give to get so nothing is perfect. Take the criticism with a grain of salt. I don't agree with everything you said but I'm liking our pitching and we can trade some guys coming off good seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
Nope, the Pirates need players they can control at LEAST 3-4 years.

That doesn't fit with what's really best for their long-term interests. At least the Indians have Jimenez for 3 years at "cheap" rates.

The Pirates screwed up by not taking the opportunity that they had to run after this division.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
This is a franchise that hasn't had a winning season since Barry Bonds was skinny. If they missed their window, they might as well move the team.

The Pirates are a unique franchise. They still have good attendance (for the team they roll out every year), yet they are almost always essentially eliminated by the middle of July. I think having a winning (or even .500) season would be a huge step for them. I am surprised they didn't make more of a splash at the deadline, though. If their owners and GM are smart, they'll continue to build their youth while mixing in some impact veterans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
This is a franchise that hasn't had a winning season since Barry Bonds was skinny. If they missed their window, they might as well move the team.

If this was their window, then they're totally screwed anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
How many chances do you think a team that has been in perpetual sell mode gets?

If they put together a decent core, 3-4 consecutive years (See: Tampa). If they don't put together a decent core, then they can make a run for it and set themselves back another 5 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
If they put together a decent core, 3-4 consecutive years (See: Tampa). If they don't put together a decent core, then they can make a run for it and set themselves back another 5 years.

Or most likely prospect do, what prospects usually do, and they go right back to trading off guys and floundering in the bottom of their division.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Or most likely prospect do, what prospects usually do, and they go right back to trading off guys and floundering in the bottom of their division.

And in that case, they wouldn't have competed this year anyway, and they'd probably wind up having to cut back further on salary to make up for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
And in that case, they wouldn't have competed this year anyway, and they'd probably wind up having to cut back further on salary to make up for it.

Not if they brought in accomplished players to try and compete. With the prospects they have, they could have outbid most for the big names out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Not if they brought in accomplished players to try and compete. With the prospects they have, they could have outbid most for the big names out there.

But I'm not sure that there was a big name even deserving of their guys. If they'd gone after Hunter Pence, Quentin, Jiminez, etc., they'd have had to give up a ton for guys who probably wouldn't put them over the top this year, and who they couldn't have afforded to keep for more than a year or two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
If this was their window, then they're totally screwed anyway.

In some instances, that isn't their fault. (well.. the players anyway) This front office has shown they are willing to spend though (at least in the draft), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But this is an org. that has been considered cheap for several years now. In some instances, ss2k5 is right once their young studs are gonna wanna be paid down the line before the Taillons, Allies, Sanchez, etc. of the world are established MLB players (if all goes right of course). In alot of ways most of their pitching is clicking (or having career years) at the right time. That may never happen again even with the young talent they could potentially have. They have to land quality FAs/trades though to help them. (which goes back to the cheap issue.. in the past)